Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fireplace replacement

Options
  • 22-04-2009 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

We currently have an open fire installed in our sitting room and I have recently obtained a replacement hearth, back piece and mantle.

Can anyone tell me how much i should expect to pay someone professional to take out the existing fireplace, stick it in the shed and install the new one?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭fmcc

Hi brightkane is the back piece or insert filled or not can you see any cement type stuff on the back?
    i would guess depends where you are but E150-250 depends on whether new fireback is being used etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

hi , dont know about he old one, on the new one, well its 2nd hand one had loads of cement on the back that we knocked off ut . if thats what your asking ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭fmcc

Hi brightkane it may have to be filled again when the insert is offered up to the wall the space between it and the wall should be filled with a wet mix to ensure a full bond againest the wall so no smoke comes out.

ah i get ya, kinda like sealed with fire resistant cement?
    a professional installer "should" do this as a matter of course if it needs to be done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

What is used to fill you insert in a light weight mix cement called ducamix.
    In the old day they used normal cement which you could used the difference between the 2 is ducamix is a LOT lighter for the fitters mainly.
    What you could do is fill the insert with about 2 inchs of cement and when who ever is fitting it can pack down more cement between the insert and wall and float it all off.
    I know times are hard but if I where you I would get in a pro, think of it if who ever you get to put it in makes a mistake it could burn down the house, its that simple...

• Advertisement

thanks lewis, agreed, i would feel more safe getting someone who knows what they are doing and that can just come in and do the job and leave it safe.

no idea of cost though or where i would find someone to do it.

Where are ya based?
    What kind of fireplace is it? Marble/timber, hearth/insert/surround?
    The way time are now I think about €200 would be about right...roughly

based in dublin 15.

one going in is a polished granite hearth, back, wooden mantle.
    if insert is the grey piece that sits in the fire we got one of them also, but the one already installed might be ok?

i wouldnt mind 200 if that was taking it out also, and it was someone who knew what they were doing.

The new one should be a standard fit, but the thing is you never know what lies behind an existing fireplace, eg, the fireback would be the bigger concern.
    Most fireplaces come out easily enough, are you dumping the old?
    Theres a lot of prep as well cause there will be a **** load of dust when taking out a fireplace, have you priced any companys that would do it?

thanks for the replies lewis. not going to dump the old, have a shed that i can keep it in, might sell it,

aint checked out any places for installation yet. only got the new one last nite.

• Advertisement

Well thats good that at least who ever you get to fit it doesnt have to worry about getting rid of it, like i said around €200 should do it, good luck!
    One last thing it should take about 2 hours to fit the new fireplace, assuming theres no problems with the old one comming out...

Cheers, i suppose the only thing to do is to ring a few fire place companies and get a quote

Give wren fireplaces a ring, I know them well see what they charge, there in kildare

Cheers, a place in finglas already got back to me saying it would be between 200 and 350, but they would ahve to see the job, which is to be expected

oh yeah thats right, lets me know how ya get on, any chance of gettin a pic of the old and new fireplace?

Emailed him pics of the fireplace and he said 200 would do it, including putting existing fireplace int he shed. good price me thinks

pics of old fireplace as is and new fireplace as it was in its previous life!

brightkane wrote: »
    Emailed him pics of the fireplace and he said 200 would do it, including putting existing fireplace int he shed. good price me thinks

pics of old fireplace as is and new fireplace as it was in its previous life!

Ah yeah thats a nice job, use some WD40 on the cast iron insert and clean it off with some kitchen towels, if there`s any bits of rust do same but use steel wool that removes most rust stains, should get a good price for it

Cheers, no rust thank god, but will use the wd40 for cleaning.

new one only cost 150, so i think its not a bad deal for a replacement

guy coming next friday to install, will let you know how it gos...

guy coming next friday to install, will let you know how it gos...

As long as you offer him Tea and bickies everything will be good lol, good luck with it!

• Advertisement

installed and all, the old fireplace wasnt even sealed and he showed me the smoke marks, have to say great service, arrived on time and cleaned up after themselves,

€200 to take out the old one, put it in the shed and install the new one,

delighted with it, got a receit and all off them.

http://www.maddenfireplaces.com/ is the crowd i used

old fireplace and new one attached.

fair play to ya!

cheers lewis, well pleased with it

cheers lewis, well pleased with it

No hassle last thing I`d like to know is when are you going to send down me tea and bickies?? lol

Advertisement