Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java GUI

Options
  • 22-04-2009 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

I have done a fait bit of web work with java, but I now want to build a few java screens. Last time i did anything like that I used Frames, Panels Layouts etc. have things moved on?. I am using Java 5, as there will be some crossover with a webapp and I want to keep the same java version accross the boards.

Any pointers welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

use java swing id imagine, suns official tutorial -> http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/TOC.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Not much has changed in swing recently bar a few minor tweaks and possible one or two newer layout managers added in addition to the existing ones. The basic principles are exactly the same in Java 5.

There was a mini thread on decent free GUI Builders recently here if you want to go down that route. We all know real men use notepad to develop java GUIs though ;).

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055532578

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭BlueSpud

marco_polo wrote: »
    We all know real men use notepad to develop java GUIs though ;).

I use the eclipse IDE, what category do I fall in to?

Anyone know of a simple drag & drop eclipse plug-in do do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

BlueSpud wrote: »

If your looking for drag and drop try netbeans, has a nice visual studio style setup for drag and drop gui.

a good java programmer should be able to code from notepad and use the compiler but its more practical to use an IDE.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

BlueSpud wrote: »

It was a joke?

As for plugins Jigloo is supposed to be good but is only free for non commercial use, I don't know if any of the free ones are great, most seem to be for older eclipse versions or perpetually stuck in Beta edition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭BlueSpud

Thanks guys, I am well on my way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I'd use NetBeans for anything that requires a complex layout.. It's just a matter of adding a few listeners and doing some backend code. But simple GUI's, code from scratch.

I'd personally advise to start-out with a text editor first though, just so you can wrap your head around the idea of working with awt/swing.

Advertisement