Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

trekking clothing

• 22-04-2009 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭

Hey,

As i'm going to South America this summer, i was just wondering for all you hardened trekkers what kind of clothing should i buy?... I will be doing Macchu Picchu so would like to be as comfortable doing it as possiblem, will also be doing a lot of other treks...
    Are combats the best solution when its not that warm?... does anyone know of any resonably priced stores where i can buy them?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Mercy

Combats are heavy, take up a lot of room in your backpack and don't dry easily. Your best bet would be something synthetic, waterproof and maybe with detachable bottoms for shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

Get pants that are waterproof and breathable. Hiking boots are a MUST! Get ones with GoreTex that are breathable. Get a thin fleece for a mid-layer and get a wind-proof and waterproof jacket for the outer-layer.

Oh, and start training!!! We're really new to trekking, but have done a couple now and it's a lot tougher than you think. I find going up ok, but coming down impossible! My girlfriend is the opposite. Start training in the gym or something to get fitness levels up, cos it does take it out of you.

We trekked the Blue Mountains in Jamaica and the guy with us had a hypothermic attack. Definitely get yourself a decent first aid kit and study up on what to do in case of sprain, injury, hypothermia etc...

Advertisement