Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Digital & Broadband

Options
  • 22-04-2009 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭

This is more a broadband query than a sky digital one.

Got sky digital in the house yesterday just wonderin because it has to be run through a phone line will this impact on my broadband service? cause almost straight way it seemed it took longer for pagse to load and for videos to buffer....

also how do i check what speed line i have if i need an upgrade for sky and broadband?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

This is more a broadband query than a sky digital one.

Got sky digital in the house yesterday just wonderin because it has to be run through a phone line will this impact on my broadband service? cause almost straight way it seemed it took longer for pagse to load and for videos to buffer....

also how do i check what speed line i have if i need an upgrade for sky and broadband?

No it shouldn't impact your Broadband, the phone line is only required to register the Box & Card on installation and after that the phone line is only really used for ordering Box Office Movies etc...

Do a speedtest.net to check your broadband speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Pablod wrote: »
    No it shouldn't impact your Broadband, the phone line is only required to register the Box & Card on installation and after that the phone line is only really used for ordering Box Office Movies etc...

Do a speedtest.net to check your broadband speed.

cheers! seems strange they need to use the phone line ild rather not as you can never tell wat else they are tapping into?

also the speed test thing.. im always hearing ppl talking about they have liek a 1meg line or 10 meg line will that site determine wat it is?

i play plenty of online gaming not really for dwnloading.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If you have sky connected to your PSTN line then it MUST be connected through a ADSL filter, same goes for any telephony device

Cabaal wrote: »
    If you have sky connected to your PSTN line then it MUST be connected through a ADSL filter, same goes for any telephony device

ok question still applies will this affect my connection to live gaming while im watching sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

ok question still applies will this affect my connection to live gaming while im watching sky?

No. the Sky box only uses the "phone" part of your line to call Sky HQ and for interactive stuff. It does not use Broadband (yet)

As already mentioned you need to use a filter though - otherwise your broadband connection will drop when the Sky box makes a call.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Just as an aside when I got Sky years ago (pre bb days even) the installer made an awful mess of fitting the new phone socket and I eventually had to disconnect it - so if you did happen to get a new extension fitted as part of the installation don't rule out that having an effect on your bb signal. If you dont have a filter do hand try plugging out the lead to the box and see if your bb improves.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

As long as its correctly filtered.....No :)

cheers good answers.. ild liek to think i know enough about computers but with wireless and filters and the itty bitty technical btis im clueless.

so next question is how do i know this is filtered? like im seriously thinking this is affecting my line. videos on youtube take waaaay longer to load and i use that as a yardstick to judge my connection. i might unplug the sky and see how the connection is then.

cheers good answers.. ild liek to think i know enough about computers but with wireless and filters and the itty bitty technical btis im clueless.

so next question is how do i know this is filtered? like im seriously thinking this is affecting my line. videos on youtube take waaaay longer to load and i use that as a yardstick to judge my connection. i might unplug the sky and see how the connection is then.

You would not be uplugging sky as such just the telephone line for ordering stuff from them. If there is a filter on it (which seems unlikely!) It would be pretty obvious - just like a line splitter.

Any one of these:) http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=dsl%20filter&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Follow the phone wire from the back of your sky box back to the telephone socket. You should see it plugged into a white or light brown small unit which in turn is plugged into the phone socket in the wall. If this is not there you do not have a filter.

• Advertisement

i used to use one of them back in the day now i have a router for wireless.

not at home now but cant remember if there is a spliter on it ill have to double check. as for what i can remember the line from the sky box goes into a little box with the the phone line also in it and one wire comes out the otherside which is my actual phone landline.

so if i take this out and only plug it in when doing somethign interactive my speed/performance will improve?

i used to use one of them back in the day now i have a router for wireless.

not at home now but cant remember if there is a spliter on it ill have to double check. as for what i can remember the line from the sky box goes into a little box with the the phone line also in it and one wire comes out the otherside which is my actual phone landline.

so if i take this out and only plug it in when doing somethign interactive my speed/performance will improve?

Just remember that anything attached to the phone line should be filtered.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

sorry guys, but i have to disagree with you all on the sky box thing. filters or not, the phone connection to a sky box causes a huge amount of noise on the line and DOES affect the speed and stability of your broadband.

google it if you like, there's thread upon threads on t'internet with people complaining of the same thing and the only accepted solution is unplugging the line from the sky box.

Advertisement