Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

need help about digital radio

• 22-04-2009 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

im in the process of buying a digital radio but am confused there are so many different ones. what i want to know if i can get bbc stations and other stations from around the world etc i was looking in argos and they have a good stock but im puzzled, any help appreciated
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You're after a standalone internet radio?

You need to get a box with Reciva software as its the one which features the most channels, you need to buy one with realaudio as the bbc uses this for non-UK ip addresses.

Check this forum for radios

https://www.reciva.com/index.php?option=com_joomlaboard&Itemid=108&func=showcat&catid=3

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

[MOD] I think this thread is better suited in Radio, so moving it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A DAB digital radio - the kind of digital radio in most shops here - will not get you BBC radio unless you live on the north faces of the Dublin mountains really. It will get you a selection of RTE services - all their FM ones and some digital only ones - if you live in the coverage area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

Hi

Yesterday I bought my dad a Roberts WM202 Wi Fi Radio Portable so that he could listen to BBC radio in the house. And after messing around with it last night I was actually blown away by how good it was.

With internet radio you can get stations from every country, and even the local/regional stations. It has all the BBC stations.

Digital radio won't ever have BBC available in Ireland.

Also, the Roberts WM202 does podcasting (which i didn't think would work well when i bought it) but it actually works brilliantly.

It's expensive but I really recommend it, I'm thinking about buying a second one for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 maggiemagpie

thanks for the help everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Yes internet radio is great. You can search for music stations by genre. So you can avoid all the rubbish pop music. You don't have to bother with cd's or mp3's etc. There is so much choice out there. Its just a matter of finding your type of music. My favorite station at the mo is Blues Radio UK. But I think its great for podcasts too.

My internet radio has also got DAB and normal anologue (FM) and I got it in Argos for around 70/80 euro. There is not a lot of choice on DAB at the mo but I think RTE Choice is very good.

Also: I'm not into mp3's so I have not stored my music digitally however I think I will do so now because this internet radio of mine also allows me to listen music stored on my computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

My internet radio is a Transciva IR804 by the way and below is a link to a thread elsewhere on boards.ie in which someone else has reviewed it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=58181747

• Registered Users Posts: 39 maggiemagpie

thanks malman going to argos today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

malman wrote: »
    Yes internet radio is great. You can search for music stations by genre. So you can avoid all the rubbish pop music. You don't have to bother with cd's or mp3's etc. There is so much choice out there. Its just a matter of finding your type of music. My favorite station at the mo is Blues Radio UK. But I think its great for podcasts too.

My internet radio has also got DAB and normal anologue (FM) and I got it in Argos for around 70/80 euro. There is not a lot of choice on DAB at the mo but I think RTE Choice is very good.

Also: I'm not into mp3's so I have not stored my music digitally however I think I will do so now because this internet radio of mine also allows me to listen music stored on my computer.

Malman

Sorry to drag this old thing up again! If I bought one of these, could I bring it on holidays to Europe and tune into stations from here and UK over there? Is it lightweight and portable? Sorry if this seems a stupid question but I is clueless when it comes to radios - thanks - B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Babooshka wrote: »
    Malman

Sorry to drag this old thing up again! If I bought one of these, could I bring it on holidays to Europe and tune into stations from here and UK over there? Is it lightweight and portable? Sorry if this seems a stupid question but I is clueless when it comes to radios - thanks - B

you could - as long as you have an internet connection. Many hotels will have wireless, but a lot charge, and have pre-configured access times (one hour, three hours etc) so it'd be best to check before you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭SuperDude87

Another question hijacking the thread but do these bad boys come availabe to put in the car? Would like to have one in the car but the evident lack of internet connection is the problem. Will be starting to drive soon and would love Irish radio in the car!

Thanks guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Would like to have one in the car but the evident lack of internet connection is the problem.

Thanks guys

exactly. I think, however, there are systems on trial in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Another question hijacking the thread but do these bad boys come availabe to put in the car? Would like to have one in the car but the evident lack of internet connection is the problem. Will be starting to drive soon and would love Irish radio in the car!

Thanks guys

Where are you? In the UK you'll get RTE1 in most of the country on LW...

There is no reliable method to provide high enough capacity internet on the go for in-car internet radios even in cities, in rural areas there often isn't even phone signal enough for a GSM call to connect let alone internet radio. Car radio is going to be FM for the forseeable future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

MYOB wrote: »
    Where are you? In the UK you'll get RTE1 in most of the country on LW...

There is no reliable method to provide high enough capacity internet on the go for in-car internet radios even in cities, in rural areas there often isn't even phone signal enough for a GSM call to connect let alone internet radio. Car radio is going to be FM for the forseeable future.

Something for the future http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx1kELNi5dI

Advertisement