Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Menial Job or Dole

• 22-04-2009 3:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

Noticed alot of Irish people selling papers at the roadside and handing out the freebies in the mornings now.

I think it's a good thing to work and not claim off the dole, whats going to look better on a CV having a job through the bad times or being on the dole.

But thier is the few who think ''Ah sure i'd be better off on the dole'', this attitude really annoys me.

I know thier is the few who want to work but cant, if i was in this situation i'd have no problem selling papers by the roadside.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

im happy enough on the dole for the time been, where as i think id be miserable selling papers on the side of the road.

theres already a few threads about the dole etc. dont think we need another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

FFS. Not this again, this is done every couple of weeks, with the same sh!te over and over again...

Was offered a job a few months ago, didn't take it, again last week, didn't go ahead, supposedly working this week, but nothing...

On social but cannot get a job. The jobs I do get are not actual jobs. I don't mind any work once it is guaranteed money, none of this "earn €600 a week this is commission based, you may not make any money, terms and conditions apply" kinda crap.

Local chipper wants a deliver driver, not a problem, I could do that. Have a car, have insurance, have a licence. Problem is, every time they organise me to work there seems to be a problem. Ringing on a saturday evening at 6 saying "all our drivers are out drinking, wanna work" doesn't cut it. I wouldn't lose my social welfare for that crap. They have 2 nights a week for me, that's fine. It doesn't matter what the job is.

Also, remember that a lot of them jobs are got by affiliation.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

There's always business out there. Always has, always will be. Difference now is that you have to work extremely ****ing hard to get it. Develop skills, educate yourself (even after the leaving cert, yes - yummy books). So for people with the right amount of drive and brainpower these 2 'options' shouldn't even be considered.

I'm tired of hearing everyone moan about this climate. They see it as some sort of brick wall they just can't be arsed climbing. Brick by brick. Day by day.
    Division of class at it's best.

Selling papers? Very short term solution, yes...as is the dole. This retarded idea that you have to 'stay off the dole' is ridiculous. It's there for a reason. You bloody well pay for it. You may as well use it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Menial job ftw.

Meaning an actual job that happens to be menial. Wouldn't consider getting lung cancer selling papers at the side of the road a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I have noticed that a lot of people doing so called "menial" jobs work very hard. By that I don't mean labour, I mean do their level best to do the job properly. Perhaps they appreciate the value of their job in a way that many people in "good" jobs don't. Just an observation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Hagar wrote: »
    I have noticed that a lot of people doing so called "menial" jobs work very hard.

I would have thought the opposite, what would you consider a menial job?

Any time someone has handed me a Metro / Herald AM they don't seem to be getting any great satisfaction from their job...

Life has thought me not to consider any job menial, all jobs are good jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Any time someone has handed me a Metro / Herald AM they don't seem to be getting any great satisfaction from their job...

The Metro/Herald folk do seem very chirpy and happy for that hour of the morning though. More power to'em!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

It doesnt matter what the job is, if you do it well, the satisfaction and
    boost to esteem is worth 2 dole payments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Well I wouldn't go as far as to say all jobs are good jobs. Mary Harneys gynecologist for example...
    Fajitas! wrote: »
    The Metro/Herald folk do seem very chirpy and happy for that hour of the morning though. More power to'em!
    Fair enough, chirpy-er than I would be.

My own opinion - I wouldn't bother my arse with a 'menial' / sh!t job if I was getting the same pay on the dole.
    I could use a break from work and there's a lot I could accomplish on the dole. Last time I was on the dole I painted my sisters entire house, or spend some more time training, drinking during the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'd put peeling carrrots all day as a menial job. I did it for £2 an hour once upon a time.

I find it's the people as opposed to the job that can make or break the soul. Great team, sh|t job, it's all good. Good job, sh|t team, you'll end up hating the job. Also, what you expect from the job, as well.

I'd say the free paper job ain't bad: you give papers to people who wwant them, you don't worry about selling them, running out of money, queues, etc. I'd rather do that than peel carrots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Holy siht, a dole thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I heard the government are bringing in a new back to employment scheme where they take people off the dole and pay them to post threads about how amazing it is to see Irish people doing jobs that a few years ago only them foreign types would be doing.

Good scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Biffo The Bare

Obviously you haven't stacked shelves in Tesco. Or made thumbtacks for 20 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

It's really a matter of whether your long term unemployed or on temporary lay off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Originally Posted by Hagar
    I agree . It's not the menial job that bothers some people ,it's the thought of doing some a hard days work and grafting ,something that previous generations were not scared of doing .

Obviously you haven't stacked shelves in Tesco. Or made thumbtacks for 20 years.
    Or stacked thumbtacks on shelves in Tesco for 20 years. How well you must know me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

When hiring I'd look more favourable on a person that worked during the tough times and got through it instead of someone that went on the dole because its easier and won't lower themselves to do 'menial' jobs.

Its a job. You get paid. You earn it. Do it.

When things turn around or something better comes along, then take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

Depends. Menial or not I wouldn't feel like doing jobs where I have to wear a uniform. That's why I turned down the offer to play for Manchester United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

Its very easy for people in decent jobs to lambast the recently unemployed and say that theirs plenty of crap jobs around and that they shouldnt turn their noses up at them.They say that they wouldnt have a problem doing it etc..well more power to you.
    I have two 2:1 degrees , a masters and professional exams.I have just been made redundant in the last few weeks.I haven,t claimed the dole yet but will pretty soon(jobseekers).I,m not going to stand around all day handing out papers to earn an equivalent amount to what I am entitled.Instead I am going to use my time to seek a job which I have spent a lot of time training and studying for.If I cannot find one in say 6 months then I will emigrate and find one abroad.You can work cleaning toilets till the depression clears in about ten years if you want and then you can upgrade to "something better" but theirs no way in hell I,m going to.
    I have over the years worked in many jobs including cleaning toilets in student apartments(disgusting) and handing out free magazines but at the stage I am at in my life now I,m not going to.end of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭ahara

Rabies wrote: »
    When hiring I'd look more favourable on a person that worked during the tough times and got through it instead of someone that went on the dole because its easier and won't lower themselves to do 'menial' jobs.

Thats grand so, I'm gonna head out now and start cleaning toilets with my tongue on the off chance that I might be able to impress the likes of you at some undetermined date in the future.

And as for this little Fuhrer directive 'Its a job. You get paid. You earn it. Do it.' Who the hell do you think you are to give out orders?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

If Irish people want to turn down the menial jobs, then that's fine. But, what I hate to hear is people going on about foreign people taking Irish jobs. They ARE prepared to work hard hours for terrible pay and they put some Irish people to shame.

If we want to improve our reputation, we need to show that we are hard workers. Right now, sitting around claiming dole because a job is not good enough for them is not looked upon favourably by employers.

ahara wrote: »
    Thats grand so, I'm gonna head out now and start cleaning toilets with my tongue on the off chance that I might be able to impress the likes of you at some undetermined date in the future.
    Who says that people have to clean them with their tongue :/
    Most people use a toilet brush and some sort of cleaning chemical.

But those people are working and earning money. Sure, they mightn't like their job. But they do it. Its better than sitting on your ass complaining about the recession and claiming the dole and sending your country in to further debt.
    And as for this little Fuhrer directive 'Its a job. You get paid. You earn it. Do it.' Who the hell do you think you are to give out orders?

Eh... I'm your Führer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

It's a hard one because thankfully i'm not in that situation.

As I have no mortgage and only my rent etc to pay for, the dole might be tempting. I have been working since I was 14 and have never been on it before. So wouldn't feel bad about going on it for a short time.

However, I would imagine it would be very boring having all that extra time on your hands. A week or two is grand but any longer and i'd crack up tbh. I'm a person who likes to be busy.

I think i'd go for the menial job. At least you're out and about and meeting people.

Like my man Jonsnow above I have two degrees, both of which I worked full time while studying for. Since I was a teenager I've always had a job and have always had my own money. While working in these jobs I've paid taxes. This money went into the states social insurance fund. I signed on for the first time ever three weeks ago. Unlike a lot of people posting here I don't think I'm too good for the dole. If your lucky enough to still have your job then woop-dee-doo, I'm absolutley thrilled for you. But canyou please stop being so bloody self righteous about it.

You don't think this line reads a little bit like a command?

So... where are all these magic menial jobs you speak of?

Like my man Jonsnow above I have two degrees, both of which I worked full time while studying for.
    Fair play to you both, you had the opportuinity, the drive and the brains to get two fine sets of qualifications under your belts. I'm not the least bit surprised you don't want to do work that you consider to be below you. Neverthess there are people out there who would gladly do any one of dozens of jobs that are beneath you. There is no need to be disdainful of them or their jobs.

Nobody asked you to clean toilets with you tongue although I'm damn sure you will lick a lot of arse to climb the corporate ladder when you finally make it onto the bottom rung. It'll taste much the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

the_syco wrote: »
    I'd put peeling carrrots all day as a menial job. I did it for £2 an hour once upon a time.

I find it's the people as opposed to the job that can make or break the soul. Great team, sh|t job, it's all good. Good job, sh|t team, you'll end up hating the job. Also, what you expect from the job, as well.

I'd say the free paper job ain't bad: you give papers to people who wwant them, you don't worry about selling them, running out of money, queues, etc. I'd rather do that than peel carrots.

the people ya work with are most important,totally agree it is them who can keep your spirits up in hard times or as you say be soul destroying(especiouly the ones who grass fellow workers up because they are manipulated by being the term supervisor@ about an extra 30 cents per hour:rolleyes:

sometimes what are called menial jobs actually keep people fit and ready for a better job if for no other reason than they give ya something to get out of bed for,fill up time and stop ya becoming depressed and introverted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Indeed it is. And disobeying a mod command is against the charter and a bannable offence. So get licking toilets pronto! :D;)

Fair play to you both, you had the opportuinity, the drive and the brains to get two fine sets of qualifications under your belts. I'm not the least bit surprised you don't want to do work that you consider to be below you. Neverthess there are people out there who would gladly do any one of dozens of jobs that are beneath you. There is no need to be disdainful of them or their jobs.

Nobody asked you to clean toilets with you tongue although I'm damn sure to will lick a lot of arse to climb the corporate ladder when you finally make it onto the bottom rung. It'll taste much the same.

I never said I thought any job was beneath me. My point was that I'm sick of posters here lecturing people on the dole about what they should or should not be doing.

I'll let the hilarious corporate ladder jibe slide for now as theres daytime TV that needs watching. Anyway what the hell are all you working folk doing here during the day? Your supposed to be earning my wages for me:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Who says you have to work or be on the dole ;-)

Ive a 'hobby/pastime/passion' that pays me GREAT! I get taxed cheap and free travel and people enjoy what i do!! Also what I do makes other people money so im beign scammed!

But the meaning of jobs and work and corporate bull is never to say that being on the dole is a lesser thing in these time ive known a few men who have fallen from the heavens into the gutter and they paid plenty of tax so that now they are beign supported through this time.
    while they search for themselves beneath all this junk of recession and jobs and souls and meaning...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 BeeSee

Smyth wrote: »
    This retarded idea that you have to 'stay off the dole' is ridiculous. It's there for a reason. You bloody well pay for it. You may as well use it!

well there's two types of payments, one you mention is the benefit, which you qualify for by paying your contributions/taxes.

the other is allowance, which is means tested. can still get the full rate without every having worked a day in your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

But it's guaranteed money, that's the main thing. I'm just finishing college, probably not going to get a job in the sector I want for a while, I'd gladly work in Tesco for awhile. It's stable, you know what hours you have per week. It would give me some experience if nothing else.

Really 'menial' waste of time jobs, would be the ones that involve 'sales and marketing' positions, which is basically going door-to-door, for crap money. IMO, anyway.

. There is no need to be disdainful of them or their jobs.

I dont think that I was disdainful of anyone or their jobs in my post.I,ve spent entire summers working in crappy lowly paid jobs mostly with foreign nationals (some of them with fantastic qualifications themselves but poor english).I stated in my post that I spent one summer cleaning student apartments including their dozens of filthy toilets.How many of you can put your hand-up that you spent a considerable part of any job you,ve had scrubbing other peoples months old hardened excrement off toilet bowls.

I dont look down on people working for years in those kind of jobs.I admire their fortitude and resilence.But if you think I,m going back there your sadly mistaken.I,ve seen the bottom of the rung and I,ve tried to get myself(and have been lucky enough to) into a position whereby I don,t have to work at that level.If I cant get a decent job in Ireland then I,ll emigrate but I am not going to be stupid enough to not use my education to carve out an easier life for myself and to stand around handing out free papers.

In any job interview that I go to they wont give a s*** about the fact that instead of going on the dole I handed out free papers.I can guarantee you that.

• Advertisement

No. But it did have a bit of a tone to it.
    Sorry if I hurt your peelings
    So... where are all these magic menial jobs you speak of?
    All over, but you have too look first.
    javaboy wrote: »
    Indeed it is. And disobeying a mod command is against the charter and a bannable offence. So get licking toilets pronto! :D;)
    Ah now Ted.
    'tis only an ickle bit of fun.

lick under the rim. the hard to reach spots are a b!tch

No. But it did have a bit of a tone to it.
    Sorry if I hurt your peelings

My peelings accept your apology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Ali27

I tried to sign on and they told me they wouldn't give me any money so now I am stuck working. Irish born & bred it is shocking how they treat their own. want us all out of the country by the looks of it.

lick under the rim. the hard to reach spots are a b!tch

How do you know rabies.you live in new zealand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

in my opinion if ya have the chance to work work, dont go to the dole cause you dont like your job, hundreds of people on the dole would kill to have your job

• Advertisement

jonsnow wrote: »
    How do you know rabies.you live in new zealand.

The Furher knows almost everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Menial jobs?

Trying sorting bottles for the local pub in their yard

Might sound like an easy job until it's a sunny day and you get attacked by wasps all day

Bad memories :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Menial job - not having anything to get up for in the morning is soul-destroying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Definately Menial job! I wor in a restaurant and have had to listen to tonnes of people giving out to me about the fact it's mainly foreign nationales employed in the place, but as a point out to them don't be so prepared to criticise unless your prepared to go in and work the 10-12 hour days washing dishes, peeling veg, cleaning floors etc.....!

Irish people think they are above job's like that and it is so frustrating listening to people claiming there's no jobs and that they have to be on the dole.....just get up off your f*cking hole and start putting some effort into these ''Menial'' jobs and you'll be coming out with more money than you'd get on the dole and be more satisfied!!!!!!

/rant.

Load of rubbish, considering the limited amount of companies hiring. Tell that to the 350 thousand people unemployed that want to work. I left out the tossers who were on the dole during the celtic tiger, they don't want to work :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The one paying taxes that funds your dole money?

This argument is laughable... unbelievably weak...

You don't pay for my social welfare, I do... I have paid for it for over 10 years. So stop with the crap already, yea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Well Rabies works in NZ so probably not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

When there's nothing much around, any old job must be on the "to do" list, because when there are more non-menial jobs in the future, the CV won't have any gaps in it.

A few years ago, some local habitual dole-fiddling scumbag decided to apply for a full-time job, but he didn't have a hope when he told them that he'd been on the dole for over ten years. The fact that he'd been doing nixers and God knows what didn't come into it, because the prospective employer knew that it would take him a month of Sundays to re-adjust himself to a work routine and that his brain had probably gone to sleep years before.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    When there's nothing much around, any old job must be on the "to do" list, because when there are more non-menial jobs in the future, the CV won't have any gaps in it.

A few years ago, some local habitual dole-fiddling scumbag decided to apply for a full-time job, but he didn't have a hope when he told them that he'd been on the dole for over ten years. The fact that he'd been doing nixers and God knows what didn't come into it, because the prospective employer knew that it would take him a month of Sundays to re-adjust himself to a work routine and that his brain had probably gone to sleep years before.

I could see how that would effect someone going for a job, but for a lot of us we will be on the dole for quite some time. Given the current economic climate the employer would have to be some braindead monkey to not take this into account. Being unemployed 10 years ago wasn't a good thing, some people would not have had the skills to get work while others just didn't want to. Being on social welfare, or just being unemployed for the past year shouldn't effect anybodies application.

• Advertisement
Advertisement