Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

leaving house unfinished

• 22-04-2009 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Sinnerboy

I am just wondering if you want to make your house safe and watertight and then leave it for say 3 years would you be better off to just plaster the chimneys, then do the slating, put in the windows, plaster the external house and do the soffit fascia.

If you do this does it have any implication for m/e first fix? Is there anything else that I am forgetting?

Thanks.

Lightning

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Sinnerboy

I am just wondering if you want to make your house safe and watertight and then leave it for say 3 years would you be better off to just plaster the chimneys, then do the slating, put in the windows, plaster the external house and do the soffit fascia.

If you do this does it have any implication for m/e first fix? Is there anything else that I am forgetting?

Thanks.

Lightning

plaster the chimneys, then do the slating, and do the soffit fascia.

yes

plaster the external house - maybe . You will get a good price now which you may not in 3 years when hopefully the economy is in better shape

put in the windows, -

no - ply board up your windows - you will be forever replacing broken glass . and glazing technolgy may advance in 3 years- you may get better windows then

don't do any m+E 1st fix - no point ( may get nicked )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Lightning McQue

Sinnerboy

I am just wondering about the plastering maybe?

I presume that this means that if you don't put in the windows then you shouldn't plaster the house.

Am I correct in stating that assuming that the windows will not be vandalised then it is a good idea to put them in and plaster the house to make it watertight. The windows have an A rating and the price is very competitive.

The house is located in a rural area and young fellas wouldn't really be passing the house. You would have to really make an effort to vandalise it.

Thanks.

Lightning

I am just wondering about the plastering maybe?

I presume that this means that if you don't put in the windows then you shouldn't plaster the house.

Yes
    Am I correct in stating that assuming that the windows will not be vandalised then it is a good idea to put them in and plaster the house to make it watertight. The windows have an A rating and the price is very competitive.

The house is located in a rural area and young fellas wouldn't really be passing the house. You would have to really make an effort to vandalise it.

Thanks.

Lightning

Well you know your site best . But I would leave off plastering , 1st fix M+E and windows untill later . Better to leave the raw building well ventilated . The plaster will never proprely dry out and will hold moisture to your structural timbers

Sinnerboy

I dont fully understand the sentence about plastering not drying out and will hold moisture to your structural timbers.

I was thinking of only plastering the house on the outside, no internal plastering. So I presume that would be ok.

Lightning

I was referring to internal plastering - should be put off . But ok to do ext .

• Advertisement

Thanks Sinnerboy.

Advertisement