Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Menial Job or Dole

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭ahara

Hagar wrote: »
    Fair play to you both, you had the opportuinity, the drive and the brains to get two fine sets of qualifications under your belts. I'm not the least bit surprised you don't want to do work that you consider to be below you. Neverthess there are people out there who would gladly do any one of dozens of jobs that are beneath you. There is no need to be disdainful of them or their jobs.

Nobody asked you to clean toilets with you tongue although I'm damn sure to will lick a lot of arse to climb the corporate ladder when you finally make it onto the bottom rung. It'll taste much the same.

I never said I thought any job was beneath me. My point was that I'm sick of posters here lecturing people on the dole about what they should or should not be doing.

I'll let the hilarious corporate ladder jibe slide for now as theres daytime TV that needs watching. Anyway what the hell are all you working folk doing here during the day? Your supposed to be earning my wages for me:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Who says you have to work or be on the dole ;-)

Ive a 'hobby/pastime/passion' that pays me GREAT! I get taxed cheap and free travel and people enjoy what i do!! Also what I do makes other people money so im beign scammed!

But the meaning of jobs and work and corporate bull is never to say that being on the dole is a lesser thing in these time ive known a few men who have fallen from the heavens into the gutter and they paid plenty of tax so that now they are beign supported through this time.
    while they search for themselves beneath all this junk of recession and jobs and souls and meaning...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 BeeSee

Smyth wrote: »
    This retarded idea that you have to 'stay off the dole' is ridiculous. It's there for a reason. You bloody well pay for it. You may as well use it!

well there's two types of payments, one you mention is the benefit, which you qualify for by paying your contributions/taxes.

the other is allowance, which is means tested. can still get the full rate without every having worked a day in your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Obviously you haven't stacked shelves in Tesco. Or made thumbtacks for 20 years.

But it's guaranteed money, that's the main thing. I'm just finishing college, probably not going to get a job in the sector I want for a while, I'd gladly work in Tesco for awhile. It's stable, you know what hours you have per week. It would give me some experience if nothing else.

Really 'menial' waste of time jobs, would be the ones that involve 'sales and marketing' positions, which is basically going door-to-door, for crap money. IMO, anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

Hagar wrote: »
    . There is no need to be disdainful of them or their jobs.

I dont think that I was disdainful of anyone or their jobs in my post.I,ve spent entire summers working in crappy lowly paid jobs mostly with foreign nationals (some of them with fantastic qualifications themselves but poor english).I stated in my post that I spent one summer cleaning student apartments including their dozens of filthy toilets.How many of you can put your hand-up that you spent a considerable part of any job you,ve had scrubbing other peoples months old hardened excrement off toilet bowls.

I dont look down on people working for years in those kind of jobs.I admire their fortitude and resilence.But if you think I,m going back there your sadly mistaken.I,ve seen the bottom of the rung and I,ve tried to get myself(and have been lucky enough to) into a position whereby I don,t have to work at that level.If I cant get a decent job in Ireland then I,ll emigrate but I am not going to be stupid enough to not use my education to carve out an easier life for myself and to stand around handing out free papers.

In any job interview that I go to they wont give a s*** about the fact that instead of going on the dole I handed out free papers.I can guarantee you that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

ahara wrote: »
    You don't think this line reads a little bit like a command?
    No. But it did have a bit of a tone to it.
    Sorry if I hurt your peelings
    So... where are all these magic menial jobs you speak of?
    All over, but you have too look first.
    javaboy wrote: »
    Indeed it is. And disobeying a mod command is against the charter and a bannable offence. So get licking toilets pronto! :D;)
    Ah now Ted.
    'tis only an ickle bit of fun.

lick under the rim. the hard to reach spots are a b!tch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭ahara

Rabies wrote: »
    No. But it did have a bit of a tone to it.
    Sorry if I hurt your peelings

My peelings accept your apology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Ali27

I tried to sign on and they told me they wouldn't give me any money so now I am stuck working. Irish born & bred it is shocking how they treat their own. want us all out of the country by the looks of it.

lick under the rim. the hard to reach spots are a b!tch

How do you know rabies.you live in new zealand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

in my opinion if ya have the chance to work work, dont go to the dole cause you dont like your job, hundreds of people on the dole would kill to have your job

• Advertisement

jonsnow wrote: »
    How do you know rabies.you live in new zealand.

The Furher knows almost everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Menial jobs?

Trying sorting bottles for the local pub in their yard

Might sound like an easy job until it's a sunny day and you get attacked by wasps all day

Bad memories :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Menial job - not having anything to get up for in the morning is soul-destroying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Definately Menial job! I wor in a restaurant and have had to listen to tonnes of people giving out to me about the fact it's mainly foreign nationales employed in the place, but as a point out to them don't be so prepared to criticise unless your prepared to go in and work the 10-12 hour days washing dishes, peeling veg, cleaning floors etc.....!

Irish people think they are above job's like that and it is so frustrating listening to people claiming there's no jobs and that they have to be on the dole.....just get up off your f*cking hole and start putting some effort into these ''Menial'' jobs and you'll be coming out with more money than you'd get on the dole and be more satisfied!!!!!!

/rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Load of rubbish, considering the limited amount of companies hiring. Tell that to the 350 thousand people unemployed that want to work. I left out the tossers who were on the dole during the celtic tiger, they don't want to work :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ahara wrote: »
    And as for this little Fuhrer directive 'Its a job. You get paid. You earn it. Do it.' Who the hell do you think you are to give out orders?
    The one paying taxes that funds your dole money?

the_syco wrote: »

This argument is laughable... unbelievably weak...

You don't pay for my social welfare, I do... I have paid for it for over 10 years. So stop with the crap already, yea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

the_syco wrote: »

Well Rabies works in NZ so probably not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,094 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

When there's nothing much around, any old job must be on the "to do" list, because when there are more non-menial jobs in the future, the CV won't have any gaps in it.

A few years ago, some local habitual dole-fiddling scumbag decided to apply for a full-time job, but he didn't have a hope when he told them that he'd been on the dole for over ten years. The fact that he'd been doing nixers and God knows what didn't come into it, because the prospective employer knew that it would take him a month of Sundays to re-adjust himself to a work routine and that his brain had probably gone to sleep years before.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    When there's nothing much around, any old job must be on the "to do" list, because when there are more non-menial jobs in the future, the CV won't have any gaps in it.

A few years ago, some local habitual dole-fiddling scumbag decided to apply for a full-time job, but he didn't have a hope when he told them that he'd been on the dole for over ten years. The fact that he'd been doing nixers and God knows what didn't come into it, because the prospective employer knew that it would take him a month of Sundays to re-adjust himself to a work routine and that his brain had probably gone to sleep years before.

I could see how that would effect someone going for a job, but for a lot of us we will be on the dole for quite some time. Given the current economic climate the employer would have to be some braindead monkey to not take this into account. Being unemployed 10 years ago wasn't a good thing, some people would not have had the skills to get work while others just didn't want to. Being on social welfare, or just being unemployed for the past year shouldn't effect anybodies application.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Cardinal Blue

Both can go hand in hand.In some european countries people on the dole commit to carrying out social duties in return for dole payments.
    IE:help the elderly,disabled,cut their grass etc( 10 hours a week).
    Remove grafitti from their area.
    Minor repairs,decoration at schools,comunity buildings,(materials supplied by councils)
    Cleaning up waste ground etc,etc.
    Anything that helps their area can be considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,094 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I could see how that would effect someone going for a job, but for a lot of us we will be on the dole for quite some time. Given the current economic climate the employer would have to be some braindead monkey to not take this into account. Being unemployed 10 years ago wasn't a good thing, some people would not have had the skills to get work while others just didn't want to. Being on social welfare, or just being unemployed for the past year shouldn't effect anybodies application.

I know that the current situation is different to what it was in the past, but the psychology of some employers may not have changed - in thinking that the person sitting in front of them has been sitting on his hole for too long. If there aren't even any menial jobs, then at least a wad of certs for completing various courses would show the prospective employer that you've done everything to improve your chances and the grey matter is still working to full capacity.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I know that the current situation is different to what it was in the past, but the psychology of some employers may not have changed - in thinking that the person sitting in front of them has been sitting on his hole for too long. If there aren't even any menial jobs, then at least a wad of certs for completing various courses would show the prospective employer that you've done everything to improve your chances and the grey matter is still working to full capacity.

Thing is, courses cost money, a lot of money. If I chose to go back to college it would be for a four year course. I have done 5 years already and not prepared to spend another 4 years at college. I was looking at some night courses, but I simply could not afford them. I also wanted to do a QFA, but cannot afford it. If there was a payment method where I could pay something every week then I would. Most places don't do this, which is pretty sad. It's a pretty poxy situation to be in.

Would love to do a QFA in mortgages, or a cert in culinary arts, would also love to do a first aid course and a course in front line managment... Anyone know any free courses? :P

Load of rubbish, considering the limited amount of companies hiring. Tell that to the 350 thousand people unemployed that want to work. I left out the tossers who were on the dole during the celtic tiger, they don't want to work :)
    There is always employment. Not for everyone of course. People will always be out of work. But a certain amount can get work if they tried,

There are companies that do seasonal work in Ireland. Some hire a few hundred staff for months. The pay can be average but its a job.

If its one good thing that has happened with this recession is its trimmed the fat from some companies. Staff that weren't pulling their weight got cut, work loads were spread to cover it. I know less people lost their jobs like that than those that lost their jobs due to a company shutting up shop and moving out of ireland and the knock on effect ripples through to other people too.
    javaboy wrote: »
    Well Rabies works in NZ so probably not.
    Don't think I'd get the dole in Ireland, I've been gone for too long

I've paid my way in Ireland from the age of 15 until 26. I'm now 29 and have been living and working here ever since.

I took a crap low paid job when I came here. One of the typical ones that a 'foreigner' would do. I now manage my own place. Start from the bottom, set a goal and go for it.

It was a 50% pay cut from my normal Irish job. Learning to live on less money was shock, I didn't want to do a crap job for ever. Glad its all changed now.

I've an offer of a job if I want it back in ireland. I'd earn 2.5 times my current wage. When you learn its not about the money its different.

There is always employment. Not for everyone of course. People will always be out of work. But a certain amount can get work if they tried,
    This is the beginning of the second great depression.No-one alive has ever seen anything like this.There has in the history of Ireland never been such a dramatic rise in the number of unemployed in such a short space of time.The two hundred thousand people that have been recently let go are not all fundamentally lazy or "fat".They worked hard when they could, many of them for their entire working lives.My father is approaching 60 and has been in full time employment as a painter since his 13th birthday.He says he has never seen anything like the last 12 months.He worked solidly throughout the 1980s but is finding it very difficult to keep going now.

You have not tried to seek work in Ireland in the last 3 years and especially in the last 12 months-so you really don,t know what your talking about.A friend of mine who had tried to get work in Ireland for 4 months before christmas after been let go emigrated to NZ in the new year.He got a job in his first week. There really is no comparision and you may be confusing the recession in NZ with what has become a full-blown depression in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Volvoboy wrote: »
    Menial Job or Dole .

Both, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Neither.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

It seems there are three types of people on the dole now...

The unemployable who have never worked...spongers and wasters.

People who have worked and want to take anything at all(in which case they wont be on the dole for long and fair play)

Professional student types who've never done a proper day's work in thier lives who'd rather waste the taxpayers' money while they wait for a job they feel isnt "beneath them" to be handed to them on a plate.

They'll be waiting along bloody time,nobody owes anybody else a living,the sooner they cut the dole for people who havnt been proven to be looking for work the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Degsy wrote: »
    It seems there are three types of people on the dole now...

The unemployable who have never worked...spongers and wasters.

People who have worked and want to take anything at all(in which case they wont be on the dole for long and fair play)

Professional student types who've never done a proper day's work in thier lives who'd rather waste the taxpayers' money while they wait for a job they feel isnt "beneath them" to be handed to them on a plate.

They'll be waiting along bloody time,nobody owes anybody else a living,the sooner they cut the dole for people who havnt been proven to be looking for work the better.

Go now brother Degz. You needz poarn ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Dole

Advertisement