Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Budget

Options
  • 22-04-2009 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭

I've been following it here...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/blog/2009/apr/22/budget-2009-live-blog

They've made some good, and tough decisions so far, including cutting the top rate of tax relief for high earners, from 2011. Even took the decision to inact this right before an election...

Anyone else following this? Will they show our boys up at how to ease recession pressure?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I noticed
    "Borrowing will be £175bn this year, 12% of GDP."

People say here (perhaps with good cause) that there have not been enough cuts. Our neighbours are following a different path.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

2% xtra on alcohol, thats nothing. The hordes will continue to flock to the north to get their booze as well as regular groceries.

"Borrowing will be £175bn this year, 12% of GDP."

Is Britain going broke?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Orchard Rebel

In the budget analysis on RTE Radio a couple of weeks back, it was opined that one of the reasons VAT was not cut here was because the Department of Finance were betting on the British raising their rate from 15%.

Now that they haven't (and I'm sure plenty of us suspected that they wouldn't), Northern Ireland looks set for another bumper year. How does that help our economy?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

gurramok wrote: »
    Is Britain going broke?
    Well they could pay of any loans in GBP easily enough but it will be interesting to see to what interest rates those loans will come at as I suspect anything outside hard currency (EUR/USD) will have a healthy currency risk factor added.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

BBC Summary

Relevant for shopping in Newry at a glance:
    • Alcohol taxes to go up 2% from midnight - putting the price of the average pint up 1p

• Tax on tobacco to go up by 2% from 6pm - equivalent to an extra 7p on a pack of 20 cigarettes

• Fuel duty to rise by 2p per litre from September, then by 1p a litre above indexation each April for the next four years

• Advertisement
Advertisement