Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Things you would change about WWE

Options
  • 22-04-2009 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

I want you guys to take this somewhat serious for a sec....As a wrestling fan (mark or not) if there are 3 things you could change about WWE or see a point where WWE falls flat on its face or something that just drives you nuts about WWE or an individual ,Or just something you would change about WWE, What are they.

Here are mine:

1) Being called a member of the WWE Universe
    2) WWE goin PG
    3) Triple H (world champ again) give me a break and give the talent a break

If someone has mentioned something that does your nut in already, its okay to repeat it. By the end of this thread I just wanna see if there are some common denominators. Enjoy....:pac:

Please keep it to 3 points. If you agree with someone else's and have more than 3 points but them in as 4)5)6) Your first 3 are your Main Ones.
    I appreciate all the comments but Please Give Your 3 Points before judging everyone elses. Then the floor is yours to say what you like (within reason)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

1.End the brand separation of Raw and Smackdown.
    2.Let the wrestlers have different individual personalities.They all look the same and promo in the same style.
    3.I agree with getting rid of the PG rating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

1 - Less "big men" and look for good in ring action before storylines
    2 - Agreed on the "WWE Universe" thing
    3 - Less PPVs. They have overkilled them
    4 - End the Brand Extension. They do not have enough talent for 3 brands
    5 - Make the IC title worth soemthing again rather than an after thought
    6 - More tag teams. if trhey are unsure of how to book tags, look at ROH and how it did it in 2008
    7 - Get rid of Hornswaggle
    8 - Less revisionism

I could go on. I know you only asked for 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭pingu_girl

1. End the brand extension and get rid of a good percentage of the locker room. I know it wouldn't be good for business but as a fan it would be great entertainment. I think the talent they have now maybe actually the best they ever had but its just that there split between 3 different shows.

2.Have Jericho beat Orton and Cena on the same night to become the new undisputed champion and hold the belt for a good year or so.

3.Have more adult storylines.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

1. Get rid of this Divas crap (no I'm not gay) and utilise the wrestlers. There's at least 6 v.good female wrestlers on the roster.
    2. Merge both RAW and Smackdown (leave ECW as a development show) and thus give proper breaks to the wrestlers. A more refreshed wrestler = better matches, etc. I get tired of seeing the same faces and same storylines over and over.
    3. Get rid of PG rating.
    4. Make Santino WC ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Get rid of ECW and cancel Superstars. There's enough shows without them. There should be Raw and Smackdown with fairly strict enforcement of whichever brand they're meant to be on, with one or two non-brand-exclusive highlights/catchup shows a week.

Focus properly on the titles. Have the bigger (in size and notability) guys in the main title pictures and give the intercontinental/US titles a decent scene, with time dedicated to the feuds. Have a divas/women's title on one brand and the cruiserweight title on the other.

Have some decent tag team division, and work the Hardcore/Extreme wrestling, that people seem to want to see, into it.

Unfortunately none of the things above aren't going to happen anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

every time i see people say end the brand extension, I think it is total madness, they would have to either sack half their employees, admit those in mid card will be held up with too many main eventers on the roster and ensure TNA pick up some more talent when WWE stars get sick of no air time.

I would

1. End the PG'ness of the WWE
    2. Unify the divas & womens belt and the IC and US belt.
    3. Bring back either the Hardcore or/and Cruiserweight title to replace the above.

more than 3

4. Higher based more on ability than look, get in many top indy stars like Danielson etc instead of the likes of Knox etc
    5. Freshin up the title scene on both shows starting with SD with Jericho, CM Punk, Morrison, Jeff Hardy now going for the belt
    6. give more focus to tag team competition and really big up the unified champs going between brands taking on all challengers.
    7. give more freedom on the mic to stars that have proven themselves and not be so 100% scripted

and lots more stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

gimmick wrote: »
    1 - Less "big men" and look for good in ring action before storylines

although we would all like to see good in-ring action the fact remains as far as the tv viewer in america is concerned storylines > quality matches

in 1996 wwf were putting on some of the finest matches in their history, hbk, foley, taker, bret and owen were tearing down the house night after night, at the same time wrestling fans were switching over to a wrestling show where 3 forty year olds were spray painting the backs of 2 other forty year olds

every time i see people say end the brand extension, I think it is total madness, they would have to either sack half their employees, admit those in mid card will be held up with too many main eventers on the roster and ensure TNA pick up some more talent when WWE stars get sick of no air time.

Sacking half of the roster would be no loss tbh. Aftrerall, it is the same 6-8 people appearing on every PPV. Raw and SD pretty much revolve around one storyline each each week, so its not like people would be overlooked. Having one world title is plenty. It would also put a bit more competition into the division and make it more prestigous again.

Now, I am not stupid and realise that this is not going to happen for one reason, and one reason only - MONEY. 2 brands equals double the house shows and double the money.
    rossie1977 wrote: »
    in 1996 wwf were putting on some of the finest matches in their history, hbk, foley, taker, bret and owen were tearing down the house night after night, at the same time wrestling fans were switching over to a wrestling show where 3 forty year olds were spray painting the backs of 2 other forty year olds

Ah ya, I am fully aware of that. One can wish though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

gimmick wrote: »
    Sacking half of the roster would be no loss tbh. Aftrerall, it is the same 6-8 people appearing on every PPV. Raw and SD pretty much revolve around one storyline each each week, so its not like people would be overlooked. Having one world title is plenty. It would also put a bit more competition into the division and make it more prestigous again.

Now, I am not stupid and realise that this is not going to happen for one reason, and one reason only - MONEY. 2 brands equals double the house shows and double the money.

Ah ya, I am fully aware of that. One can wish though

Maybe but its that repitition that i later said id wanna also remove from the ME scene. Do you seriously think Jeff, MVP, Swagger, Morrison, CM Punk etc would ever get a Main event chance in a amalgimated roster where HHH, Cena, Orton, Batista, Big Show, Edge, HBK, Undertaker, Jericho and more would all be after just 1 belt!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

pingu_girl wrote: »
    2.Have Jericho beat Orton and Cena on the same night to become the new undisputed champion and hold the belt for a good year or so.

not going to happen, jericho is not a draw and has never been a draw, his title reigns have been a disaster as far as ratings go, during his last reign raw went as low as 2.6

personally i would drop both the intercontinental and us belt, during the golden years and attitude days there was two belts, the WHC is being booked like the intercontinental belt was back in the day anyway

i would level the playing field as far as the main event is concerned, during the attitude days all the main events guys could beat each other at any time clean which made it exciting, now we have one superman and in truth 6 upper mid-card guys who job clean to superman every few months

• Advertisement

Well Jerichio, Edge and Cena broke in there, no reason why others cannot.

I would not call Big Show a legit title contender ever. Even when he held the belt he was not held that seriously.

Batistas best days are behind him and will probabaly not get another title run.

HBK has not helld the title in 5 years, does not need it and probbably will hold be anywhere near it again.

Takers title holding days are probably numbered also. Which just really leaves HHH, who as we all suspect, aint going nowhere soon.

I think with 2 brands they are spreading their main eventers too thinly. With one brand you have have enthralling upper mid card matches with those who are not involved in the title scene at that moment in time.

As it is, we have the same main events PPV on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

1:Bring back some decent stables.
    2. GIVE ORTON THE BELT!!
    3. Put proper thought and development into storylines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭pingu_girl

not going to happen, jericho is not a draw and has never been a draw, his title reigns have been a disaster as far as ratings go, during his last reign raw went as low as 2.6

I know it wont, but I'd love it too, Isn't that the point of this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭TheIrishLegend

although we would all like to see good in-ring action the fact remains as far as the tv viewer in america is concerned storylines > quality matches

Thanks for all the comments Rosie but can we have your 3 points????:o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

That's pretty damn high considering some of Nash's low points in WWE in 1995, with In Your House 4 drawing a PPV buyrate of 0.4! :pac:

Yet they kept the belt on that guy for a year!

Anyway, here's 3 things I would change from WWE

1) Fire Stephanie McMahon from script writing, she has zero talent in that area, none!
    2) Hire Paul Heyman, but keep him the hell away from anything to do other than creative and a hand in script writing
    3) Hire Eric Bischoff but keep him the hell away from the chequebook. Give him creative on the opposite brand that Heyman would be on.

Why those 3?

Well the PG rating would got for a hop almost immediately. And given the legit contempt both guys have for each other in reality, if they were stuck on seperate shows, they'd never have to cross paths that often, more to the point, they're two guys that could spend forever trying to 1up each other, that you'd get the best from both guys on a week by week basis. That you're guaranteed pretty much a good show every week. :D

Thanks for all the comments Rosie but can we have your 3 points????:o

He didn't need to, gimmick nicked em all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Now I know this very unlikely to happen and certainly goes against the grain here but I would:

1) Strengthen the brand split. Wrestlers should only appear on their own brands, and on PPV fight wrestlers from their own brands. PPV's can be shared by brands, but only Wrestlemania, Survivor Series, and The Night of Champions can have fights containing members of any brand (and of course the Royal Rumble itself).

2. Strenghten title divisions. What I mean here is that every title should have at least three credible challengers ready (and more importantly willing) to challenge for it. When a champion loses his belt, he should not immediately forget about it, and move on to a feud.

3. Develop a tag division. Tag teams have helped many of the top stars in WWE develop into all round wrestlers. People like Edge, HBK, The Hardys, all benefitted from long periods in tag teams. Tag team wrestling gives young workers a chance to be on tv wrestling, without having to carry the whole match themselves.

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    He didn't need to, gimmick nicked em all!

I know, I know but even if you agree with someones points thats cool too. Just trying to find some common denominators. By the way Bishoff and Heyman.....they are both Gods in my book. I think Heyman in a commentry position on Raw would be clas sat the moment...Ive been thinking about that for a while....And bring Bishoff in on the creative side. He can take Stephanies job.

I know, I know but even if you agree with someones points thats cool too. Just trying to find some common denominators. By the way Bishoff and Heyman.....they are both Gods in my book. I think Heyman in a commentry position on Raw would be clas sat the moment...Ive been thinking about that for a while....And bring Bishoff in on the creative side. He can take Stephanies job.

I'd actually say bring in Heyman for Stephanie's job, especially on the Smackdown side, given his track record with that brand, also he doesn't have the pressures of live TV on him, because i honestly think that he cracks under that pressure, whereas he has some comeback on Smackdown.

Bischoff on the other hand, is well used to pressure of a live show with Nitro and subsequently RAW. Bischoff has made some bad decisions in his WCW days, but at the same time, so has Heyman, as long as both of them are away from the chequebooks and the running of the company. It can only be positive as far as I'm concerned.

Of course, neither will ever happen, but we can dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    That's pretty damn high considering some of Nash's low points in WWE in 1995, with In Your House 4 drawing a PPV buyrate of 0.4! :pac:

I feel I should defend Nash here .... and in his defence he was one of the biggest draws in WCW with the NWO. Helping turn that company into a loss maker nito a hugely profitable business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Give the casual fans reasons to care about the midcard guys, that means promo time. Kofi for example what is his character? Some guy from Jamaica who smiles a lot? Deep. What is CM Punks character? He is straight edge but......
    These guys simply don't have much character definition. You have to make the fans care.
    Take a chance on some new talent, this ties into my first point, HBK, Taker and Batista and maybe even Jeff will retire soon who is going to step up?
    Fire Beth and Santino:D:D
    Leave the big lugs of ECW, have it some sort of cruiserweight show, e.g let the likes of Bourne, Noble, Low Ki, Kendrick and Kidd tear it up on a regular basis.
    The veteran getting the win back? Its horrible and we all know who are guilty of it.
    Less PPV'S their is a recession and most of them scream filler at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMmCtTPL73o

Seen this the other Night on the 15th Aniverserry of Raw DVD. I couldnt help but think how far removed from this segment WWE has got. This is a piss take of Monday Night Football in the States. WWE (McMahon)played on the fact that it was edgy and out there. Dont think they would have the balls to do a segment like this now.:mad:
    In my opinion that clip is PG.....WWE is getting one step closer to TellyTubbies.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

1. Less ppvs- It should go Rumble, Wrestlemania, an early summer one, Summerslam in August, Unforgiven, Survivor Series, 15 ppvs is ridiculous and feuds are being thrown together for the sake of it

2.Bring Heyman back, like SR said in writing and creative only

3.Turn Cena heel, or at least a tweener role, Vince seems to forget the older fans loved him in 2005, listen to the pop he got at the Rumble that year, having him face may please the kids in a short term period but the 20 somethings who grew up watching it through the 80s, Attitude and current eras are turning off in droves

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

We've had these threads before so I'll just put the one I feel most strongly about.

Give everyone eight weeks consecutive paid leave per year. This will help keep wrestlers healthy, give them a much better family life and prevent burnout.

It is very easy for a pro wrestling organisation to write someone out of the show for eight weeks.

krudler wrote: »
    1. Less ppvs- It should go Rumble, Wrestlemania, an early summer one, Summerslam in August, Unforgiven, Survivor Series, 15 ppvs is ridiculous and feuds are being thrown together for the sake of it

2.Bring Heyman back, like SR said in writing and creative only

3.Turn Cena heel, or at least a tweener role, Vince seems to forget the older fans loved him in 2005, listen to the pop he got at the Rumble that year, having him face may please the kids in a short term period but the 20 somethings who grew up watching it through the 80s, Attitude and current eras are turning off in droves

TheIrishLegend agrees, agrees, agrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMmCtTPL73o

Seen this the other Night on the 15th Aniverserry of Raw DVD. I couldnt help but think how far removed from this segment WWE has got. This is a piss take of Monday Night Football in the States. WWE (McMahon)played on the fact that it was edgy and out there. Dont think they would have the balls to do a segment like this now.:mad:
    In my opinion that clip is PG.....WWE is getting one step closer to TellyTubbies.

First promo/backstage skit I've seen in ages that I enjoyed. :D

I'd tend to agree here. WCW had the right idea originally with 7 PPVs a year. Once a month worked when there was proper competition, but those days have been dead for 8 years now and there's no time or interest (from a creative standpoint so it seems) to develop new storylines or build new characters.

Oh crap... i feel an educational rant coming on... yep, here it comes!

The problem there is that since WWE became part of the NYSE and a publically traded company, people's money is on the line. Vince can't take gambles with other peoples money, so therefore 1 (sometimes two) PPV's a month is a guaranteed revenue generator, gate receipts, merchandise sales, PPV buys around the country.

Been that way for ten years now, WWE is a money hungry multimedia whore.
    Which is why you'll never see the attitude era again, because as much as Vince likes to think he's the boss, he lost that ultimate title the day he started trading on the stock exchange. The second the traders lose money, he ultimately answers to them. And that's what screwed Turner up. Turner essentially allowed Bischoff to use his stockholders money, and when AOL/Time Warner were called on it, Turner was up the creek, leaving easy picking for Vince.

Now if you think Vince is going to allow that to happen to him? Then i'm sorry, but you've got rocks in your head. :)

I've thought of more:

1. An off season(although it conflicts with the point SR raised about the shareholders), have the WWE year conclude at Wrestlemania, then break for a full month, no house shows, no tv shows, no nothing. It'll give talent a chance to recover, creative to come up with a few months of new angles, the fans a break from overexposure, 4 weeks of lost house show revenue and tv time versus the wellbeing of people running on empy and afraid to go out injured due to losing their spots is worth it, and come back with a massive 3 hour Raw with a proper draft to really shake things up.

2.A wrestlers union, Slaughter tried to start one back in the 80s and it was shot down, but think about it, the guys cleaning the arena after a show have better benefits than the wrestlers, as "independent contractors" rather than employees they enjoy none of the benefits that office workers get yet put their bodies on the line every night , pay for their own accomdation and flights a lot of the time unless you're a top tier star and get zero protection against losing their jobs for being injured or because short sighted creative team just doesnt have anything for them to do

I've thought of more:

1. An off season(although it conflicts with the point SR raised about the shareholders), have the WWE year conclude at Wrestlemania, then break for a full month, no house shows, no tv shows, no nothing.

It doesn't have to conflict though, that's the thing. Talent shuffle would work better.

Basically say from unforgiven to Wrestlemania, focus on the bigger talent, working on the storylines, the big money drawing guys. Then when Wrestlemania goes off, give those guys the break and focus on developing younger inexperienced talent from Backlash to Summerslam with the occasional appearance from the experienced money drawing guys for storyline purposes.

That way WWE is still pumping the money for the shareholders, the fans are getting something new each year, and the talent gets a break now and again.

To me that's a win/win/win situation bigger than any slot machine!
    But meh, what do I know?

Regarding the Union, from what i've read, it was actually Ventura who wanted the union, and brought the idea to Hogan to take to Vince, but Hogan ratted him out completely hence their utter contempt for each other.

• Advertisement

Ah ok, thought it was Slaughter, or maybe Slaughter asked for something to do with benefits, afaik he talks about it on the McMahon dvd, was along the same lines. No wonder Ventura was always anti-Hogan in his commentary and not just because he was meant to be pro-heel

Advertisement