Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ginger cake

• 22-04-2009 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got a good reliable recipe for a ginger cake that they would share (the recipe and then the cake)? My OH has asked me to make her one but I have never tried before so I don't know where to start.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I got one in the Good Housekeeping cookbook.

It was grand but you need stem ginger for it that's in syrup. It costs a bomb. Basically I could have bought 6 Jamaica Ginger cakes for the price of the ingredients, and it wasn't as nice. I only made it because himself found out he was intolerant to Corn Syrup.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

Find a recipie for carrot cake. one to make 1 bread tin. substitute the carrot with ginger. or personally i make carrot and ginger. it rocks:D

1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.

2. Grease a 30cm round cake tin with butter.

3. To make the cake: place the carrots in a medium pan, just cover with water and add the orange juice. Bring to the boil and cook until tender. Drain, but do not cool.

4. Put the carrots, corn oil, sugar and 4 egg yolks in to blender or food processor and blend to a purée. Leave to cool.

5. Whisk the egg whites until stiff and set aside.

6. Place the carrot purée in a mixing bowl and gently fold in the flour and baking powder and mix well together. Gently fold in the egg whites. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 40-45 minutes until golden and cooked. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.

7. Whisk the double cream until thick but not stiff and gradually stir in the liqueur.

8. When the cake is cold, cut it in half horizontally and sandwich with the whipped cream.

9. Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and stir in the liqueur and water until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Drizzle over the cake and leave

For a cake of this size use 1/2 a bulb of ginger or if not using carrot, use a full one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Delia has a fantastic "Preserved Ginger Cake with Lemon Icing" - Aldi or Lidl sell/sold stem ginger cheaply enough, but you can make candied ginger easily yourself and use that: it's just ginger, sugar and water. You can use the ginger syrup as a "soaking syrup" if you poke some holes into the cake with a thin skewer once it's just out of the oven and still warm, and brush some syrup on to add flavour and moistness. Oh, and zest some lemon into the icing too for extra zing.

Advertisement