Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 questions about my sealed central heating system

• 22-04-2009 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I just moved into a house built around 2002. I have been examining the central heating system and have come across two issues which I don't think are correct. Maybe someone could advise if these are real problems and what the solutions might be.

Query one: the horizontal pipe to the expansion vessel has a tee. The expansion vessel is connected vertically above the tee. Horizontal from the tee, a pipe continues to (via a bend turning vertical) to an air vent, above the height of the expansion vessel. The question is; will ari in the system enter the expansion vessel BEFORE it can reach the air vent, and will this cause problems?

Query two: the heating system is connected to the rising main via a pressure reducing valve (no other valves or gates). Is there not supposed to be some way of disconnecting the mains from the CH system? Initially, the pressure in the system was zero, so I opened the the valve a little to restore pressure to 1bar. Should I leave the valve open or close it?

Thanks for the help

Comments

Your first issue wouldn't concern me as the expansion vessel will still absorb the system pressure if there's air in it and the fact they fitted a vent is a good thing, your second issue of the auto filler would concern me as they tend to be fitted to hide leaks on a system and if you leave it open not only would you not know you have a leak but also your introducing fresh water in to the system which can generate more sludge, you should have a filling loop fitted which if need be can be removed separating your heating water from the mains, Gary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Never trust a system with an auto filling valve thank god somebody who agrees with me

Good one gary!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

I am hoping that the expansion vessel is supported correctly coz when they fail they fill with water and thus get very heavy ( 24 litres = 24kg), + 1 on the autofill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

joeclif wrote: »
    I am hoping that the expansion vessel is supported correctly coz when they fail they fill with water and thus get very heavy ( 24 litres = 24kg), + 1 on the autofill.

It should be ok. It generally does not fill. It has a diaphragm in it. If your really concerned get a plumber to look at it. The system sounds fine to me excluding the auto fill valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kejxyz

Thanks Gary71, i will put a gate before the fillervalve to isolate the systems.

• Advertisement
Advertisement