Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man Utd Match

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I'm absolutely gutted with that result. I was in the pub watching it and couldn't believe that we were 2 up at half time. I didn't think we'd hold out but I hoped that we could keep things the same for the first 20 minutes of the second half, which would have made things very interesting. Not to be however, thanks to Mr. Webb and his awful refereeing decision.

Granted, Utd were excellent in the second half, but they really got a helping hand which was so unfair on Spurs. Oh well, at least we had one good half against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

Whilst there is no doubting that the penalty was undeserved and changed the course of the game, I feel that Gomes really let us down. The second goal was soft and indeed bar Ronaldo's header where King lost him, he could have done better with the other ones. Gomes has come on a lot in recent weeks, especially at home, but he was as guilty as Howard Webb on Saturday. All IMHO

On the positive side, I think the first half shows what we are capable of, and we can build on it for next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Redknapp has his say
    "I know we conceded four goals after that but the penalty pulled them back into it. They weren't going to win the game from where they were, unless something like that happened.

"In my opinion, it changed the game completely.

"I'm not making excuses for conceding bad goals but at that stage of the game there was no way they were going to get back into the game.

"At half-time I felt confident we were going to score again. Every time we got the ball to Aaron Lennon they were afraid and I felt there were more goals there for us.

This might be unpopular with the rest of you, but that is a load of old bollox.

United changed their shape at half-time by bringing on Tevez for Nani, and pushed Rooney on to the left of midfield where he destroyed Corluka. Scholes coming on later sorted out our other advantage from the first half, the centre of midfield. With those two substitutions United nullified everything that we had done well in the 1st half, and the balance tipped in their favour. Corluka had a mare 2nd half, and should have been off after the 3rd goal, if not the 2nd. All of our best play in the 1st half was down their right, but with him all over the shop dealing with Rooney it was much easier for United to deal with Lennon, and apart from Evra's slip which let him through he did fcuk all 2nd half.

United scoring was only a matter of time once they made those changes, and we did nothing to counter them. The peno only gave them more time to pile on, while we were left nursing our wounds instead of getting stuck in.

One thing stood out yesterday at full time, King having a nice chat with Webb about the peno decision, none of our players have the balls to get in a refs face, so Webb's homer decision was all too easy for him. Nonetheless, the decision wasn't his only bad call during the game, Palacios should have walked for his two-footed lunge in the 1st half, and it shows up the hole in the "we waz robbed" argument. I'm sick of hearing Spurs fans making excuses, blaming refs and lineos, blaming the FA and the PL...we don't have the mental toughness to deal with that sort of setback, and so we look for an easy way out. That's not confined to the playing staff, it's right through our DNA as a club, and until it changes we will always be also rans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Great performance up to the pen incident. It simply changed the game and gave them huge confidence to push on and do what they did.

Very disapointed with the goals we conceded after the penalty.

2 poor referee decisions for the 1st 2 goals cost us what could have been one of our best perormances of the season.

Need prob 9 from 12 to have a chance of 7th now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Complete b*11*x of a refereeing decision that gave Manure momentum....

BUT we were still one-up; what happened the resolve that saw us make the Arse game 4-4 ?

Hope the ref feels sickened when he watches his mistake on the highlights tonight (although I think he knew it immediately, because otherwise Gomes would've gotten a red).

But the fact is that there was still no reason to let Manure run rings around us.....

Sickening, but not just the ref.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭froosh69

yeah, Corluka had Nani in his pocket in the first have and Palacios was immense in centre midfield. Fletcher and Carrick didn't get a look in.

With Nani off and Tevez on, all they needed was a bit of luck, and they got it.

I was very frustrated with Robbie Keane.

Did anyone notice that he always came for the short ball in midfield and ALWAYS played a short one-two instead of making runs or looking for a through ball?

I really thought that the first half went to Woodgate. He won everything that was thrown at him. Also Lennon had Evras head spinning.

At the end of the day, Utd wanted it more, but if we want to challenge for honours, we cant throw away 2-0 leads and I think Utd were a class apart in the second half- yes thay got the luck, but sometimes thats all thats needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

We'll never win at Old Trafford - even when we score a la Mendes!!

Webb was a disgrace for first 2 goals but Gomes was very poor for 2 of them also.

I had 2 bets on Spurs to win 8/1 and draw 7/2 on Betfair - i was so excited at HT i forgot to lay them off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Howard Webb - Utd´s 12th man - Disgusting - Hope Liverpool win the league now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭neilisagam

cant keep balming howard webb. fair enough dodgy decision on the peno but the lads didn't show up for the second half. robbie wasn't even on the pitch i think. jenas and palacios were overrun in the centre. corluka has distroyed by rooney. gomes kept us in it up until half time so his mistake for the goal im willing to overlook because he made 2 top class saves to keep us in it. united were always going to get back into it. they had so many chances it was bound to happen.

we cant keep blamen refs and gomes. step back and look at the secound half....we were sh*te

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

To go two up and lose is heart breaking the penalty i dont think was a penalty but it happens after that we seemed to lose ourselves heads down and robbie was terrible kept giving the ball away. We will win at old trafford just think it could be another 20 odd years before we do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭el diablo

neilisagam wrote: »
    cant keep balming howard webb. fair enough dodgy decision on the peno but the lads didn't show up for the second half. robbie wasn't even on the pitch i think. jenas and palacios were overrun in the centre. corluka has distroyed by rooney. gomes kept us in it up until half time so his mistake for the goal im willing to overlook because he made 2 top class saves to keep us in it. united were always going to get back into it. they had so many chances it was bound to happen.

we cant keep blamen refs and gomes. step back and look at the secound half....we were sh*te
    Yes, you're right, I agree. Pretty sure they would've beaten us anyway. I've seen it happen so many times, giving away 2 or 3 goal leads. Nothing has changed, we've always had a soft centre.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

No winning mentality yet. Could you imagine Everton dying like that? Hasven't got to watch it yet, but I felt listewning to it on 5live thatwhen Utd changed to 4 up at half time we should have made changes.
    1 Get a busy midfielder on -O Hara would be my choice, but Zokora or a fired up Bentley would have been OK. Get keane or Bent off, and have Lennon and Modric to back up front player on the break. We never had 2 baanks of four solid. A two goal lead should not be easily surrendured.
    OR
    2 Bring on Hutton or Chimbonda. Either push Corluka into the middle releasing Ledley to play sweeper and see it in front of him, or get charlie out of there.

I couldn't believe how lacadasical some of the players seemed in the second half. Jenas in particular, although Ledley was ambling around as well. A win wouldhave left us warm favourites for 7th, West Ham and Wigan both lost, and Fulham have a tough run-in.

We need to buy in a couple of proven winners in the summer. A Davids type terrier in midfield. I've no idea who, but tahats what we lack above all else. As for selling Bent/Pav and bringing in replacement(s), unless we have a tough focussed engine, it's deckchairs on the titanic. I'd like to see a midfield of Bentley/Palacios/O Hara/Modric at Everton in a fortnight. Dogs of war stuff.
    Harry's done so much right I won't lose faith. He may have learned a lot about some players on Saturday evening.
    We still can start next season in good shape, but a hard shell must be found to match the quality we have going forward. The two goals were class, and would havebeen enough to keep usd in the game until the 98th minute if that resilience was in the heart of the team. Not an isolated recurrence -in the current excellent run ,there have been three instnces of folding on the road -Bolton, Blackburn, and now this. No shame in losing to a fired up Un ited attack, but we seemed too resigned and docile. In the words of the real red army - Stand up and fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Meathfan

Just back from match.

I was in the West stand and could see it wasnt a peno.

Webb was closer but gave it....Wonder why ???

Also after they scored peno and the restart...Harry should have made a change.

Not only to silience the crowd but to break up momentum.

Again he could have done this after the second...

After that we gave up....damn professional footballers earning more in a week than most in a year.

I am p*ssed with them ..totally.

It will be a long while B4 I go see Spurs again.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

The Twelfth Man

gomeswebb275.jpg

Picture the scene. Manchester United are locked at 1-1 on 88 minutes with Wigan Athletic during their game in hand on May 13th. Antonio Valencia has the ball near the corner flag with Paul Scholes nipping at his heels to get it back. Referee Howard Webb decides to take the matter into his own hands, lunging in hip-high on the Wigan winger before streaking away with the ball.

Fourth official Rob Styles smells what's on and makes a darting run to the back post as Webb stands up a beautifully inviting cross. Styles connects with the meat of his massive forehead and the ball powers past Chris Kirkland. Webb and Styles then slide on their knees in front of the United end and all the players pile on.

That fantasy scenario might not seem so far fetched after a truly horrendous penalty award at Old Trafford on Saturday, one equally as bad as Styles' decision to penalise Bolton's Jay Lloyd Samuel for having the temerity to get the ball when he tackled Ronaldo inside the area back in September.

United were 2-0 down against Spurs and floundering, creating little until Webb's horror peep. After the pen award, Harry Redknapp's jangly jowls became so baggy through incredulity you could have fitted a family of woodpeckers in them.

And yes, what followed was supreme attacking football but surely the point is, would such a goal-fest have come spewing forth had Webb not given them a lifeline? We shall never know.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=641162&sec=england&root=england&cc=5739

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

meath fan and anyone else at the match.
    did u see or hear of any trouble from the stewards and police at the ground? i heard a whisper the spurs fans got harshly treated by the "officials" there.

i also heard the were signing crazy chants of hissing gas noise's, nazi salutes, the normal anti semetic remarks & songs. nothing done but..........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 PadrigoCass

He should also admit hes a terrible referee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 limerickyidd

As a result of Webb, United were handed the League Title, Hope ure happy Howard.

Advertisement