Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childcare fees

Options
  • 22-04-2009 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

I recently started my child in a creche and I set up direct debit for payment. The child was there a few weeks and I got a letter home with her to say the direct debit never went thru and I owed them €800 (€80 p/w x 10 weeks).
    It wasn't my fault that the direct debit never went thru and now I'm stuck with this massive bill. What should I do? I told them I'll pay what I can each week but I also have to pay the fee too which is causing financial difficulty. And now the childcare grant has been sliced in half and cut at the end of the year which is even worse. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

I know how such a backlog can be very heavy on a household budget. A question that comes to mind is how did it go unnoticed for so long.

Anyway, the right thing is to pay for it. If the reason why it didn't go through is because the bank messed it up, maybe you could talk to them about getting an €800 loan to be paid over one year, which should cost less than €20 a week. Actually, even if it wasn't their fault that might be the best way forward.

You are doing the right thing by looking for ideas to sort it out. When things get tough many people tend to put a pillow over their heads and hope it goes away, but this is always the worst thing to do.

By the way, €80 per week sounds like very good value. Is it a part time setup?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Bubbles09 wrote: »
    IAnd now the childcare grant has been sliced in half and cut at the end of the year which is even worse. :confused:

how did you not notice the DD was going through your account? you need to contact your bank and see if they can help out

also the childcare payments being cut are going to help you out even furhter, as you will get a free childcare place so you wont be paying all the €80.00 each week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

also the childcare payments being cut are going to help you out even furhter, as you will get a free childcare place so you wont be paying all the €80.00 each week

can you explain this? I thought the payments were going towards designated pre-school places?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Only if the child is over 3 years and 3 months (if I have picked things up correctly:confused:). Isn't it fre-preschool year rather than childcare? Since the OP mentioned creche rather than preschool I assume it's a younger child.

OP there's not a lot you can do now. If the money is owed it is owed. Zynks suggestion is a good one. I won't berate you for not noticing that the direct debit wasn't leaving your a/c. I'm awful at keeping an eye on my a/c and only notice when the atm won't give me any money :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

The creche will obviously need to be paid - sit down with them and ask them what would be the minimum that you could repay per week. Im suprised the creche didnt pick it up sooner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Bubbles09 wrote: »
    I recently started my child in a creche and I set up direct debit for payment. The child was there a few weeks and I got a letter home with her to say the direct debit never went thru and I owed them €800 (€80 p/w x 10 weeks).
    It wasn't my fault that the direct debit never went thru and now I'm stuck with this massive bill. What should I do? I told them I'll pay what I can each week but I also have to pay the fee too which is causing financial difficulty. And now the childcare grant has been sliced in half and cut at the end of the year which is even worse. :confused:

Relax, you're fine. You see you didn't actually pay out the initial 800 quid so it's not like you're down 800. In fact you have profited by hanging on to that money for 10 weeks, which is worth *slightly* more than the 800 they are now demanding. Congratulations, you are very slightly up, if anything.

Every week for the last 10 weeks you have had an extra €80 left over in your current account, so that money should still be there if you follow any kind of basic budgeting, so simply transfer that extra unused 800 immediately to the creche and you're clear. I shouldn't imagine the creche will let this happen again though, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Bubbles09

your joking me - I was working away using my laser card thinking all my bills were paid (direct debit) :( those laser cards are a curse ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nora1

In fairness it is not their fault and they are down the 800 euro so you will have to pay them. I'm sure if you have a chat with them you can work out a way to pay them back a certain amount each week until it's paid off. Also, it might be a good idea to register with online banking and keep an eye on your account in the future so you will notice when something like this happens.

Advertisement