Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill 2009

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Jonty wrote: »
    Before centrefire rifle is finished too?

Before it's signed in and commenced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0717/crime.html

El Presidente is not happy with something.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Bond-007 wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0717/crime.html
    El Presidente is not happy with something.

Yes, but something in the other Criminal Justice Bill. Not our one :(

Did she sign our one?

Don't know yet bond, haven't seen it reported anywhere yet. No reason to think she won't just rubber-stamp it though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

I suppose she will just sign our one with no questions asked.
    All the shooting bodies really need to get their **** together now because of this, it's only the start and the sooner people realise this the better.
    I hope Ahern enjoys his badly needed summer break......??????

Todays edition of iris offigiuil will have the news.

Figured it would, but I've been watching it for a few days and nothing yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭pajero2005

Heard on the news driving home from work that the president has called for some committee or other to see if the CJB is constitutional. Will the Miscellaneous Bill be part of that review? Or is it a done deal for sure by now?

Different Bill pajero...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

it'd be still a kick in the town halls for ahern and the fianna fail trash who run this unfortunate country .
    i thought this president and the last were only concerned with do-gooding and looking out members of the tourist community , maybe they'll be worth having for once .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

Hi lads.

Forgive me for just posting this. But time is not on my side. I am out of Ireland and only get 15 mins online every other day.

Whats going on are pistols gone? Are they being renewed. I have my permits since day one.
    I left my pistols with a dealer before i left.

Il be home in 3 months.

Blazher wrote: »
    Hi lads.

Forgive me for just posting this. But time is not on my side. I am out of Ireland and only get 15 mins online every other day.

Whats going on are pistols gone? Are they being renewed. I have my permits since day one.
    I left my pistols with a dealer before i left.

Il be home in 3 months.
    New leglislation brought in by the minister for justice????? banning all new licences for fullbore pistols.
    if you had your pistol since before 19th nov 2008 then you can keep them but need to reapply and satisfy new criteria.
    loads of other stuff but thats it regarding pistols.
    if you get a chance read this thread from the start,it will explain better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭fiattech

Ok let me try to make myself a bit clearer. i want tot know whether i am IN or OUT. i have a shotgun ,a brono .22 rifle and a 270 remington 700 mountain rifle for the past 19 years. i am a member of a target shooting gun club. i have insurance my home is secure. i have an application in with my super since 01/01/09 for a pistol it is a pre owned .22 browning buckmark i have done a one day course in pistol handling and safety i had a meeting with my super in march and i was told that he would have no problem giving it to me but he was told not to issue any pistol licence's until the CJB was sorted out i gave him a letter from my club i also had 2 character reference one from a priest and one from my employer i gave him the pistol handling cert . so my question is should i withdraw my application now or have i any chance of geting it now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Unless it was applied for before Nov 18th 2008.....Honestly Fiat,as the new laws state you are out!Sorry..:( Only chance is maybe for "Olympic Style" pistol shooting
    .Now who,what, when ,where this will happen is .........sofar.... unknown lands,where they be Dragons.. You might have a chance there.:confused:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

fiattech wrote: »
    Ok let me try to make myself a bit clearer. i want tot know whether i am IN or OUT. i have a shotgun ,a brono .22 rifle and a 270 remington 700 mountain rifle for the past 19 years. i am a member of a target shooting gun club. i have insurance my home is secure. i have an application in with my super since 01/01/09 for a pistol it is a pre owned .22 browning buckmark i have done a one day course in pistol handling and safety i had a meeting with my super in march and i was told that he would have no problem giving it to me but he was told not to issue any pistol licence's until the CJB was sorted out i gave him a letter from my club i also had 2 character reference one from a priest and one from my employer i gave him the pistol handling cert . so my question is should i withdraw my application now or have i any chance of geting it now ?

sure let run ,what harm will it do .

you should get your intended club to right a letter stating that your going to join and participate in target shooting on condition you get your licence.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

so my question is should i withdraw my application now or have i any chance of geting it now ?

You gain nothing by withdrawing your application. If the super issues it, all well and good. If he doesn't, well then you can figure out what you want to do then.

Ok let me try to make myself a bit clearer. i want tot know whether i am IN or OUT.
    Probably IN.
    You definitely won't get it for hunting (and it's a crime to fill in your application form using one reason when meaning to use it for another).
    But target shooting with a .22 pistol is still allowed, you can still apply for and obtain licences for that (it's the fullbores that aren't allowed). The buckmark might get given grief over not being designed for ISSF shooting (it's "suitable for" rather than "designed from the ground up for"), or it might not (AFAIK, it's the Super's call). You definitely could shoot ISSF stuff with a buckmark - we've seen them in NTSA pistol matches, doing reasonably well too. It wouldn't be terribly competitive at international level, but if you had one already, why not. If you were picking something out for yourself from scratch though, there are better choices (something like a baikal would cost around the same price range and be more accurate, if a little less pretty...)

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

I suppose you could argue the case that by fitting an ergonomic grip, such as Nill or Rink, the buckmark pistol is then designed for olympic style shooting. If I still had my buckmark, thats what I would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JohnClarke

how ya doing mate,

can you tell me what the hell is goin on with the new firearms licence?

i went down to my local station with my application form and permits to apply for my licence and my local seargeant told me to get the new application form off the garda website, only i cant find it anywhere

so what do i do??

and when can i apply??

and how long will it take to get my licence?

thanks alot mate.

john

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

JohnClarke wrote: »
    how ya doing mate,

can you tell me what the hell is goin on with the new firearms licence?
    It's in the middle of a changeover which will be completed in the next month or so.
    i went down to my local station with my application form and permits to apply for my licence and my local seargeant told me to get the new application form off the garda website, only i cant find it anywhere
    It's not there yet, but will be soon I'd say. Your local was jumping the gun a bit ;)
    so what do i do??
    Wait a few weeks. The old licence period expires at the end of this month. The new three year licence has not yet become law, so it's in a bit of a limbo period. I'd expect it to be sorted by the end of the month, but it might take a little longer.
    and when can i apply??
    Right now in theory. However I'd leave it for a couple of weeks because as things stand there's a lot of pieces of the jigsaw to fall into place and you're not going to gain any time by applying in the middle of the changeover.
    and how long will it take to get my licence?
    Again, assuming the necessary bits of legislation are commenced on time, you should get your licence or a refusal within three months of applying.

Still nothing in today's Iris.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

rrpc wrote: »
    It's in the middle of a changeover which will be completed in the next month or so.

It's not there yet, but will be soon I'd say. Your local was jumping the gun a bit ;)

Wait a few weeks. The old licence period expires at the end of this month. The new three year licence has not yet become law, so it's in a bit of a limbo period. I'd expect it to be sorted by the end of the month, but it might take a little longer.

Right now in theory. However I'd leave it for a couple of weeks because as things stand there's a lot of pieces of the jigsaw to fall into place and you're not going to gain any time by applying in the middle of the changeover.

Again, assuming the necessary bits of legislation are commenced on time, you should get your licence or a refusal within three months of applying.

But what happens if you only get an extension till 01/11/09 and only apply on 01/10/09. They have 3 months to to answer you from 01/10/09 which is 01/01/10. Therefore you could be without your licence/firearm from 01/11/09 to 01/01/10

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

But what happens if you only get an extension till 01/11/09 and only apply on 01/10/09. They have 3 months to to answer you from 01/10/09 which is 01/01/10. Therefore you could be without your licence/firearm from 01/11/09 to 01/01/10

No. you have three months to apply, not three months to get the renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Not according to section 30(9)

(9) A decision on an application for a firearm
    certificate or its renewal shall be given within 3
    months from the date on which the applicant submitted
    a completed application form.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

Not according to section 30(9)
    Sorry Tony, I misread you.

In that case you go into your Garda Station and ask for a further extension or failing that, give them your firearm ;)

But we're sort of guessing here as we don't know exactly how these extension letters are going to be worded and how long exactly the extension will be.

For example it could be: "Your firearms cert is extended until 01/11/2009 and you must apply for its renewal now"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

In the past you licenses was renewed and you simply went to get it - there was no applciation process and it would not be revoked unless you dirtied your bib.

Now - There are no renewals - all licenses will be revoked.

You must apply for a new license as the current license will expire (be revoked) on the date the extension runs out.

The Guidelines the Gardai will receieve between now and November will tell them what types of firearms they are not to process license applications for.

B'Man

Bananaman wrote: »
    In the past you licenses was renewed and you simply went to get it - there was no applciation process and it would not be revoked unless you dirtied your bib.

You must apply for a new license as the current license will expire (be revoked) on the date the extension runs out.

The Guidelines the Gardai will receieve between now and November will tell them what types of firearms they are not to process license applications for.

B'Man
    Will we get to see that list or the gardas guidelines in relation to whats a yes and whats a no??
    That would be very helpful and save us from wasting time with applications that are going to be refused.

Bananaman wrote: »

This is just wrong. You are renewing your licence, but the mechanism is that you re-apply because the new licence is completely different and requires more information which will be on the form. Most of this relates to description of firearms which as many of us know here are in a lot of cases totally wrong. I know one guy on this board who has an 80mmm Walther target rifle :D
    All licences expire every year on the 31st July. You do actually reapply every year anyway, as that's the form you send in to get your new licence every year. You should spend a bit of time with section 53 of the 2006 act to familiarise yourself with what exectly could happen any 31st July in the past.
    This is just scaremongerinig and has no basis in fact. As you can reapply as early as you receive your notice, the guidelines will be a little late if they don't come out until November.

And the guidelines will be published, so that will put an end to scaremongering bedtime stories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Rosahane

rrpc wrote: »
    This is just wrong. You are renewing your licence, but the mechanism is that you re-apply because the new licence is completely different and requires more information which will be on the form. Most of this relates to description of firearms which as many of us know here are in a lot of cases totally wrong. I know one guy on this board who has an 80mmm Walther target rifle :D

All licences expire every year on the 31st July. You do actually reapply every year anyway, as that's the form you send in to get your new licence every year. You should spend a bit of time with section 53 of the 2006 act to familiarise yourself with what exectly could happen any 31st July in the past.

This is just scaremongerinig and has no basis in fact. As you can reapply as early as you receive your notice, the guidelines will be a little late if they don't come out until November.

And the guidelines will be published, so that will put an end to scaremongering bedtime stories.

Wait and see:(

Anybody that doesn't think that we are going to see the end of pistol and centrefire licencing is seriously deluded! Aherne's stated intention is to do this:eek:

I suppose that the only benefit of this is that all the national organisations that lickar$ed the minister and the DOJ to further their own agenda at the expense of others will probably wither also:P

Advertisement