Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

graveyards

• 22-04-2009 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

hi all, does anyone know of any graveyards, in the dublin/kildare/wicklow areas that would be good for a photoshoot? i would like it to be really secluded, off the beaten tracks as i dont want other people passing by. ideally the graves would be fairly ancient and crumbly, maybe a few crosses too. a ruined church would be great too. but again the main point would be the seclusion, i want to do a fashion shoot and dont want people wearing modern clothes poking their heads in!

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

There's a beautiful old graveyard called The Rectory in Stepaside. If you went early in the morning or at sunset during the week you'd more than likely be up there by yourself.

A lot of the graves are in disrepair, the church itself is crumbling and there's a few crypts around too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sasar

St. Doloughs church on Malahide road just after Balgriffin:

715.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭uniqueusername

wow sasar thats an amazing photo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

You could try Feighcullen

Some shots from flickr here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Great shot, is that HDR?

Also, cemetary on NUI Maynooth South Campus is good for shots. Bring a tripod to get the walkway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sasar

Thanks uniqueusername!

efla wrote: »
    Great shot, is that HDR?

Elfa, I took this shot quite a long time ago, so don't remember the specifics of the post processing, but I believe it was HDR and also many many layers in PS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

efla wrote: »
    Great shot, is that HDR?

Also, cemetary on NUI Maynooth South Campus is good for shots. Bring a tripod to get the walkway!

When it was snowing earlier in the year I tried to get some nice shots in there but I had no tripod and the light was too low, too much camera shake :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,508 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There is an old cemetery beside Donnybook Garda Station, it covers a very large area, bigger than what is suggested by the amount of street frontage. I believe the Gardai in the station next door hold a key and will give it to you if you enquire at the public desk, you could spin a yarn that your great-great-grandfather is buried there and you want to look for his grave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

There's a small graveyard in Palmerstown that I took a few shots at last year. It's very run down.

2274598198_8a0e8a6bab.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

John wrote: »
    When it was snowing earlier in the year I tried to get some nice shots in there but I had no tripod and the light was too low, too much camera shake :(

Yes its never easy! I think cokin do a centre spot ND which would be great for the walkway. Its so tight also with the walls, my lenses are too narrow to do anything effective

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Oughterard church/graveyard out past Newcastle is pretty cool too. Arfur Guinness is buried there and it has a lovely old church ruin and round tower.
    Plus its always extremley quiet. Even at the weekends.

98CD2F46F11B493AB5AC3D0FF0A81C5A-800.jpg

@ monkeyfudge, do you have directions for that one in palmerstown?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I'll find out for you later. A 'ghost' was spotted in a photo taken out there so we went along to investigate.

My full photoset is on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/monkeyfudge/sets/72157603932549264/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Theres a few around where my parents live but thats in north tip. Really secluded places though

78ED15B6389C49838E86F643357E2872-500.jpg

Theres more on my Pix.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Go to Palmerstown Village, you need to turn off the N4 at the junction of Kennelsfort Road and head towns Main Street.

At the T junction (Palmerstown House Pub ahead) turn riight and then right again down Mill Lane.

GO right down this narrow lane and just before it swings sharply right there is a gate on the left. Park up and explore

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Palmerstown+Dublin&daddr=53.357764,-6.362672&hl=en&geocode=&mra=mi&mrsp=1&sz=16&dirflg=w&sll=53.357314,-6.363444&sspn=0.006224,0.019312&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

You could try Bully's Acre in RHK. The gate's locked but easy to pop over wall. Central and secluded.

On the Clontarf Road just past the light shop and Apache Pizza there's a cracking little one with a shell of a church and gothic winged angels. The beauty of this one is that it's open and empty and in the evening you can angle yourself to perfectly catch the sun setting earily behind and between the church and crosses.

I've to go back to finish a shoot in The Jewish cemetary in Fairview. It's pure goth and completely private. I could ask the lady that looks after it, Ms. Lauria, what the chances are of opening it up for a group.

For backdrop the German War cemetary in Glencree is impressive. Not much in the way of audacious crosses etc. but lovely rock background and 25 foot vantage points.

I've photo of all just not on disc but I'll see if I can rustle some up (except for Jewish one as I'm not allowed to show at moment).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Graveyard in Straffan, Co. Kildare sounds like exactly what you need. Ruined church, tower, old crumbling graves, privacy if you know where to go, and so on.

thanks guys youve all been really helpful, some great ideas there. im looking forward to checking them out!

Advertisement