Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canoes

Options
  • 22-04-2009 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭

Is there anywhere in or near Galway where you can hire out open canoes for a few hours or a day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Try Galway Rowing club or Corrib Canoe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Rusheen Bay Windsurfing hire out open canoes, and Rusheen Bay is a beautiful sheltered bay which is nice for a paddle (its beside Knocknacarra, on the Barna road). See www.rusheenbay.com

High tide is best! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

cornbb wrote: »
    Rusheen Bay Windsurfing hire out open canoes, and Rusheen Bay is a beautiful sheltered bay which is nice for a paddle (its beside Knocknacarra, on the Barna road). See www.rusheenbay.com

High tide is best! :)

If its low tide you can walk over and give me a hand digging bait! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

Thanks for the info... went to Rusheen Bay after work but it doesnt seem like they do them.

I was thinking of something like this

CanadaCanoe_Alamy460.jpg

not this

feel-free-gemini-ff-3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

You're after a Canadian Canoe then methinks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Ah I geddit. I was down at Rusheen too this evening and saw a big stack of the sit-on-top canoes. Don't have a clue where you'd get the canadian ones in Galway. Unless you're handy with a hammer and chisel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Corrib Canoe will only be running for one month this summer, and do not rent out canoes. There's nowhere you can rent them really in Galway. River Deep don't sell them. The best you can do is put a post on galwaykayakclub.com and see if someone is willing to lend theirs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

http://www.petersburg.ie/

I was on a Canadian canoe with this place years ago, as part of some school trip. Mighty craic, dunno what the story is with non-school groups and that but I think they open up for anyone in the summer. Tis a fair bit out from Galway city but a nice spot, give them a shout and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

hoody wrote: »
    http://www.petersburg.ie/

I was on a Canadian canoe with this place years ago, as part of some school trip. Mighty craic, dunno what the story is with non-school groups and that but I think they open up for anyone in the summer. Tis a fair bit out from Galway city but a nice spot, give them a shout and see what they say.

Petersburg / Delphi is some craic. Wish I was young again, on a school trip away at these places. I know they do adult weekends away etc. but couldn't get a group together of my own friends, think it was defo more of a buzz when younger with all yer school friends

Just wish I went more often!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Rob the bronze age one out of the Alantiquarium - you can see looking at her that she's just gagging for a spin after all these years. I'll help you carry her over the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

topper75 wrote: »
    Rob the bronze age one out of the Alantiquarium - you can see looking at her that she's just gagging for a spin after all these years. I'll help you carry her over the road.

I'd rather have this one

x4_CanoeNativeAmerican.JPG

Out of interest.... can you go in and see it in the Uni? Where abouts is it? (http://www.galwaynews.ie/6993-canadian-tribe-wants-its-canoe-back)

And as for getting a Canadian canoe for a wee while, I'll follow up on Delphi and Petersburg. I also found a a few places around Lough Derg and the Shannon where you can hire them out so I'll follow up on them too.

Advertisement