Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How likely is a reaction to red ink?

Options
  • 22-04-2009 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

Have decided i'd like a phoenix tattoo but while i was browsing the net for ideas and designs i came across some stuff about red ink reaction. the tattoo i want would big enough... covering a whole shoulder and would be all red and orange so am a bit worried if it's a good idea now :(

How likely is this and what exactly happens? is the tatttoo completely destroyed or is it fixable? :confused:

has anyone actually had this happen or is it just one of those one in a million chances?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

From what I have seen and read, I believe it is one of those one-in-a-million things alright. I don't know anyone personally that has had a reaction at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

You can ask the tattooist to do a spot check on ya, whether they will or not i dunno. but they basically just tattoo a teeny tiny dot where ever your planning to get it and leave it be for a while and see how ya react

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

You can also find out which type of ink they are using. The red ink reaction is generally caused by inks made from natural materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

thanks guys. had never even heard of it til i stumbled across it on google

that's a great idea about the spot check will... i had seen a suggestion of getting a small tattoo somewhere inconspicuous but didn't much fancy having a teeny meaningless red tattoo somewhere on my person :D

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭(F.L.) Anders

I've had a reaction to red ink, it was the first colour tat I got. I have since had 3 done more with red ink in them with no ill affects. Now I dunno if the first one was different ink or if my body became somewhat immune to the affects after the initial contact. The reaction itself wasnt very nice at the time but hey neither was getting my elbow inked;) It was just crazy itchy:mad: and it formed a huge horrible looking mutated scab which fell off to reveal little or no ink left under my skin.(not normal scabbing or itching trust me) I was horrified at the time but it turned out my skin was gone kinda crazy because low and behold after another week the red pigment started showing again... Weird I know. Anyway moral of the story(rant) it was an itchy pain at the time but now(5 years later) its grand and looks just as vibrant as my other red pieces. I hope this helps?
    Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭gagalina

not to put a downer on your red tattoo, my sister had a bad reaction to red. She got a red rose tattooed, and the red somehow reacted badly - all that she has left now is the green stem of the rose and a big/bumpy scar where the petals were...
    It took a good few months before the red turned "weird".

One in a million chance I'd say, but it put me off getting anything tattooed in red...

If you can go with a small "colour test" tattoo and wait a couple of months to see if anything happens??

Gagalina

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

thanks guys

i may need to think this one through a bit more then... oh well, i have my daughter and older son's tattoos to do first, this one was for my youngest boy so i can talk to the artists who do the other two and see what they think.... i might even be able to convince them to give me a spot test while they're tattooing the other pieces!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 footloose jen

PinkTulips wrote: »
    Have decided i'd like a phoenix tattoo but while i was browsing the net for ideas and designs i came across some stuff about red ink reaction. the tattoo i want would big enough... covering a whole shoulder and would be all red and orange so am a bit worried if it's a good idea now :(

How likely is this and what exactly happens? is the tatttoo completely destroyed or is it fixable? :confused:

has anyone actually had this happen or is it just one of those one in a million chances?

hi i was just browsing and i saw your post, ive got some tattoos and i can't get white ink because i have a bad reaction to it, it happened a few years ago i was having a small tattoo done and where all the white ink was just bubbled up and became very itchy and sore, so then a trip to the doc's was needed, then a while ago i was having some colour put into a tattoo and i forgot and asked for one of my stars to be a brighter shade and of course the white ink went in and very soon after the itching started and the ink just oozed back out of the tattoo, the white ink just wont stay in there:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I got a tattoo coloured in yesterday with mostly red ink, the artist is a friend of mine.

He told me that a lot of places use a "starbright" brand red ink , because it's the cheapest one, and apparently that's the kind that's more likely to cause a reaction.
    The kind he used on me is more expensive but according to him it looks better and is a lot less likely to cause a reaction, can't remember the name of it, but it does depend on the type of ink used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 footloose jen

yep someone told me it was the cheap inks too!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement