Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Super DJ,big name nights

• 22-04-2009 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Ive just been having a gander at the clubing sub section and just having a look at the gigs on offer,the likes of Sasha,Booka Shade and the like,I dont know if its just me,but Ive been to alot of these nights before,all over the place,but predominantly Tripod,and I have to say I find them unbelievably boring,zero atmosphere and no craic to be had,but what annoys me most is the price,your looking at handing over 25/30 quid at the door,2 quid for your coat,and for over priced drinks probably 120,so nearly 150 all and all,does anybody have any interest in going these gigs,does anyone else find them a snorefest?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

checklist1.jpg

That's the reason why a lot of people go to see the big names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Tripod is the most horribly laid out club. Woks fine for gigs but not as a venue for club nights. They never have enough staff on the bar leading to crushs and people getting inpatient. It takes ages to get from one end to another bumping into everyone. The Q for jackets is really badly managed. Having to go downstairs for a smoke is a pain too and the toilets are mank. All that kind of stuff just ruins the atmosphere a bit.

I find with big names that often people are just there to be there. Probably not that into the music but need to be seen to be at the thing.

One place that actually works great since it was done up is The Button Factory. Have really enjoyed any of the big name nights in there I was at like Claude Von Stroke and Marc Houle.

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    One place that actually works great since it was done up is The Button Factory. Have really enjoyed any of the big name nights in there I was at like Claude Von Stroke and Marc Houle.

Button Factory is a great venue, been there a few times since it's been done up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

biggest_liar_05_sign_470x353.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

So Johnny seems to have a new partner in crime in not understanding how capitalism works.

FFS, this is beyond a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭francois

Tripod is the most horribly laid out club. Woks fine for gigs but not as a venue for club nights.

Agreed-used to be the opposite, the sound at gigs was atrocious, but has really improved, however they do pack 'em in and squeeze 'em dry for club events.
    As a venue the button factory is much better-much improved on the old TBMC, though in fairness the best sound i ever heard in any nightclub in this country was easily Henry's-I know they had it custom built, and spent a small fortune, but it showed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

francois wrote: »
    Agreed-used to be the opposite, the sound at gigs was atrocious, but has really improved, however they do pack 'em in and squeeze 'em dry for club events.
    As a venue the button factory is much better-much improved on the old TBMC, though in fairness the best sound i ever heard in any nightclub in this country was easily Henry's-I know they had it custom built, and spent a small fortune, but it showed

What kinda sound system did UFO have Francois?was it decent for the time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭francois

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    What kinda sound system did UFO have Francois?was it decent for the time?

Bog standard Crest amps, not particularly good...better than the rock garden though, we had to bring fans in to stop the system overheating on warm nights

jtsuited wrote: »
    So Johnny seems to have a new partner in crime in not understanding how capitalism works.

FFS, this is beyond a joke.

I think he was less concerned with the price and more with the overall ****nes of the atmosphere and event which I kind of agree with. If you have ever been to a big club in Europe you would have to agree.

The price thing is different. If people are willing to pay that kind of money then the clubs should keep charging it. I can see prices coming down soon enough though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

RaverRo makes a valid point,these vastly overpriced club nights can be brutal, some of the best ever nites ive had in my 19 years raving have been small underground Raves and NOT seeing big name DJ's in poncy superclubs, of course some big nites can be good but at what cost,people are too quick to jump on bandwagons and follow the hype and whatever DJ is flavour of the month in Mixmag or whatever,many times ive seen resident DJ's play far better sets than so called superstar DJ's,the underground is what it's at for me and always has been,ill only very occasionally go to some of these big nites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

jonny68 wrote: »
    RaverRo makes a valid point,these vastly overpriced club nights can be brutal, some of the best ever nites ive had in my 19 years raving have been small underground Raves and NOT seeing big name DJ's in poncy superclubs, of course some big nites can be good but at what cost,people are too quick to jump on bandwagons and follow the hype and whatever DJ is flavour of the month in Mixmag or whatever,many times ive seen resident DJ's play far better sets than so called superstar DJ's,the underground is what it's at for me and always has been,ill only very occasionally go to some of these big nites.

Can't see what your problem is then and.....

Good God : for the last time -
    DON'T GO TO NIGHTS YOU THINK ARE OVERPRICED

You think it's bandwagonners going to these nights? Let them pay what you deem an 'unreasonable' price. What difference does it make to you?

Can someone who's not on Johnny's ignore list please repost this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Agreed jonny68 in a different thread you said you spent 500punts on a night out yet your complaining about a entry fee of 20-25euro.

Take your moans elsewhere and enjoy you clubbing in England, let people pay the entry fee into clubs if they want too, the rest of us can enjoy better nights for cheaper without the "bandwagon jumpers"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    Ive just been having a gander at the clubing sub section and just having a look at the gigs on offer,the likes of Sasha,Booka Shade and the like,I dont know if its just me,but Ive been to alot of these nights before,all over the place,but predominantly Tripod,and I have to say I find them unbelievably boring,zero atmosphere and no craic to be had,but what annoys me most is the price,your looking at handing over 25/30 quid at the door,2 quid for your coat,and for over priced drinks probably 120,so nearly 150 all and all,does anybody have any interest in going these gigs,does anyone else find them a snorefest?

Who exactly have you seen btw and in which venues? Have you ever seen booka shade in the flesh? Sasha? Do you even like their music? If not your opinion on THEM gigs doesn't count for ****. Would you take my opinion on some old school night being a load of stale **** seriously? No. 150 euro for you to go out, you must go out twice a year.

And some of the best nights out ive ever had have been seeing "big name DJ's in poncy superclubs" And i have never spent over 50 quid on a gig Including alcohol, transport and god help the 2 euro for coats.

You have said the same ****e about bandwagoners on the Deadmau5 thread a while back, because you couldn't understand how people could POSSIBLY enjoy listening to him based on a remix of a carl cox song. Funnily enough that was one of the best gigs i have been too and guess how much the whole night cost me? 25 euro, how much does your boat, taxi and accommodation cost across the pond? yeah.

If we aint bandwagoners we are chin strokers. We get it you don't like the scene of today, get over it. I think the whole old school scene/music is a load of ****e, yet when there was a gig on in the vaults costing 20 euro for a few DJ's who haven't been heard of in 15 years you didnt see me on the thread moaning about stuff that i don't like.

I will be happily parting with 25 euro on friday to have a great night. Enjoy moaning, ill be spending less than your few pints and having more fun.

Agreed jonny68 in a different thread you said you spent 500punts on a night out yet your complaining about a entry fee of 20-25euro.

Take your moans elsewhere and enjoy you clubbing in England, let people pay the entry fee into clubs if they want too, the rest of us can enjoy better nights for cheaper without the "bandwagon jumpers"

don't you fcukin worry i will,value for money and better clubs.

I actually spent more than £500 one particular nite in the POD in the 1990's,i was so mad out of it i cant actually remember, i had a lot of disposable cash at that time so that explains that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

don't you fcukin worry i will,value for money and better clubs.

I actually spent more than £500 one particular nite in the POD in the 1990's,i was so mad out of it i cant actually remember, i had a lot of disposable cash at that time so that explains that.
    ahh c'mon now johnny, £500 in the pod in one night? you sure it wasn't angels?:D

Daroxtar wrote: »
    ahh c'mon now johnny, £500 in the pod in one night? you sure it wasn't angels?:D

straight up mate in the POD, Champagne the lot, was with a load of D4 posh tarts,mental nite,party in some mansion in Sydney Parade afterwards that went on for 2 days..ahh those were the days:D:D:D

Davei141 wrote: »

And some of the best nights out ive ever had have been seeing "big name DJ's in poncy superclubs" And i have never spent over 50 quid on a gig Including alcohol, transport and god help the 2 euro for coats.

You have said the same ****e about bandwagoners on the Deadmau5 thread a while back, because you couldn't understand how people could POSSIBLY enjoy listening to him based on a remix of a carl cox song. Funnily enough that was one of the best gigs i have been too and guess how much the whole night cost me? 25 euro, how much does your boat, taxi and accommodation cost across the pond? yeah.

If we aint bandwagoners we are chin strokers. We get it you don't like the scene of today, get over it. I think the whole old school scene/music is a load of ****e, yet when there was a gig on in the vaults costing 20 euro for a few DJ's who haven't been heard of in 15 years you didnt see me on the thread moaning about stuff that i don't like.

I will be happily parting with 25 euro on friday to have a great night. Enjoy moaning, ill be spending less than your few pints and having more fun.

contrary to your comment im well into dance music today (Soulful/Funky/Jazzy House primarily)you think old skool is ****e that's your prerogative (if you would've experienced it you wouldn't be saying that)i don't go to old skool nites in Dublin because they play the same tunes over and over again,so if people want to pay €20 into the vaults then fair play to them because i wouldn't,a crock of s*ite.

Enjoy moaning :D, ill be clubbing this weekend in Manchester and Leeds and will pay a fraction of what you will pay,with much cheaper drinks, you can go out for a nite on €25,well fair play to you you mustn't drink much or just do a few yokes and not drink at all because going out on €25 is something else in this city,you'd be lucky to get 5 pints for that!!!

enjoy your nite anyway whatever it is your paying €25 into.

PS-For the record the flight cost me a tenner and i don't need accommodation i stay in my birds place.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

I think we should all give Jonny a break. I'm not into his tunes, but to be honest I envy the experiences he had in the mid 90's - the so called "clubbing commuinity" is in my eyes a thing of the past.....

FLYNN-DOG wrote: »
    I think we should all give Jonny a break. I'm not into his tunes, but to be honest I envy the experiences he had in the mid 90's - the so called "clubbing commuinity" is in my eyes a thing of the past.....

+ 1. Johnny gets way too hard a time. I dont like his taste in music but I do respect it. He is passionate about it and it means alot to him obviously so fair play. How boring would the world be if we all liked the same music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

imo there still is a clubbing community. they just dont go to tripod.

i've had some savage nights at big clubs with the superstar esque dj's playing. mainly the temple theatre and redbox. and mainly when cocaine wasnt in everyones johnny pocket.

closest thing i've go to that was last year in DC10 in ibiza. no lasers, no disco lights, no vip area, no boundaires, no ****e...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

contrary to your comment im well into dance music today (Soulful/Funky/Jazzy House primarily)you think old skool is ****e that's your prerogative (if you would've experienced it you wouldn't be saying that)i don't go to old skool nites in Dublin because they play the same tunes over and over again,so if people want to pay €20 into the vaults then fair play to them because i wouldn't,a crock of s*ite.

You listen to the above Soulful/Funky/Jazzy House and that's fair enough, but you keep frequenting the clubbing threads of DJ's that couldn't be further than that to say its over priced and ****e non stop.

Enjoy moaning :D, ill be clubbing this weekend in Manchester and Leeds and will pay a fraction of what you will pay,with much cheaper drinks, you can go out for a nite on €25,well fair play to you you mustn't drink much or just do a few yokes and not drink at all because going out on €25 is something else in this city,you'd be lucky to get 5 pints for that!!!

It just goes to show it is possible and i have a great time. Are you really telling me you wont be spending the 25 euro at least on drinks alone? Point is the only rip off is people wasting loads on drinking in clubs.

PS-For the record the flight cost me a tenner and i don't need accommodation i stay in my birds place.;)

And same to you.
    FLYNN-DOG wrote: »

I have no problem's with that i just don't like constant complaining of a scene people don't par take in. And it's because they don't like the tunes. which is fair enough of course but dont pretend it's anything else. Don't tell me XYZ is a thing of the past.
    + 1. Johnny gets way too hard a time. I dont like his taste in music but I do respect it. He is passionate about it and it means alot to him obviously so fair play. How boring would the world be if we all liked the same music.

Im passionate about a lot of form's of music too, i don't start threads about how **** i think certain music is. If everyone had the attitude of "oh well its all in the past" what kind of atmosphere would that create? Something like a morgue.

Just arrived in Leeds this morning,seen a few posters and Sebastian Ingrosso and Rob Tisseria on @ Kissdafunk on Friday nite (about a tenner in) and Mr C and a few others on Saturday nite (a tenner as well) and also the legendary Up Yer Ronson on @ Space, haven't even checked the listings in Manchester yet;)

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭brianc27

10 stirling for mr c, thats a rip off in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

brianc27 wrote: »
    10 stirling for mr c, thats a rip off in fairness

Gas man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

www.savethecannibals.com

Episode 11

Deadly Mr C Podcast from recent times.....

Hadnt heard him in years and downloaded it on good authority, even BrianyC might (half) like it.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Did I just walk in on a

BROWN NOSING EXHIBITION

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

my experiences of tripod have been actually pretty good, its not my favourite club around but like there is no real need to slate it just for what it is, if you dont like it why would you go there...

thing about is its really the only big club out there than can attract the revenue to pay for the big acts, sure it would have been a much better night if richie hawtin played in twisted pepper or wax or some smaller venue, but if you really like the music why does it really matter where it is? Drinks are priced the same almost everywhere these days, if you dont want to spend so much money on it bring in a hip flask or a cheeky naggin, there is no shame in it...

as for paying 25 euro to see one of the biggest acts in the genre, what the **** are you complaining about, if you were into any other genre of music youd be paying triple to see the top acts

Basement Jaxx sold out for Sunday nite in Leeds but i read that tickets only cost £19 which is for nothing, they put on an amazing show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Basement Jaxx sold out for Sunday nite in Leeds but i read that tickets only cost £19 which is for nothing, they put on an amazing show.
    hang on,giving out about ovepriced acts and then say 19 quid isnt a rip off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

how is 19 pound a rip off?

how is 19 pound a rip off?
    read the thread,he constantly (in other threads)is going on about how paying 20 quid to see an act is a rip off yet whenever its an event or dj he wants to see(and i suspect its an excuse to bring up leeds again) hes more than happy to call it value for money.
    i dont think its a rip off,just showing how hes contradicting himself

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I didn't see him quantify what was too much in the thread(which I read rolleyes), just others. I don't know what he wrote elsewhere. He is contradicting himself if that is true, I comments as it sounded like you though 19 was a rip off from what you wrote.

enjoy your night anyway whatever it is your paying a 25 into.said in a mocking tone i can ensure you

it is well known round here about his stance on the price of entry into a club.

I didn't see him quantify what was too much in the thread(which I read rolleyes), just others. I don't know what he wrote elsewhere. He is contradicting himself if that is true, I comments as it sounded like you though 19 was a rip off from what you wrote.
    In fairness though, if you were a regular on this forum you'd understand

Advertisement