Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

science student with criminal record- can he get a job?

Options
  • 22-04-2009 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi
    I'm a science student at a dublin university. Recently, I got into trouble with the local gardai on a night out, and was subsequentially arrested. The offence wasn't anything major - I picked up a toy from a broken shop window. I think he just gave me a very serious warning and told me to go home My question is; if he reported it and it gives me a criminal record, will it prevent me from getting jobs in labs in the future?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I'm responsible for hiring people in Medical Communications. All I can say is that something as simple as that wouldn't prevent me interviewing somebody.

It would make me want to explore the personality of the person I'm interviewing a bit more. I'd be asking lots of questions to find what type of person this was. Was it a one-off 'student days' prank, is this person someone who suffers from 'serial stupidity', are they responsible etc.

If the person came across well at interview, recognised that it was a silly incident and that nothing like that had happened since or would again then providing I got a good vibe, their qualifications were in order and references were good then something like that wouldn't bother me at all. I know some people who were in Uni with me who were nutters on nights out and are now very senior in their own companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

rigumagoo wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm a science student at a dublin university. Recently, I got into trouble with the local gardai on a night out, and was subsequentially arrested. The offence wasn't anything major - I picked up a toy from a broken shop window. I think he just gave me a very serious warning and told me to go home My question is; if he reported it and it gives me a criminal record, will it prevent me from getting jobs in labs in the future?

I'm open to correction here, but I would've thought that you can't have a criminal record without being convincted, and you can't be convincted without going to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

You are right bigjim, if everything stays as is then there is no criminal record. It doesn't even sound as if the OP was charged (of course that can come later but I'm pretty sure it would have been made clear if that was going to happen).

OP: The one thing is now that you are know possibley "known to the gardai", there may be some info on you on the PULSE system or whatever. This means if you get in trouble again, it could cause them not to be lenient even for something trivial.

Be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Unless you have been to court and convicted by a judge you DO NOT have a criminal record. Even a caution is not revealed to anyone if they do a garda check.

IN my experience the very very worst youl get is a caution and thats nothing as I mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

I'm open to correction here, but I would've thought that you can't have a criminal record without being convincted, and you can't be convincted without going to court.

bingo!

a garda told you to cop on and stop messing? so what? it's happened to most people

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

The Guards have six months from the date of the offence in which to make a 'complaint' i.e. to apply for a summons. So in practical terms six months from the date, if you haven't heard anything, you should be ok - bearing in mind the summons might come a bit later if the Garda has been sitting on it for a while.
    What I will say is - and I don't mean to be cruel - but ninety percent of summonses I've seen have been applied for a day or two before the expiration of the time period.
    If you are charged, remember, not all employers ask you to disclose criminal convictions.
    Also, if you have to go to the District Court, if it is your first offence and you are quite persuasive or have a good lawyer, you might be able to get the 'Probation Act' if you stump up a good bit for charity, at least E500 I would have thought. Then, your record is considered 'clean' unless you re-offend.

p.s. when I say 'persuasive' I mean of course very apologetic and deferential. Don't wear a tracksuit.

Advertisement