Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WANTED: Lift to Marine Institute!

• 22-04-2009 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi!

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, I've only just opened my account.

Anyway, I'm searching for a lift to the Marine Institute (near Oranmore) from the 1st week in May until the 12th of June. Mon-Fri, 9-5, but i can be flexible! I'll be living in the Headford area if that helps (though i remember the traffic being a bit crap around there :D) but i can travel somewhere else to be picked up if you need me to.

If anyone is interested, or knows someone who might be able to help me out I'd appreciate it!!

NATURALLY I'd make a contribution towards petrol each week :)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I've just sent you a PM. Having re-read your post though, my route might not be any help to you :o. Are you living in/near Headford village or somewhere on the Headford road that's within walking distance of the city?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Don't know if it'll help you or not, but I understand that there's a daily bus from Oranmore Village out to the MI - I guess reception out there might know more details about it.

/rant
    How they ever got planning to put that monstrous building right on the coastline, and all those staff soo far out there is beyond me. I can understand that some of what they do needs direct access to the water, but surely most of it could be done from offices closer to transport links!
    /rant-off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

I think its a pretty cool building and sits in its environment well.

Whatever about the building, the road leading up to it is nasty. The surface is like glass so can be quite treacherous when it's raining or frosty (which as you all know is a rare event in Galway). Helpfully there are speedbumps installed every 10 feet so even if your car does lose grip, you won't slide very far before you fetch up against one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 UisceBeo

wow looks like i stepped on a raw nerve ;)

JustMary - thanks a million for the bus tip and the heads up about the road!
    Malice - I'll get back to you as soon as I confirm times etc blah.
    Webbs - I haven't seen the building yet, but I'll take your word for it.

Thanks everyone for the help! much appreciated

• Advertisement

UisceBeo wrote: »
    Ah no, not at all. It just happens that I've travelled that road a bit and I know two people who've had incidents in their cars on it.
    UisceBeo wrote:
    That's grand. I'll ask around and see if I know anyone else who might be able to help as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

UisceBeo wrote: »

JustMary - thanks a million for the bus tip and the heads up about the road!
    Webbs - I haven't seen the building yet, but I'll take your word for it.

Thanks everyone for the help! much appreciated

Jealous you are working there as isnt far from home and is in a beautiful location. the building is one of those am sure that you either love or hate.
    Enjoy oranmore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

not totally sold on the building but the area is beautiful!! if you get some time kill on your lunch break id take a walk around the park, the woods and the coast they are the most scenic and relaxing places around. i love the area, wish i was working there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Webbs wrote: »
    I think its a pretty cool building and sits in its environment well.

I'm just not convinced that it's a good thing for folks in Claddagh / Gratton Park / the Prom to be able to see an institutional building way over beyond Oranmore!

Advertisement