Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Propping up the Newspapers?

Options
  • 22-04-2009 8:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I am about to shut down a company - part of the process detailed on the CRO website is that I must advertise closure in a newspaper:

"An advertisement in one daily newspaper published and circulated nationwide in the Republic of Ireland"

I know this is not a new procedure but why do I have to prop up newspaper revenues and pay an offline publication to shut my company down? Can this not be hosted on the CRO website and available to the public - or use Boards.ie??

Has anyone ever shut a company down and not followed this process?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

Its a legal requirement.

Daily Mail is the cheapest, though I do remember someone putting the notice in the racing post as it is regarded as a daily newspaper.

There's a set wording and usually accountants & other types check all the notices and cross reference the names against companies their clients deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭LOOKIHERE

darc wrote: »
    Its a legal requirement.

Yes - my point is more that I have to pay a newspaper and they profit from this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Alcatel

It's a law from days gone by, before the tinternet existed - and if you think about it, for the purpose of debtors you should be forced to make it freely available, and the only way to do that back in the day was with a notice in the paper.

But I agree that it's outdated now in the internet exists - indeed, it'd be easier to do it online thanks to the search. I believe there's now a website following all insolvencies in the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The real irony would take place were The Indo to go bust and have to pay another paper to place the ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Had to advertise some legal stuff in the paper last year and the irish examiner was cheapest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Same as that gerry , did it this year and we used the examiner as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Shelflife wrote: »
    Same as that gerry , did it this year and we used the examiner as well.

+3, Examiner seems to be cheapest of the irish papers.

Advertisement