Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blind Rubik's Cube

Options
  • 22-04-2009 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

Anyone know someone who might be interested in a tactile Rubik's cube. How I made it is described here.

P1020984.JPG

I'm going to make another one tonight that uses materials (as in felt, tire rubber, wood etc) rather then buttons.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 soycuba

Im sure that the NCBI (national council for the blind in ireland) would appreciate one at their training centre in whitworth road in drumcondra .. ive done some photography work there with them for an exhibition and they do a lot of training in relation to using their sense of touch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Great idea gracias.

My new one is all black (uses velcro, mesh, rough canvas and foam) which means someone with a developed sense of touch should probably be better at it then the average person. I think it would be cool for a blind person to be able to go round challenging puzzle nerds to a cube off. :D

Id definatly do up one for them .. they also have a small shop in there where people can but tactile goods etc .. like tactile snakes and ladders .. im hopefully going to be doing more shooting there if you want i can mention it ..

im hopefully going to be doing more shooting there if you want i can mention it ..

That's very kind of you. I should call in myself though.

Do you have any samples of the photos? Its a great idea.

that i do .. if you have an email address id gladly pass them on .. sorry im having trouble uploading them here ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

cavedave wrote: »
    That's very kind of you. I should call in myself though.

I'm in there myself Monday-Thursday so if you're heading in you should note that the main building is closed from 1pm to 2pm for lunch if you're thinking of heading in.

I'm not sure of the direct line for the shop number but as soon as I find it I'll post it. Anyway here's the main buildings number.

1850 33 43 53

Very good idea and I'll ask the trainees there what they think of the idea.

P1020996.JPG

I'm trying a few more prototypes. Here is an all black one with canvas, velcro, foam, sandpaper, mesh and blank. I will try the NCBI when I am happy with the quality. Thanks for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Would Braille work on such a cube assuming you put a line into signify orientation.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Would Braille work on such a cube assuming you put a line into signify orientation.

Sounds like a good idea. You could make various versions. If you made a braille one you could just have the colours and the word "red" in braille on the square.

I asked some of the trainees on Monday and they seem to like the idea.

Advertisement