Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying 12ft lb air rifle in uk

Options
  • 22-04-2009 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭

I've been offered an air rifle in uk for a steel it does not need a Fac over so i'm thinking that what i've to do is aply for Fac hear, then when i get it, get an article 7 to import to Ireland.
    I'm i correct lads?? or am i missing somthing?
    thanks Tac.
    But also does anyone know if 12ft ib rifle are going to be allowed in the new bill fac free?? should i wait.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

I'd wait until the new bill is published. I somehow don't think the current Minister is about to liberalise any existing legislation as regards air-rifles, though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

fat-tony wrote: »
    I'd wait until the new bill is published. I somehow don't think the current Minister is about to liberalise any existing legislation as regards air-rifles, though...
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

You need to get a licence from the Guards then a licence to import from the Department of Justice. The import licence can be done online from the DOJ website. Info can be found by searching "importing firearms by an individual" on DOJ website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

If were bringing over an air rifle from the UK then i would bring over a firearms rated air rifle ie: one thats more powerful than the over the counter 12 ft/lbs one, I once had a webley omega that was 18 ft/lbs and another fella i know had a webley patriot at 28 ft/lbs-your going to be paying a firearms licence fee on it so may as well have something with a bit of oomph!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

If were bringing over an air rifle from the UK then i would bring over a firearms rated air rifle ie: one thats more powerful than the over the counter 12 ft/lbs one, I once had a webley omega that was 18 ft/lbs and another fella i know had a webley patriot at 28 ft/lbs-your going to be paying a firearms licence fee on it so may as well have something with a bit of oomph!:D
    Unfortunately, this is what often has people going for the more powerful airguns or even foregoing airguns altogether and going straight for cartridge firearms, when a U.K. spec 12 ft/lbs airgun would suit their need admirably.
    The licences are all the same and the applications are treated and accessed the same, so people might as well go for the upper end of the scale (powerwise).

As fat-tony says though, don't be holding your breath waiting for something like this to become reality here under the current political climate regarding firearms.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Rovi wrote: »
    Unfortunately, this is what often has people going for the more powerful airguns or even foregoing airguns altogether and going straight for cartridge firearms, when a U.K. spec 12 ft/lbs airgun would suit their need admirably.
    The licences are all the same and the applications are treated and accessed the same, so people might as well go for the upper end of the scale (powerwise).

As fat-tony says though, don't be holding your breath waiting for something like this to become reality here under the current political climate regarding firearms.

Thats true,ive heard it so many times, you may as well have a 22lr 0r something else when you have to pay a licence on it..its so sad really because truth be told I reckon, then everyone should begin with an air rifle...you can learn proper skills with an air rifle, its cheap as chips and can be used on very short ranges..it hasa lot going for it but the licence fee strangles it here in Ireland . Another thing ive always noticed is that anyone who has had an air rifle will progress better when buying a cartridge firearm..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

you can learn proper skills with an air rifle, its cheap as chips and can be used on very short ranges..

Yep. A tenner for 500 'rounds' is cheap shooting! And v little disturbance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Don't forget a lot of the more powerful air guns are variable so you can wind them down for those pigeons in the milk parlour!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

Don't forget a lot of the more powerful air guns are variable so you can wind them down for those pigeons in the milk parlour!
    ya well this is my reason for buying this air rifle and be able to point it into a tree.

I'm looking into it for the same reason ;)
    unless some one can tell me of a .22lr round which delivers such low power?????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

If you are looking at 12 ft/lb guns you'd be best staying away from .22 calibre as they have a poor range and need alot more hold over and under.
    some .177 calibre guns are designed to be optimum at the 12ft/lb power level the HW77 or newer HW97 being good example.
    The 12 ft/lb is an arbitary limit and not chosen as some kind of shooting ideal.
    For some springers you can get power adjusting kits that will run the gun at the level they were designed for and this would be useful if you got a .22 in 12 ft/lb. The kits can be posted to Ireland without issue.
    If your looking at getting a Pcp make sure it's one that can have the power adjusted, some of the newer models have "anti tamper" items fitted and would be of little benefit in Ireland.
    Bryan

There is a 20 year old diana .22 I could get my hands on for free but. What would it be like if I replace the spring and plunger thingy (I know my terminology is very technical) or would I be wasting my time and money???

Advertisement