Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCSA/CCVP (??)/CCNP

Options
  • 22-04-2009 3:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

im thinking of doing one of these courses as it seems CCNA isnt as recognised as it was (as well as experience) which is funny...
    I have about 6 months or so to do one..which one do you think is
    A) The most useful - probably CCNP
    b) the most achievable
    c) will be able to be done in 6 months

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

I don't think the CCNA has lost its value at all!

I would think that the most useful/valuable at the moment is CCVP for the Voice stuff.
    CCNP - you can definately do that in 6 Months though. I'm half way through and I started last month.

On the other hand CCVP will hold more value. I wouldn't be too pushed on CCSA though!

Where do you want to be after it?
    How much Cisco work have you done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

Over a years work with cisco ASA and switches mainly.
    Would like to get further into WAN and security so id say ccnp would be ideal, then onto net design/proj management...would consider VP though for the jobs etc.
    yeah i thought the ccna was quite indepth for entry level, so id hope CCNP isnt a HUGE step forward..

when u say u are half way through it, have you done 2 of the exams?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Well it depends on whether you have read/labbed/worked within the scope of the CCNA or beyond.

I've covered the BSCI and BCMSN exam material but I haven't sat the exams.
    I read all the Cisco press books, used some internal Cisco training manuals that I "got" my hands on and at the moment I'm building a lab for the CCIE.

I still need to cover ISCW and ONT - working on this at the moment actually.

To be fair, it is a huge step forward IMO!
    Cisco CCNA is not an "entry level" certification in terms of IT. However, it is just that in terms of Cisco in general.

CCNP introduces multiarea/AS configuration of OSPF/EIGRP and then includes IS-IS and BGP. I would imagine that for the exams you need to be fairly specific:

e.g. knowing the different trypes of LSA's that OSPF uses by their names/numbers and uses.

I say go for the CCNP anyway if thats the direction you want to go and start with the BSCI.

On the other hand you may be interested in Juniper stuff either?

iRock

Advertisement