Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Less than 1mb on a 7.6mb line with BT... HELP!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

doc62 wrote: »
    Hi Baneblade, the speeds are consistently bad, unusable at peak, not much better off-peak.

Unfortunately I don't know of any other houses in the area with wired broadband. As far as I know the exchange has only recently been upgraded.
    Ok well best wait to hear back from BT and request that a line fault be sent up to Eircom. Remember, let them know of the new houses being built and the sudden drop of speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 doc62

Cheers for the help mate. I'll let you know what they say.

Ok, Eircom have now been out to check the line from in the house, not just the exchange. The engineer said the line is perfect. He doesn't understand it either. No intermittent fault, no problem caused by the new houses, nothing!
    So, let me summarise;
    Not the computer - tried 3 (only 1 belonging to me)
    Not wireless router - tried 2 + 1 wired - also with and without cables
    Not filter - tried 3
    Not other electronic device close by - removed all
    Not internal house wiring - bypassed house completely and connected modem at street level
    Not Eircom wiring - Been cleared no less than 4 times

BT??? - I don't know, but I don't think it's at this end.

Anyone any ideas? I'm really running short at this stage......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Mine tonight has gone too, I have 7.6MB with BT and I'm getting a transfer rate of 179KB/s. Speedtest result below is poor too, and on Eircom and Smart Telecom speedtests results are pretty much the same too, so something is going on.

468695766.png

I had a lot of problems with my broadband after the last roll-out upgrades, took a long time to get my working and back up to speed after it too. I hope this isn't going to happen again.

I'm not the only one:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055558681

Ok, Eircom have now been out to check the line from in the house, not just the exchange. The engineer said the line is perfect. He doesn't understand it either. No intermittent fault, no problem caused by the new houses, nothing!
    So, let me summarise;
    Not the computer - tried 3 (only 1 belonging to me)
    Not wireless router - tried 2 + 1 wired - also with and without cables
    Not filter - tried 3
    Not other electronic device close by - removed all
    Not internal house wiring - bypassed house completely and connected modem at street level
    Not Eircom wiring - Been cleared no less than 4 times

BT??? - I don't know, but I don't think it's at this end.

Anyone any ideas? I'm really running short at this stage......
    Did you find out what exchange you are connected to? Just ring BT and ask them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bubindus

spacer.gifLine ModeADSL2+ spacer.gifspacer.gifLine CodingTrellis On Line Up Count2spacer.gifspacer.gifStatisticsDownstreamUpstreamspacer.gifspacer.gifLine Rate5613 Kbps507 Kbpsspacer.gifspacer.gif
    Noise Margin6.2 dB28.1 dBspacer.gifspacer.gif
    Line Attenuation47.5 dB23.9 dBspacer.gifspacer.gif
    Output Power13.1 dBm0.0 dBmspacer.gifspacer.gif
    Hi those ar my stats can somebody tel me whats wrong ?????
    Transfare rate about 500 - 560 kb/s

bubindus wrote: »
    spacer.gifLine ModeADSL2+ spacer.gifspacer.gifLine CodingTrellis On Line Up Count2spacer.gifspacer.gifStatisticsDownstreamUpstreamspacer.gifspacer.gifLine Rate5613 Kbps507 Kbpsspacer.gifspacer.gif
    Noise Margin6.2 dB28.1 dBspacer.gifspacer.gif
    Line Attenuation47.5 dB23.9 dBspacer.gifspacer.gif
    Output Power13.1 dBm0.0 dBmspacer.gifspacer.gif
    Hi those ar my stats can somebody tel me whats wrong ?????
    Transfare rate about 500 - 560 kb/s
    Looks like your downstream sync rate is too low, your on a 6MB profile by the looks of the upload (should be 6144 / 507 kbps).

Your attenuation is very high so you are a good distance away from your exchange so that looks like your max speed, ask to be dropped to 5MB if you find it unstable. But first, unplug all the phones / sky / alarms in your house and see if the sync remains the same.

cpu-dude wrote: »
    Looks like your downstream sync rate is too low, your on a 6MB profile by the looks of the upload (should be 6144 / 507 kbps).

Your attenuation is very high so you are a good distance away from your exchange so that looks like your max speed, ask to be dropped to 5MB if you find it unstable. But first, unplug all the phones / sky / alarms in your house and see if the sync remains the same.

So i cant get close to 24mb or at least 10 mb ???
    I have unpluged everything and tryed everything thay changed my rooter once so thay say i need to check my home wireing

Nope, unfortunately not. Attenuation can be generalised by letting 1dB = c. 100M so your approximately 4.8KM's away from your local exchange. Now, poor wiring is very likely a cause if BT instructed this as ADSL2+ automatically adjusts to your maximum speed.

I suggest getting it looks at because you should be able to get a bit more out of it. Ring BT and ask them to increase your noise margin, you can do this with LLU profiles.

http://212.23.23.177/ADSL/
    If your service provider uses ADSL2+ the maximum line speed likely is: 6779Kbps

Nope, unfortunately not. Attenuation can be generalised by letting 1dB = c. 100M so your approximately 4.8KM's away from your local exchange. Now, poor wiring is very likely a cause if BT instructed this as ADSL2+ automatically adjusts to your maximum speed.

I suggest getting it looks at because you should be able to get a bit more out of it. Ring BT and ask them to increase your noise margin, you can do this with LLU profiles.

http://212.23.23.177/ADSL/

Thank you !
    So i need some electrician to look at it BT says they dont have any technicians to look at it .
    We switched from eircom to BT so I need some eircom electrician to look at my wireing ??
    I tryed DMT to change noise margin speed drops only i get :(

• Advertisement

bubindus wrote: »
    Thank you !
    So i need some electrician to look at it BT says they dont have any technicians to look at it .
    We switched from eircom to BT so I need some eircom electrician to look at my wireing ??
    I tryed DMT to change noise margin speed drops only i get :(
    Yes you'll need your own engineer, most electricians will have the tools to test the line but I'm sure you could pick up a telecoms engineer in the Yellow Pages.

Ok, BT gave me a refund so now with eircom and guess what... exactly the same problem! Just received the eircom modem this morning. Set it up - stats say it should be 7.6mb and I'm getting around 1mb. Bollocks!!!

Ok, BT gave me a refund so now with eircom and guess what... exactly the same problem! Just received the eircom modem this morning. Set it up - stats say it should be 7.6mb and I'm getting around 1mb. Bollocks!!!
    Like I said buddy, it's all from the same place (exchange) - all that differs is who your paying for it. It's without a doubt an internal wiring issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭radiofoot

Like I said buddy, it's all from the same place (exchange) - all that differs is who your paying for it. It's without a doubt an internal wiring issue.

CPU-DUDE, you seem to know your stuff. My BT broadband stopped working 5 weeks ago, and BT can't seem to get Eircom to fix it. I have had an electrician, a BT engineer and an Eircom engineer all confirm that the internal wiring is fine. The BT engineer said that there was excessive noise on the line coming into the house.

BT and Eircom seem to be having a battle over this, with me stuck in the middle. I have contacted Comreg, but I am not confident they will do much about it.

Any advice? If I go back to Eircom, will they be likely to address the issue?

Thanks.....

radiofoot wrote: »
    CPU-DUDE, you seem to know your stuff. My BT broadband stopped working 5 weeks ago, and BT can't seem to get Eircom to fix it. I have had an electrician, a BT engineer and an Eircom engineer all confirm that the internal wiring is fine. The BT engineer said that there was excessive noise on the line coming into the house.

BT and Eircom seem to be having a battle over this, with me stuck in the middle. I have contacted Comreg, but I am not confident they will do much about it.

Any advice? If I go back to Eircom, will they be likely to address the issue?

Thanks.....
    I won't get anywhere without your line stats mate.

I won't get anywhere without your line stats mate.

Can I get line stats without an internet connection? If I can, please let me know how and I'll do it tonight. When I get home tonight, I can also post the results of the modem diagnostics if that's of any use.

Can I get line stats without an internet connection? If I can, please let me know how and I'll do it tonight. When I get home tonight, I can also post the results of the modem diagnostics if that's of any use.
    Well if you have a DSL light then yes you can, if not - we then have a problem. A few questions.

What exchange are you on?
    What speed profile are you on?
    What router do you use for the Broadband?
    Did the problem happen quickly or overtime?
    Do you have a monitored house alarm at home?
    Are you using an telephone extension cable?
    Is every device in the house filtered correctly?

Well if you have a DSL light then yes you can, if not - we then have a problem. A few questions.

What exchange are you on?
    What speed profile are you on?
    What router do you use for the Broadband?
    Did the problem happen quickly or overtime?
    Do you have a monitored house alarm at home?
    Are you using an telephone extension cable?
    Is every device in the house filtered correctly?

Eircom engineer arrived today and said he would try replacing cards at the exchange. This obviously worked as I now have my Broadband back! Thanks for your help.

Eircom engineer arrived today and said he would try replacing cards at the exchange. This obviously worked as I now have my Broadband back! Thanks for your help.
    Good news, what exchange are you on?

Good news, what exchange are you on?

Wrong first time - apparently it is Coolock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Just for the record.

If you have problems with a wholesale provider of DSL (e.g. BT in most areas), you've to report the fault with them. ComReg rules are that BT must pass the fault on to eircom, as they are a customer of eircom's too.

If BT refuse to report the fault with eircom, then inform them that you shall be raising a complaint with ComReg.

There are no exceptions to this, it is up to the wholesale customer to raise the fault issue with eircom on behalf of the customer. Don't let BT or UTV (UTV seem to have a particularly bad rep for this) or any other non-LLU crowd give you any nonsense.

Also, Eircom's publicly stated rule for distance estimates is 12 dB per km. Eircom-supplied modems seem to be poor at gauging attenuation above 50dB, so the distance rule is much less likely to be accurate. Especially on lines testing "amber".

Advertisement