Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon Equipment Appraisal

• 22-04-2009 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

Guys,

Just wondering if one of you would know the value of my equipment:

Canon 10D
    Tamron 19-35mm EF lens
    Canon 28 - 105mm EF lens
    Canon 50mm EF lens
    Canon 420EX flash
    Canon cable shutter release

I have this equipment a number of years but it's hardly been used. I sincerely doubt I've taken more than 2,500 photos with it. The tamron has been used twice & the 28-105 has been used maybe a total of ten times.

Equipment is flawless in terms of condition.

I find it unwieldy & was considering getting a bridge camera to take it's place as I feel I'd get a lot more use/pleasure out of it.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Please do NOT make offers for the equipment on this thread.

This is being let run as it's an inquiry about the value, not an offer to sell. If it looks like going the wrong way this thread will be removed.

I am assuming the items will be placed in Adverts.ie in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

well the Canon 28-105 lens is (unfortunately) the lesser quality of the two models, so I would expect not to get more than 50 quid for that. The 50mm 1.4 should fetch you up to 200 quid, maybe 150 for the flash and the Tamron lens (each) and 200 for the camera body

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Yeah, just want to find out the value before putting them up... When I think of it, I reckon I spent around £2,700 on the body, flash & one lens back when I bought it... some investment :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭alexandros

Not to seem insensitive.. but: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depreciation
    I think the "investment factor" in good photography gear is that it will keep doing what it is supposed to do for an extended period of time (and do it well) without breaking down. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

iMax wrote: »
    ... When I think of it, I reckon I spent around £2,700 on the body, flash & one lens back when I bought it... some investment :(

Well, I would never buy photographic gear as an investment. Once it does the job and I am getting enjoyment out of it, I'm happy. I take it as read that a camera body will depreciate significantly and that if I ever want to sell it I will only get a small fraction of the original purchase price.

New cameras with higher specs are coming out all the time and few people will want a long outdated body like the 10D. Lenses won't lose as much value provided they are good quality and in good nick.

I think the money one spends on photo gear is worth it provided it is being used on a regular basis and you get a kick out of photography. Just don't expect a financial return (unless of course you are a professional).

Regards,

John

• Advertisement

Well obviously I didn't buy it thinking it would go up in value - it's not property you know !! ;)

By investment, I thought I would get more use out of it than I did. I took about 2,000 pics, therefore each one cost me over £1 each (yikes!!!) ROI wasn't great. Didn't think the body would be worth that little though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Is the 50mm an f1.4 or a MK1 f1.8?

The 1.4 would be worth about 200 as mentioned, the 1.8 somewhat less, maybe 75 or so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Pete67 wrote: »
    Is the 50mm an f1.4 or a MK1 f1.8?

The 1.4 would be worth about 200 as mentioned, the 1.8 somewhat less, maybe 75 or so?
    I can't find the price of a MKI f1.8 but the MKII is going for about e100 new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Some regard the Mk1 50 1.8 to be preferable to the MK2 as it has a metal mount and a focusing scale. The optics and iris are virtually identical.

Guys,

Just one quick question. Obviously I don't want to be left with a random lens when I do decide to sell this gear. Realistically how much do you think I could get for a bundle ?

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

From what I've seen on Adverts.ie, "bundles" never sell as a whole. You'll clear them a lot quicker by listing each as an individual price and then letting potential buyers make offers on their own "bundles", and they certainly will.

The people who tend to refuse to split the package are generally left with an unbought bunch of kit which they've either the option of a: reducing the price of the overall bundle continuously until it eventually sells, usually well below what they were looking for or b: selling parts separately, clearing most but sometimes being left with one or two pieces.

Advertisement