Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeds etc

Options
  • 22-04-2009 12:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Bought some Fothergill seeds in packs. Got lettuce and carrot seed -but then noticed on the pack they were for outdoor planting and I want to plant them inside in my polytunnell?

Will they grow for me indoors you reckon?:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭wewantchilly

Hi,

Bought some Fothergill seeds in packs. Got lettuce and carrot seed -but then noticed on the pack they were for outdoor planting and I want to plant them inside in my polytunnell?

Will they grow for me indoors you reckon?:)

of course they will grow for you. not only will they germinate faster but the lettuce seeds should give better yields and if you are using a raised bed system like i do, the carrots will be much bigger as as well, provided they have a good deep root zone. just remember, you will have to water them a lot more in the tunnel. i found sowing into a modular seed tray then planting out from that into the beds when they have a good root system gets better yields. this way you can also water the tray before planting, then the new plants have a good source of water available to them from the start, easing the shock of the transplant to the beds.
    during hotter times and excess sun, you might need to cover the lettuce with some kind of shading material to stop scorch.
    couple of tips for you i found very handy.

plant garlic around the carrots an lettuce to keep away aphid.works like a charm.
    water in the mornings so the plants are not stressed during the day but also, the soil surface will be drier at night and slugs and snails are less inclined to crawl up to your lettuce.
    hope this helped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Chilly,

This is brilliant info - really good, I'm new to this as I just built myself a nice new polytunnel and I'm going to plat it out now.
    Thanks and i may be pm'ing you in the future.

Thanks,

NIF

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

By having a polytunnel you will have more sucess with all sorts of seeds.. You can even get seeds growing in the heat of the tunnel and once they are sprouting you can harden them off (get them accostomed to the chilly outdoors) and plant them out in the garden then to grow large.

Advertisement