Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottles for Home Brew!

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

sunnyjim wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend how to clean the metal parts of the swing top?
    I'm looking at one now and trying to figure out why you'd want to. The beer doesn't touch the metal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

I'm more refering to the ceramic lump which is holding the rubber seal in place :o

As a surface, it's no different from the glass. Wipe off anything stuck to it and immerse it in sanitiser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If there is dried on yeast etc on those caps I would leave them steep in water with washing up liquid for a day or so. Be careful with sanitisers and metal, bleach and other chemicals used are strong oxidisers, i.e. they will attack the metal. I expect some are fine to use though.

I actually use bleach in work to test the quality of stainless steel products, it can corrode metals in a matter of hours, depending on strength.

Tesco "value" bleach is good, since it is cheapo stuff there is no thickener and no perfume in it.

Yeah, I'm sketchy about putting the metal near any hypochlorite solution. I think I'll use soapy water, and then settle for a good rinse.

• Advertisement

I've been told never to let any soap near a surface which will have beer on it.

The contact time for sanitising is never going to be more than about ten minutes, so I think the metal will be safe.

You're right - forgot about soaps ruining the head!

Ok, homemade no-rinse sanitiser it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

rubadub wrote: »
    I actually use bleach in work to test the quality of stainless steel products, it can corrode metals in a matter of hours, depending on strength.

So true, you will never see bleach been sprayed in a tissue culture hood
    rubadub wrote: »
    Tesco "value" bleach is good, since it is cheapo stuff there is no thickener and no perfume in it.

Yep and some of the expensive ones have are fourmlated to prevent rinising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

BeerNut wrote: »
    I've been told never to let any soap near a surface which will have beer on it.
    Good point that I forgot about esp. with worn glasses or bottles where it can be embedded in the scratches. I always rinse my glasses well from the dishwasher. I have also heard milk can be bad to put in glasses due to the fat.

BeerNut wrote: »
    The contact time for sanitising is never going to be more than about ten minutes, so I think the metal will be safe.
    Yes, should be fine for short durations. I am just thinking of people with dried on crud who might want to steep overnight, so maybe just plain water is best.

I've yet to meet the dried-on crud that boiling water and a bottle brush won't take care of instantly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement