Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any tips of trimming bushes?

Options
  • 22-04-2009 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭

Hi

I need to trim back some of the bushes and schrubs in the garden. Is this the wrong time to do it? Is there any general advice you can give?

Also, i have this schrub, no idea what it is. Its got the long long leaves, sorta like a palm schrub. How do i trim this back?

Any help would be great

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭wewantchilly

glineli wrote: »
    Hi

I need to trim back some of the bushes and schrubs in the garden. Is this the wrong time to do it? Is there any general advice you can give?

Also, i have this schrub, no idea what it is. Its got the long long leaves, sorta like a palm schrub. How do i trim this back?

Any help would be great

i would advise picking up an rhs plant identifier pocket book. not to expensive, i got a 2nd hand one for 4euro in Enable Ireland. try to i.d. your plants as best you can, then you can google each one and it should give youa rough prunin guide.
    as a general rule, cut out any dead, diseased or dying material on the plant, but when pruning, take into account where the flower buds are and when they will blossom, you dont want to cut of the most attractive part of the plant. after this it depends on how much you need to take off, general rule again is never to cut off more then 1/3 of the branch/stem/plant otherwise it may not recover, make sure to leave enough green leaf to allow it to recover and ALWAYS cut back to just above a bud, using sharp and clean cutters eg secateurs,loppers etc

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

If you like you could stick up a few pics here and I'm sure the users here would be able to help you identify your plant and give the relevant pruning advice for the ones you have the names of..

Different shrubs have different times of the year for pruning..

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Zack21

I wrecken that you should wait till late september to cut plants to be safe, but then again you should check which plants should be cut in early spring and september for the main reason that you might cut the heads off of shrubs that are coming into flower.

Advertisement