Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill 2009

Options
1444546474850»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    [

Apply at any FF,FG,Labour,Green,SF and other consituency office.

Job requirements......Er...????
    Physical chacteristics for job
    Thick neck.
    Long nose[for sticking up certain places the Sun dont shine,or looking down at people]
    :)

And most importantly, if applying to FF, a serious phobia of truth, justice, equity and honesty. A natural talent for accepting 'political donations' is also very useful.....

The long nose refered to by Grizzly is also useful for sticking in the trough although I would call it a snout;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

http://www.irisoifigiuil.ie/currentissues/ir240709.PDF

Signed in on the 21st.

I take it Ahern has already commenced the act?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭guns4fun

ezridax wrote: »
    I'm aware that an article 7 will suffice if say buying up the north and bringing the handgun in personally. Is that what you mean? If you have other info please elaborate.

My firearm dealer has a brand new model of the firearm i'm after but tbh i was nervous of losing my license if i changed before the CJB was signed in. Only good thing is he said no-one will be buying it so he can hold it and if i can change without losing the license he'll do a deal with me. Hence the reason for posting on this thread.

Don't know lads but if a ban on fullbore pistols in in then a dealer has no chance of selling on a pistol so won't take a trade in.
    Looks like anyone who gets to keep their pistols are going to be stuck with it cos nobody will get a licence for it.
    Unless you are willing to scrap the gun and get a replacement thats the only way I see how you could change gun.
    Then the gun you want to change to would have to be in the country already cos you will not get an article7 to import it.
    A big load of boll** but thats looks like how it is.
    F**k fianna fail anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

guns4fun wrote: »
    Unless you are willing to scrap the gun and get a replacement thats the only way I see how you could change gun.Then the gun you want to change to would have to be in the country already cos you will not get an article7 to import it.

No, I don't think so. You won't be able to 'scrap' a gun and get a new one. If you had a license for a handgun before 19/11/08 then you can apply for a new license for that gun. That seems to be what the new Act says:

Restriction on
    licensing of
    short firearms.

30 3D.—(1) As and from the date of commencement
    of this section, no application for a firearm
    certificate in respect of a short firearm shall be
    considered by an issuing person other than for—

(c) a short firearm for which the applicant
    for the firearm certificate held a firearm certificate on or before 19 November 2008.

That does not appear to allow the possibility of changing - even like-for-like. The pre-November handguns will be like those 60s American cars you see in Cuba.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

BornToKill wrote: »
    No, I don't think so. You won't be able to 'scrap' a gun and got a new one. If you had a license for a handgun before 19/11/08 then you can apply for a new license for that gun. That seems to be what the new Act says:

Restriction on
    licensing of
    short firearms.

for the firearm certificate held a firearm certificate on or before 19 November 2008.

That does not appear to allow the possibility of changing - even like-for-like. The pre-November handguns will be like those 60s American cars you see in Cuba.
    so if someone shoots out a gun and its junk , then they're stuck with it ?
    to be honest the centrefire pistol sports are going to die here in the next few years and i can't help but feel that it would have been in some ways better if they had been confiscated and compensation paid like in britain in the 90's .
    what about changing a centrefire for a rimfire licence ? is that do-able ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

That looks like a non starter as any change is now a new application.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

rowa wrote: »
    so if someone shoots out a gun and its junk , then they're stuck with it ?
    to be honest the centrefire pistol sports are going to die here in the next few years and i can't help but feel that it would have been in some ways better if they had been confiscated and compensation paid like in britain in the 90's .
    what about changing a centrefire for a rimfire licence ? is that do-able ?

Yup!Thats the long and short of it.What you have now is what you have for good.:(It obviously wasnt worth the Govt hassle of many high court battles to decide pistol values as we are a minority anyway,that will die out unless somthing drastic happens within the next 10/15 years.

A sunset liscense.
    Maybe in the words of Byron in his poem "Do not go gently into the dark night "
    we should
    Rage!Rage against the dying of the light!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Basically Fullbore pistol owners will have what is known as a sunset license.
    License is valid (as long as the minister allows) and as shooters give up because ammo is to hard to get, gun is shot out,lack of places to shoot etc the license is surrendered or cancelled, and the sport dies out with it.

i am cursing the people who voted fianna fail back in last time , i wasn't one of them but i still get to suffer over this corrupt joke of a party .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

BornToKill wrote: »
    No, I don't think so. You won't be able to 'scrap' a gun and got a new one. If you had a license for a handgun before 19/11/08 then you can apply for a new license for that gun. That seems to be what the new Act says:

Restriction on
    licensing of
    short firearms.

You're forgetting section 11 of the 1964 Act which is still in force:

"Subject to subsection (3) of this section, the Minister or the commissioner may substitute for the description of a firearm in a firearm certificate granted by him or her the description of another firearm and, upon such substitution, the certificate shall have effect in relation to that other firearm and shall not have effect in relation to the first-mentioned firearm."

This allows the replacement of firearms. It's not going to be the same as before where the FO crossed off the old firearm and wrote in the new one because you can't do that with a plastic licence, but there's nothing in the new act that says you can't substitute.

It does say 'may' substitute, not 'will' substitute, so it's not a definite.

• Advertisement

rrpc wrote: »

"Subject to subsection (3) of this section, the Minister or the commissioner may substitute for the description of a firearm in a firearm certificate granted by him or her the description of another firearm and, upon such substitution, the certificate shall have effect in relation to that other firearm and shall not have effect in relation to the first-mentioned firearm."

This allows the replacement of firearms. It's not going to be the same as before where the FO crossed off the old firearm and wrote in the new one because you can't do that with a plastic licence, but there's nothing in the new act that says you can't substitute.

that is a crumb of comfort i suppose , we'll have to see the new guidelines and what way it will all be administered .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭guns4fun

Ok so if that will be allowed it only means that guns licenced pre 19/11 can be circulated and no new ones.
    If you want to trade your pistol one can only hope that someone who has a pre 19/11 licence wants your gun.
    Still means that current guns will at some time in the future will reach reach the end of its working life and cannot be replaced.
    This means that pistol shooting will die out anyway..

Well, considering that most modern handguns will have a life expatancy of over 500,000 rounds.That means you wil be doing an awful lot of shooting before that happens.:p.The gun burning out I mean...Getting ammo at a reasonable price or having to fight the burrocray might be a different story.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Well, considering that most modern handguns will have a life expatancy of over 500,000 rounds.That means you wil be doing an awful lot of shooting before that happens.:p.The gun burning out I mean...Getting ammo at a reasonable price or having to fight the burrocray might be a different story.
    Thats a fact,now with personal imports banned you must buy through a dealer.
    9mm costing an average of 13 quid per box and could go up,will take me years to afford the 500,000 rounds required to burn out me gun.

Be thankful you havent a .45.Somthing like 25 Euro per box of 50...
    God alone knows what .357 is here...

At those prices ,I dont think Aytollah Aherne need worry that anyone will be shooting anyone..ammo costs too much.

Chris Rock had a good line about this in one of his routines.
    This was in relation to a super tax on ammo in the US.
    ""As soon I git a job and a bank loan to pay the 5000 dollar tax on the one bullet MuthaF**ka.I'm gonna come back and pop it in yo ass!"

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Folks,
    When will we get to see the bill and all the finer details?

Terrier wrote: »
    Folks,
    When will we get to see the bill and all the finer details?
    The bill was published two months ago. It is now an Act and law, but may not have been commenced yet (The Minister does that bit, so it should be soon) and it is published on this thread somewhere and on the Oireachtas website.

On this page: http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=11787&&CatID=59

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

Well today is the 27th and our certs expire in a few days so I would imagine that the bill has to be signed into law by then and our extension letters issued also.
    Are all the countries firearms officers meeting this week to be instruced on the new bill??
    All this waiting is killing us,has anyone got any idea of the new criteria for pistol ownership or the conditions we will have to comply with???
    or what limited exceptions to olympic shooting might mean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Will the new 3 year licence apply to Moderators too. I got my Authorisation in today and it only lasts till 07/10

The training licence and the three year licence have been commenced and the fees will be €40 and €80 respectively. Don't have any linkage for it, but it will probably be in Iris Oifigiuil on Friday.

Full details on the NTSA website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

FYP :)
    The training licence and the three year licence have been commenced and the fees will be €40 and €80 respectively. Don't have any linkage for it, but it will probably be in Iris Oifigiuil on Friday.

Full details on the NTSA website

Advertisement