Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good website which gives good weather forecasts

Options
  • 22-04-2009 5:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

hiya everyone.
    can anyone post a link to any website which gives good detailed weather forecasts. Bright with showers just doesnt cut it anymore. I would be looking for the weather for south sligo, near the coast. Have finaly gotten broadband at home so would like to use it. I find google earth is quite good,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

I would be interested in this too. I am not much good at reading charts but would like a bit more info that what met eireann shows. This is what they have today for munster:

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/regional.asp?Prov=Munster

Munster
    22 April 2009- updated at 06:00
    Today
    Mainly dry and breezy with a little hazy sunshine

Tonight
    Rain spreading from west

Tomorrow
    Cloudy with rain at times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

usually you just get "bright with showers", so pretty much its gonna rain during the day:confused::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Hammered hippie

The channels I usually use are

www.weatheronline.ie YOu can enter Sligo in the city/postcode slot and get a pretty detailed forcast for the coming 4 and 5-8 days. Something like that.

Also the weather site of the BBC is quite accurate. The BBC is the most accurate actually and their rain radar forecast usually does the trick up to 48 hours in advance.

Met Eirran...or better Met Error has a site with nice pictures of Ireland with some clouds, suns or rainy clouds depicted on it but usually if the prediction goes beyond 12 hours in advance they loose the plot.

I used to use Met Error for planning my days off doing my outdoor hobby.
    Not anymore.
    Here is what I think (and what is usually the case) of their prediction for the west of Ireland
    4 days ahead : Random Rubbish
    3 days ahead: Random Rubbish
    2 days ahead: They might have massive weather changes right 30% of the time (when a massive High pressure system moves in)
    1 day ahead: Right 50% of the time
    12 hours ahead: Right 66% of the time
    the same day.. still only right 80% of the time...depends 20% of the time on whether someone that actually looked outside bothered giving them a call that their pretty pictures on their homepage don't fit the actual weather.

It is sad to see that in these times tax money from all of Ireland is going to an organisation that only cares about the weather in Dublin and that is outperformed in accuracy by organisations abroad when it comes to west Ireland.
    They say the hardest part for them is predicting whether there will be rain fall or not... Unfortunately in Ireland that is the end all and be all of weather prediction.
    To draw an analog..if Met Error would be a doctor the man would tell you that your kid is fine in the morning and then come back the same afternoon and tell you the kid actually died a day ago.

Advertisement