Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Things you would change about WWE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

krudler wrote: »
    Ah ok, thought it was Slaughter, or maybe Slaughter asked for something to do with benefits, afaik he talks about it on the McMahon dvd, was along the same lines. No wonder Ventura was always anti-Hogan in his commentary and not just because he was meant to be pro-heel

Slaughter wasn't to do with either. It was down to event payoffs. Slaughter felt he was worth more money than what he was getting and complained about it in the mid 80s, around 83, 84, Vince subsequently told him not to bother turning up for television the following week, sending him back to the AWA (while at the same time, nicking Hogan back from the AWA just to stick it to both him, and Verne Gagne).

Don't know if this part is particularly true either, but Ventura supposedly was supposed to have gone to Vince directly about the union idea again in August 1990, but it didn't go ahead and there was a major fallout between Vince and Jesse, which resulted in Jesse leaving immediately leaving Vince to draft in an injured Piper to the commentary box to do Summerslam that year. That could have been down to a royalties issue too, but i do remember reading something about this in some rag around 92-93.

Edit: I'm wrong there, that was over The Running Man video game that came out on the Sega Mastersystem which featured an image of Ventura, while Vince had a long standing contract with Nintendo, their main rival.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Its a pity that managers dont get used that much these days their is loads of midcard guys who could benefit from one. Valets were also hugely underrated just ask Edge;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

With 4 fresh wrestling shows each week, I'd love it if they dedicated their 2 1 hour shows (ECW and Superstars) to specific types of wrestling like cruiser weights or even tag teams.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Off the top of my head

1. Give all wrestlers a good contract that gives them a good wage and guaranteed/mandatory time off. This would aid the product as we would not have over kill of chrachters and give them a chance to heal from injuries.
    2. Shorten Raw and Smackdown to 90 minute tv shows.
    3. Give wrestlers an oppertunity to develop their own look and style that sets them apart making them individuals

4. Give all development guys support to wrestle abroad and learn their trade properly

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Off the top of my head
    2. Shorten Raw and Smackdown to 90 minute tv shows.

They already are, in fact they're less. The total running times usually run at 1hrs and 27 minutes although sometimes RAW runs over because it's live.

Ads have to be taken into consideration there. If they shorten it down, you only get 1 hours worth of action, then people will complain that it's not long enough.

• Advertisement

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    They already are, in fact they're less. The total running times usually run at 1hrs and 27 minutes although sometimes RAW runs over because it's live.

Ads have to be taken into consideration there. If they shorten it down, you only get 1 hours worth of action, then people will complain that it's not long enough.

I'm including ads, they have four shows now and if they all have similar run times with the flagship shows running a little longer you get to give as better product. You won't need filler material like kiss kams and 8 diva tag matches for the sake of them.

The biggest problem wwe have is getting everyone on tv, they now have four shows but because they have two extra long shows they have guys appearing multiple times. If they used the time right everyone gets to be on tv in the way that promoted their abilities inside the four shows, without over working anyone in particular.

Cactus Col wrote: »
    I feel I should defend Nash here .... and in his defence he was one of the biggest draws in WCW with the NWO. Helping turn that company into a loss maker nito a hugely profitable business.

Hold on, you're putting that on Nash? WCW were already making their profits before Nash and Hall had even been signed. If Nash's involvement was with that, it was minimal.

Nash also played a part in killing their Monday ratings by partaking in that stupid "fingerpoke of doom" title match against Hogan, which in turn, made a lot of people switch over to USA Network for RAW, and never went back!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭TheIrishLegend

Just reading back over the thread .do you guys think WWE are a bit in overkill mode with too much tv programs?

Just reading back over the thread .do you guys think WWE are a bit in overkill mode with too much tv programs?

Two was too many. They only brought in Smackdown in 1999 to compete with Thunder. It's the story of WWE's life, keeping up with their Jones'. They murdered the PPV scene to keep up with Bischoff, and then threw in another two more just to rub salt in the wounds.

They reintroduced Saturday Nights Main Event back in 2006, despite the fact every match on RAW and SD is a main event anyway defeating the purpose.

Yep. WWE has been on overkill for quite some time, although cable TV has a lot to do with that too, those who get My Network TV don't always get USA network, and vice versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Hold on, you're putting that on Nash? WCW were already making their profits before Nash and Hall had even been signed. If Nash's involvement was with that, it was minimal.

Nash also played a part in killing their Monday ratings by partaking in that stupid "fingerpoke of doom" title match against Hogan, which in turn, made a lot of people switch over to USA Network for RAW, and never went back!

Not completely on Nash, but absolutely him and the NWO had a huge part in it.

The Fingerpoke of doom .... is indefensible.

• Advertisement

Cactus Col wrote: »
    Not completely on Nash, but absolutely him and the NWO had a huge part in it.

It'd say Hogans involvement with the NWO would have been more influential than Nash's involvement. And even after that, the NWO got stale after a year anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 TheLastBaron

Fingerpoke of Doom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Two was too many. They only brought in Smackdown in 1999 to compete with Thunder. It's the story of WWE's life, keeping up with their Jones'. They murdered the PPV scene to keep up with Bischoff, and then threw in another two more just to rub salt in the wounds.

They reintroduced Saturday Nights Main Event back in 2006, despite the fact every match on RAW and SD is a main event anyway defeating the purpose.

Yep. WWE has been on overkill for quite some time, although cable TV has a lot to do with that too, those who get My Network TV don't always get USA network, and vice versa.

I'd be surprised if it gets better before it gets worse. It's cheap enough for them to tape a few matches that are already on in house matches and selling them in a shin package.

If TNA started providing some decent competition then they might cut it down and focus on quality with not many more shows than TNA have.
    Other than that they're just gonna keep printing as much money as they can without worrying about quality.

amacachi wrote: »
    If TNA started providing some decent competition then they might cut it down and focus on quality with not many more shows than TNA have.
    Other than that they're just gonna keep printing as much money as they can without worrying about quality.

Unfortunately, TNA will never be on the same level as WWE. Vince won't allow it for a start, and secondly the boneheaded booking of Russo & Mantel are driving more people away from the product than they are attracting people to it.

Unfortunately, TNA will never be on the same level as WWE. Vince won't allow it for a start, and secondly the boneheaded booking of Russo & Mantel are driving more people away from the product than they are attracting people to it.

I should've made the "if" this size I think. :P

I should've made the "if" this size I think. :P

Ah :P yerself, i was merely hammering the point across!
    Too far?

Ah :P yerself, i was merely hammering the point across!

Nah it's grand, as long it was to others and not me. :P

I edumacate you all but only cos i loves you all really! ;)

I edumacate you all but only cos i loves you all really! ;)

Going to use this forum as an example of your love of educating when ya go for a job after you qualify? :P

Going to use this forum as an example of your love of educating when ya go for a job after you qualify? :P

You mad? I'd like to get the job, thanks! ;)
    Aaanyway, back on topic. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭deanodrummer

Ok back on topic. This kinda thing has been bothering me for a while now with the basic laziness of WWE.

So.. 3 things:

1. End the brand extension/cut down on useless wrestlers. Let's be honest, there's too much WWE on TV at the mo and it's stale. Probably never happen but that's the point of the topic i suppose. 2 shows per week would be better.

2. Enhance character development. I don't watch as much as I used to, in fact I would say I'm a casual fan and I would just glance at it on TV. Most of this is down to the lack of real characters. I just don't personally care for the wrestler's. Everyone looks the same, wrestles similarly and cuts the same promos. Man, promos these days are so bland. Why do they need writers to just churn out crap week in, week out. Differentiate please.

3. Make titles mean something again. Drop the US title. Merge the World Titles. Give them prestige again. How can there be 2 World Champions? Doesn't make sense. While we're at it merge the Divas/Women's title. Overkill on titles I mean how can a title match mean something when there are 6 titles on the line in one show? Remember the days of IC/WWF Heavyweight/Tag Team Titles? Those were the days.

I could go on..

4. Build the tag team division. Nuf sed.

5. Make us care for the characters again. My biggest problem tbh.

6. Fire the ''writers''. Read Jim Cornette's new column on his new site. he goes into detail about how wrestling doesn't need these writers who know nothing about how wrestling works.http://www.jimcornette.com/Commentary.html Wrestling is a dirty word to Vince apparently. People wana see good wrestling with good characters. Simple formula. ''I hate you, you hate me, let's fight.''

7. Build feuds pver a longer period of time and cut the number of ppvs down. Would make the feuds and the overall product fresher by the time the ppv comes round and the feuds are established.

Hope I didn't rant too much. I can see that most of the posters here have pretty similar views about the state of WWE at the moment. :D

6. Fire the ''writers''. Read Jim Cornette's new column on his new site. he goes into detail about how wrestling doesn't need these writers who know nothing about how wrestling works.http://www.jimcornette.com/Commentary.html Wrestling is a dirty word to Vince apparently. People wana see good wrestling with good characters. Simple formula. ''I hate you, you hate me, let's fight.''

You make some good points

re 6, I would like to point out cornette said hell would freeze over before he was on the net. He only set up the sight to sell his new book........ oh and he works for tna, he hardly going to say vince is god and i wish santino was in tna.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    You make some good points

re 6, I would like to point out cornette said hell would freeze over before he was on the net. He only set up the sight to sell his new book........ oh and he works for tna, he hardly going to say vince is god and i wish santino was in tna.

Agreed man. He sold out like th rest of us. :D I think he goes a bit overboard on roasting WWE when TNA can be much, much worse but I just wanted to emphasise his take on bookers/writers which is fairly spot on.

Ok back on topic. This kinda thing has been bothering me for a while now with the basic laziness of WWE.

So.. 3 things:

1. End the brand extension/cut down on useless wrestlers. Let's be honest, there's too much WWE on TV at the mo and it's stale. Probably never happen but that's the point of the topic i suppose. 2 shows per week would be better.

2. Enhance character development. I don't watch as much as I used to, in fact I would say I'm a casual fan and I would just glance at it on TV. Most of this is down to the lack of real characters. I just don't personally care for the wrestler's. Everyone looks the same, wrestles similarly and cuts the same promos. Man, promos these days are so bland. Why do they need writers to just churn out crap week in, week out. Differentiate please.

3. Make titles mean something again. Drop the US title. Merge the World Titles. Give them prestige again. How can there be 2 World Champions? Doesn't make sense. While we're at it merge the Divas/Women's title. Overkill on titles I mean how can a title match mean something when there are 6 titles on the line in one show? Remember the days of IC/WWF Heavyweight/Tag Team Titles? Those were the days.

I could go on..

4. Build the tag team division. Nuf sed.

5. Make us care for the characters again. My biggest problem tbh.

7. Build feuds pver a longer period of time and cut the number of ppvs down. Would make the feuds and the overall product fresher by the time the ppv comes round and the feuds are established.

Hope I didn't rant too much. I can see that most of the posters here have pretty similar views about the state of WWE at the moment. :D

Good Points Deano! Thanxs . I agree with most of that ....Especially keeping focus on the title's. Sometimes they waste so much time looking for pointless storyline idea's when all they have to do is let the titles mean something and build title match's, with the odd grudge match thrown in.Its a simple formula. When you analyze it like this the whole thing looks quiet a mess. Its a big Blur of Wrestlers ,Promo's, Commercials.I mean at the moment, there is no storyline which runs past next week!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

Fingerpoke of Doom?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fingerpoke_of_doom

..as for my 3 things (most have been said already)..
    1- Enforce the brand split
    2- Make the US and IC titles more like the X-Division title in TNA
    3-Reduce the amount of PPVs

Good Points Deano! Thanxs . I agree with most of that ....Especially keeping focus on the title's. Sometimes they waste so much time looking for pointless storyline idea's when all they have to do is let the titles mean something and build title match's, with the odd grudge match thrown in.Its a simple formula. When you analyze it like this the whole thing looks quiet a mess. Its a big Blur of Wrestlers ,Promo's, Commercials.I mean at the moment, there is no storyline which runs past next week!!!!

True that my friend. The thing about wrestling is that it's the most unique thing on tv imho with the mix of sports, storylines etc.. But they'e losing that now with the whole Raw being the ''longest running weekly episodic tv show'' thing. It's a wrestling show first and foremost. I haven't watched regularly but most Raws I've seen the past few years look the same and have the exact same format. Ring promo, ads, short match, backstage skit, scripted all the live long day. Doesn't excite me anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭currythis

1.Get rid of hhh,cena,****ista,big show,kane,kozlov and shane mcmahon(never gonna happen i know!),aswell as cole and lawler and grisham
    elevate the likes of punk,matt hardy,mvp,ted di biase,miz,morrison,christian and umaga.
    dont call wrestlers up from developmental when they clearly are not finished developing

2.Get bischoff,cornette and heyman involved in the creative process.

3.Have at least one solid wrestling match that gives me a reason to watch the next show each week

4.Dont bother having womens wrestling until the women can actually wrestle.
    only a handful on the roster now can actually wrestle,if eye candy is needed bring back something similar to the nitro girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Have Jericho beat HHH and Cena on the same night to become the new undisputed champion and hold the belt for a good year

Thats all i want

currythis wrote: »
    1.Get rid of hhh,cena,and ****ista.
    Dare you not say his name???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 EireGunner

Everyone is making great points to make wrestlig and I have to agree with most of them it's just a pity that it's all about making more money and not about making a better company, there are too many wrestlers that crave to be hold a belt so I csn't see the world title's being united even though they should. The best point made was that there is too much wrestling on tv now and the charatcers are very similar.

Hope there is change

Advertisement