Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone interested in being a Triathlete mentor / mentoree?

• 22-04-2009 8:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭

Hi - this is an outcrop of teh DCM Mentoring thread but I wanted to break it out...
    One suggestion that I would have is to have one where you can train off the back of a summer of triathlons. Maybe a program where you could integrate one long bike at weekends and a swim or two?

Since there's a good few people that integrate the two, the plan could really work for them.
    ladytri wrote: »
    Brilliant idea! Or perhaps get a triathlon specific mentoring thread that would run in conjunction with this one?

Not being a tri type myself I can't help but I know that there are triathletes, tri / marathon hybrids and Ironmen/women on here who can. So anyone willing to stand up and mentor?

And anyone else interested in being mentored?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I would love to be mentored through the triathlon season if at all possible. I am also undecided yet if i will do a post season marathon. I may still do DCM but wont decide until July or so.

I've been toying with the idea of logging my training but just havent taken the step to do it yet so this could be the clincher so i prove successful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

A Triathlon mentor sounds wicked! But then, I would say that wouldn't I :D

Bambaata... what are you waiting for, stick one up... we all learn from each other

I think i haven't yet because i believe it would be ripped apart lol. But then again that's what i probably need. I'm training 4 to 5 days a week at the moment and that generally consists of 1 90-100km cycle with the club, a 40km Howth spin, a 15km run on a Sunday, a 10km midweek run and 2 or 3 swims before work midweek.

I know what I am lacking though. I do little or no weights etc and i am a terrible swimmer. I can swim long but just not fast. I go early mornings so i don't hold anyone up behind me in a lane as its generally quiet when i go (7am) but i just cannot improve speed! I'll persist though. I've recently made contact with some people i know who swim OW every week so i'm going to try meet up with them as much as is possible and try and gets some tips from them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Bambaata wrote: »
    I think i haven't yet because i believe it would be ripped apart lol. But then again that's what i probably need. I'm training 4 to 5 days a week at the moment and that generally consists of 1 90-100km cycle with the club, a 40km Howth spin, a 15km run on a Sunday, a 10km midweek run and 2 or 3 swims before work midweek.

I know what I am lacking though. I do little or no weights etc and i am a terrible swimmer. I can swim long but just not fast. I go early mornings so i don't hold anyone up behind me in a lane as its generally quiet when i go (7am) but i just cannot improve speed! I'll persist though. I've recently made contact with some people i know who swim OW every week so i'm going to try meet up with them as much as is possible and try and gets some tips from them

Very light on the running...........

Bambaata, that sounds like some pretty solid training. If thats what you are doing consistently and I believe you have a couple of Tris under your belt from last year then I'll bet you are in good shape. I'm sure I could learn a few things from your log :)

• Advertisement

tbh i feel a lot is junk miles. I need to put structure to those sessions. Up to now i have just been going out and doing the distance. I've only recently started running 1k running reps with 60 second breaks etc and am just starting to read up on it so it has only really given me a bit of an aerobic base. I've done 3 Sprints (Focus Ire 2006, 2007 & Athy 2008) and 1 Olympic (Dublin City 2008) to date and a host of duathlons so i have much learning to do. I plan on doing 4 sprints and 4 olympics this year of which I'll only focus primarily on 3 of them. The other i want to do to gain some experience but wont be expecting any amazing times.

I'm sure I've made plenty of mistakes so far, i'm sure i will make loads more but i find that is all part of the learning curve and thus far i am happy how I'm going. Any duathlon i did last year i have bettered this year by at least 4 to 5 minutes so at least i know i'm going somewhat in the right direction.

And thanks Tunney for the bit of advice. I'll loo to up that from here. I know you are focusing on Ironman right now but could you comment on distances i should really be covering?

Bambaata wrote: »
    tbh i feel a lot is junk miles. I need to put structure to those sessions. Up to now i have just been going out and doing the distance. I've only recently started running 1k running reps with 60 second breaks etc and am just starting to read up on it so it has only really given me a bit of an aerobic base. I've done 3 Sprints (Focus Ire 2006, 2007 & Athy 2008) and 1 Olympic (Dublin City 2008) to date and a host of duathlons so i have much learning to do. I plan on doing 4 sprints and 4 olympics this year of which I'll only focus primarily on 3 of them. The other i want to do to gain some experience but wont be expecting any amazing times.

I'm sure I've made plenty of mistakes so far, i'm sure i will make loads more but i find that is all part of the learning curve and thus far i am happy how I'm going. Any duathlon i did last year i have bettered this year by at least 4 to 5 minutes so at least i know i'm going somewhat in the right direction.

And thanks Tunney for the bit of advice. I'll loo to up that from here. I know you are focusing on Ironman right now but could you comment on distances i should really be covering?

Start a blog and give your history and what you've been doing to date and I'd be more than happy to comment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

If I could manage a bit of swimming I might even be able to call myself a triathlete :) I'd be very interested in getting some guidance in getting from a couple of lengths to tri distance or even joining some novice swimmers who may train in the centre or west of dublin. I get a sense that swimming is many people's barrier, so I guess I cant be alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

tunney wrote: »
    Start a blog and give your history and what you've been doing to date and I'd be more than happy to comment!

Is that a formal offer to mentor there Tunney?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

The reason I tend to stay away from triathlon mentoring here is that it's sooooo much more involved than marathon coaching. For a marathon I can distill my advice down to 3 key things
    1. eat well
    2. rest well
    3. do 3-4 key sessions a week
    for almost everyone. For triathlon, I would struggle to get it under 20 key points and these would vary hugely. For anyone who knows a little bit of physics, triathlon is quantum mechanics and many body problems to marathon running's classical mechanics.

As tunney says, post a log with the basics (how you train now, what you could add timewise, how you eat, your other commitments, your feelings on your current training, your kit, your race goals) and I'm happy to comment sporadically but actual mentoring of a triathete is complicated and involved and I jsut don't have time to devote to it. Sorry if that sounds mean or selfish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

The reason I tend to stay away from triathlon mentoring here is that it's sooooo much more involved than marathon coaching. For a marathon I can distill my advice down to 3 key things
    1. eat well
    2. rest well
    3. do 3-4 key sessions a week
    for almost everyone. For triathlon, I would struggle to get it under 20 key points and these would vary hugely. For anyone who knows a little bit of physics, triathlon is quantum mechanics and many body problems to marathon running's classical mechanics.

As tunney says, post a log with the basics (how you train now, what you could add timewise, how you eat, your other commitments, your feelings on your current training, your kit, your race goals) and I'm happy to comment sporadically but actual mentoring of a triathete is complicated and involved and I jsut don't have time to devote to it. Sorry if that sounds mean or selfish.
    i would be more then happy to do a blog in order to get advice on triathlon training from yourself and tunney ,

There are a few more experienced Tri heads lurking around here too... come on... show yourselves! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

An alternative approach might be for a 'my top 10 things NOT to do' related to triathlon training ... from sprint distance to long course training people may benefit from a list of things that didnt work out for some.

Sure, people will learn from their own mistakes ... and a mentor may steer them away from the obvious ones related directly to their own particular training but is there really a silver bullet to success for everyone ? more likely there'll be things to avoid.

Anyhow - just a suggestion

interested wrote: »
    An alternative approach might be for a 'my top 10 things NOT to do' related to triathlon training ... from sprint distance to long course training people may benefit from a list of things that didnt work out for some.

Sure, people will learn from their own mistakes ... and a mentor may steer them away from the obvious ones related directly to their own particular training but is there really a silver bullet to success for everyone ? more likely there'll be things to avoid.

Anyhow - just a suggestion

IMHO no one tends to listen really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I think this is true to an extent, I got alot of advice on my log and only now after a few bad races have I started listening to RF, so maybe its more of a matter of getting bitten first

As per "Sure, people will learn from their own mistakes" - Id agree with that point of view Tunney.

I guess the difference between mentor and coach is cold-hard-cash - if people are serious enough to hand it over they're probably more likely to listen.

Personally I regret not employing a coach at the start of November - imho its probably too late for this seasons efforts but I think it'll be something Ill do next year.

interested wrote: »
    As per "Sure, people will learn from their own mistakes" - Id agree with that point of view Tunney.

I guess the difference between mentor and coach is cold-hard-cash - if people are serious enough to hand it over they're probably more likely to listen.

Personally I regret not employing a coach at the start of November - imho its probably too late for this seasons efforts but I think it'll be something Ill do next year.

best thing I've done sports wise is starting to work with my coach a few years ago. Really seeing the benefits this year.

best thing I've done sports wise is starting to work with my coach a few years ago. Really seeing the benefits this year.

So you're happy with the recommended switch away from your zipps to get to power metre based bike sessions ;) just kidding - Id imagine you get more from your time on the bike with something like powertap or the like than from anything else - nowhere to hide.

Yeah - reckon Ill go down the route of some coaching. Some shorter stuff early in the year and then back into longer training - although I reckon some / alot of coaches might respond with 'give me a call next october' I may get an opinion from someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

lecheile wrote: »
    If I could manage a bit of swimming I might even be able to call myself a triathlete :) I'd be very interested in getting some guidance in getting from a couple of lengths to tri distance or even joining some novice swimmers who may train in the centre or west of dublin. I get a sense that swimming is many people's barrier, so I guess I cant be alone.

I'd love to do a tri, I have the running and used to Moutain Bike, but I swim like a brick:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

I used to swim like a brick BeepBeep, but after 15 lessons, I now consider myself a competent swimmer. I'm confident in the deep end, I can do FC to a half decent standard and I reckon I could finish the swim in a tri.

Get lessons, it's well worth it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Don't tar us all with the same brush tunney. Some of us do take your nuggetts on board. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I'd love to do a tri, I have the running and used to Moutain Bike, but I swim like a brick:rolleyes:

Get some lessons. I only learned to swim at the end of 07. I got some lessons in November 07 and did 2 sprint triathlons last year. Best investment of time I have had in years. Well worth the effort.

I am looking forward to doing some Sprint and Olympic distance triathlons this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

MCOS wrote: »
    There are a few more experienced Tri heads lurking around here too... come on... show yourselves! :)

Yip and as HM say's it is very difficult to coach over an internet forum. Much easier to give advice to marathon runners.

That said, my top tips;
    1. Get a coach: after years of self coaching, getting a coach was the best thing I ever did. Lots of advantages, won't list

2. Get swimming lesson's: Most of us lack in this highly technical area.

3. Do 'Brick' sessions: once a fortnight is enough

4. Decide what you want from a season before you start training for it.

5. Keep track of your goals and your achievements.

6. Diet, diet, diet: No not weight reduction, healthy eating

7. Don't worry about having a super bike if you haven't got the 'engine' to power it.

8. Core/ weights an gym sessions injury proof you but not a replacement for actual running biking or swimming.

9. Go open water swimming before your first tri. Cold shock is only funny if your doing rescue.

10. Biking helps running, running doesn't seem to return the favour as much.

11. Bike handling will save you time

12. Learn how to change your tubes before you get a puncture in the middle of a race while your amped up on adrenaline.

More will come to me when I have time to think.

Advertisement