Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill 2009

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The character references were identified as a mistake arising from an incorrect Irish Times article - we've been told that they won't be brought in as a blanket precondition for everyone.

BornToKill wrote: »
    A member of the guards won't be able to act as a referee.
    Last I heard, who could and could not be a referee wasn't set in stone yet.
    By the way, none of this is new stuff. It all came from the findings of the Barr Tribunal after Abbeylara and was made the law three years ago. Misc. Provisions Bill 2006.
    No, what was put in the law was that the local Super could, if he wished, ask for those references. Then the Irish Times misreported a speech of the Ministers recently, saying that the Minister had said that the Misc.Bill meant everyone had to supply references. The DoJ have since been in touch to say that's not the intention, that it would only happen in specific cases where the Garda wasn't sure of the character of the applicant and that therefore anyone with a licence wouldn't be asked for references when reapplying this year (which makes sense because to do so would be to effectively state that a Garda Superintendent broke the law giving out a licence to that applicant in the first place).

Sikamick wrote: »
    Maybe Sparks might be able to respond to the question ? - 8 page document, will one have to complete 8 pages for each firearm.
    It's still one licence per firearm, so you'd get one form per firearm; if it's an 8-pager, the odds are you wouldn't fill out all 8 pages, you'd probably find a page or two are for all applicants and then some pages will be for shotgun licence applications only, some for rifle and some for pistol, some for hunting only, some for target shooting only and so on. That's speculation, mind, based on the other forms the civil service produces for this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

BornToKill wrote: »
    you won't be asked to supply references, you will be asked to supply the names of two referees.

Sparks wrote: »
    No, what was put in the law was that the local Super could, if he wished, ask for those references.

I don't think we're in disagreement on this.

No, but there's a gap between "you will be asked" and "new applicants may in some cases be asked", and the DoJ is saying it'll be the latter, and only in exceptional cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

As I understand it, everyone will have to supply the names of two people as referees. References from these two people will only be taken up in exceptional cases and not as the norm. Do you think I have that wrong?

I'm saying I had a phone call from the DoJ to officially say that's not their intention BTK.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

Feels like we're already in the knackers yard:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

True sportsmen. Nice PPE they're wearing by the way:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Minister announces that the Gardai are aware of combat training throughout the country but Gardai are pwerless to stop it without a ban on pistol licensing
    [/QUOTE]

Nor provide proof of this activity happening in a public forum ,court of law or place of privilige,like in the Dail.Or provide it to any repersentatives of IPSA.Just "anecdotal" evidence.[While ignoring odd activities of "combat training" in Min Aherns own backyard].Which in Min Aherns proposed police state is good enough for conviction these days.:(

"Anecdotal evidence " suggests Min Aherne is a raving nutter.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

To address the one point dismayed made that wasn't basicly "dem olympian boys done us wrong" (gosh, where have we heard that before?), the phone call was official on the DoJ side. On my side, it was just me, representing noone, and not the sole recipient of such a call on that topic (and my guess is that I got that phone call because I'm the one first posted about the story in the Times). Several folks have gotten similar calls, and frankly, there are more posters in here who know the people in the DoJ than there are posters who don't - if you want to know, phone them. Feck's sake, they're just people, you don't have to pass an official test before you get to talk to them. Sheesh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 paddyenfield303

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Minister announces that the Gardai are aware of combat training throughout the country but Gardai are pwerless to stop it without a ban on pistol licensing

Nor provide proof of this activity happening in a public forum ,court of law or place of privilige,like in the Dail.Or provide it to any repersentatives of IPSA.Just "anecdotal" evidence.[While ignoring odd activities of "combat training" in Min Aherns own backyard].Which in Min Aherns proposed police state is good enough for conviction these days.:(

"Anecdotal evidence " suggests Min Aherne is a raving nutter.[/quote]

"combat training" yes - no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

Is someone talking to themselves again,
    without login out of the first account before doing so ?
    Dvs.

Old Today, 13:22 #1214
    paddyenfield303

Adverts | Friends

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paddyenfield303 View Post
    Nor provide proof of this activity happening in a public forum ,court of law or place of privilige,like in the Dail.Or provide it to any repersentatives of IPSA.Just "anecdotal" evidence.[While ignoring odd activities of "combat training" in Min Aherns own backyard].Which in Min Aherns proposed police state is good enough for conviction these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWZaBVW4TPk&NR=1
    "combat training" yes - no[/quote]

Paddy can you prove that this video was taken in S/Ireland

Sikamick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭PJ Hunter

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0703/1224249968695.html

practical stopped here, the minister has no problem with bull's eye:)

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Yes Dvs you right , caught with my trousers down again but it doesn't take from the question is what shown on the video Practical shooting.

Sikamick
    aka Paddyenfield303

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

I think the question you asked yourself was,

"Paddy can you prove that this video was taken in S/Ireland

Sikamick"

So answer that one...........

Dvs.

Doesn't look like Hilltop, but that's the only range that shot IPSC stuff that I've been on - some of the others can no doubt tell you which range it is, but it looks more like the N.Ireland range in this clip to me:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭meathshooter

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

gardai can revoke the cert minister so how are they powerless or is it that they would rather put there resourses into catching real criminals

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Slav

PJ Hunter wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0703/1224249968695.html

practical stopped here, the minister has no problem with bull's eye:)

No problems with bull's eye whatsoever. You have a great choice of ISSF standard pistol, ISSF free pistol, ISSF air pistol or a pre-Nov'08 licensed full-bore for it. Which means the bulls eye disciplines will be effectively dead or in deep coma in this country. Thank you Minister. What a safe place to live we'll get in return!

Of course, what we could do is just use the next year or two until the general election to build up the pistol-shooting base in this country and then leverage that to lobby for a change in the law.

Just sayin'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 dismayed

what we could do is just use the next year or two until the general election to build up the pistol-shooting base in this country and then leverage that to lobby for a change in the law
    That was done already but when those that were lobbying started to get some traction the NGBs all lined up at the bar and asked 'would you like some help pushing in your stool?'

Dismayed

PS: Thanks for deleting my earler post - sorry for annoying [they who shall not be named] - all referenced removed.

I will post some of it again for posterity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 dismayed

Mick/Paddy/Lee/everyone else in that overcrowded head.

That video you posted is not IPSC. It may well have been called practical pistol by those involved but if you look closely you will see that it does not use the IPSC target.

Which one of your personalities took that one? Did you win? Did any of you win? Were you congratulated by the other people in your head afterwards or do they not know about it?

Sparks, you will find that Hilltop - and everywhere else in Ireland who held IPSC matches - only ever used IPSC targets so it could nopt have been here.

As the minister said - a cursory search on the internet will find you anything you want - especially from the states, people claiming to be able to bend spoons with their mind, people who can tell the future, people who have been to alien worlds on which they were subjected to anal probes and can't wait to go back. Of course you will find people who say they are doing IPSC when they are not aswell - doesn't make them any less likely to end up on the Jerry Springer show - sorry - I meant the Dail.

Dismayed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Mr Mole

It is with a sense of outrage that I have read the posts from "Sikamick
    aka Paddyenfield303". It would appear that the only intent in posting under one name and answering under another was to discredit genuine sportsmen and women who committ the sin in his eyes, of partaking in a shooting discipline that he himself does not like.

Rather than permitting other people to enjoy their sport, an abhorent intolerance and underhandedness was displayed. In this context, I hope that the next post by "Sikamick aka Paddyenfield303" will be an apology, and that that post will be his last ever on any internet forum.

Regarding the video, it is inconsequential whether the shooting was in Ireland North or South, or elsewhere. It appeared safe, regulated, and controlled, and obviously under proper rules and procedures. I saw none of the humanoid targets that are spoken of, no combat or tactical element, and was not "combat shooting in disguise" as recently described by the Minister for Justice and Law Reform. Neither did I see "house invasions" "house clearing" or anything resembling it.

It is behaviour like "Sikamick aka Paddyenfield303" has displayed that has divided and destroyed the shooting community, and has ked us to where we are today. Be proud of what you have achieved so far, "Sikamick aka Paddyenfield303". It is only regretful that we all have little knowledge of what you have been gossiping about while off Boards.:(

dismayed wrote: »
    Sparks, you will find that Hilltop - and everywhere else in Ireland who held IPSC matches - only ever used IPSC targets so it could nopt have been here.
    Actually, I just know it wasn't Hilltop because that's not what the bays in Hilltop look like (they're not continuous like that).

dismayed wrote: »
    That was done already but when those that were lobbying started to get some traction the NGBs all lined up at the bar and asked 'would you like some help pushing in your stool?'
    Not what happened.
    Feck's sake dismayed, if you don't even know how wrong you are there, what's the bloody point?
    You might as well be arguing that airsoft should be banned because you could put a .50 cal round in one of them and use it as an assault rifle FFS.
    PS: Thanks for deleting my earler post - sorry for annoying [they who shall not be named] - all referenced removed.
    I will post some of it again for posterity
    And it's deleted again. You're not annoying the NTSA, btw, or at least they've not complained yet. You are, however, ticking off people on your own side of the fence, so to speak, and they are complaining. You want to sling mud dismayed, go find somewhere else to do it. If you've some evidence, post it. But frankly, I could just as easily speculate that all of this is because of some farmer in Mayo and it'd be as valid as what you're posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Yes Dvs you right , caught with my trousers down again but it doesn't take from the question is what shown on the video Practical shooting.

Sikamick
    aka Paddyenfield303

That video is obviously from Northern Ireland. The person that uploaded it has lots of other NI-related videos, and their profile lists their country as the United Kingdom:

http://www.youtube.com/user/308mate

In addition the accent of the RO in the video is Northern, and no centre-fire range that I know of in ROI has a nice tarmac surface in front of the backstop, I think that's out of our price range facilities-wise. :)

Big numbers on top of the backstop make it look like a long range rifle range to me. As has been mentioned, the targets are not IPSC either.

So the video isn't IPSC and isn't Irish. It's really uncool of you to try and de-rail this discussion with fake accounts tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Sikamick
    aka Paddyenfield303

Will those who are not Sikamickaka Paddyenfield303 please raise their right hands:D:D:D

Folks, the sock puppetry point was made before DvS's post, and will be dealt with, can we get back on topic now please?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

"combat training" yes - no[/quote]

If that was combat training I wouldn't give much for the competitors life expectancy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Between "practical pistol" and combat pistol training

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWZaBVW4TPk

NO Combat shooting ....SPORT!:)
    Minister NO ban this!!

WORLD of Difference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHB7R-aL9Go Combat shooting...
    BAD!:mad:Minister Ban this!!!

Cant make this any simpler!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement