Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compost accelerating

• 22-04-2009 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

I've got a compost bin and it is quite slow to break down. I've read that comfrey makes a good accelerator but in the absence of that is worm liquid (castings tea) any good? If so what dilution rate should be used and how often applied?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭wewantchilly

Yorky wrote: »
    I've got a compost bin and it is quite slow to break down. I've read that comfrey makes a good accelerator but in the absence of that is worm liquid (castings tea) any good? If so what dilution rate should be used and how often applied?

Thanks in advance.

If you want to accelerate your compost heap there are several things that can be done.
    1-decomposition works a lot faster in higher temperatures, so if possible, have the bin situated where it gets a lot of sun.
    2-adding water in hot weather, to stop the composting material from becoming too dry, and also making sure it doesnt get overly wet in rainy conditions.
    3-some people like to add a bit of manure to the heap as the extra nitrogen is used by the bacteria.
    4-moving the heap and turning it on a regualer basis promotes air movement as the bacteria will not perform well anerobically.simply give the heap a godd stir and flip with a fork every week or so.

hope this helps, it works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Kitsune9tails

I'd also suggest a good mix of greens and browns/nitrogen and carbon.
    Greens being grass cuttings and leaves, Brown being branches and shredded paper ect.
    And try and keep it layer'd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Take a slash onto the heap, or if you are more modest use a bottle and pour it on.
    It is one of the best accelerators for composting.

Advertisement