Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most 'natural' places in the world to see wildlife

• 22-04-2009 2:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Hope someone can help me here.

I'm trying to choose a wildlife trip where the there has been no deliberate interference with the animal distribution. My main interest is big cats (cheetah or tiger would be nice). I've been to Romania in search of the Eurasian Lynx and all I saw was footprints. So, although the cheetahs in Iran (for example) might be the kind of situation I'm looking for, it is important that I actually see some animals.

So, does anyone have a list of National Parks where they don't do things like restock the deer to feed the carnivores etc? Or even just one specific safari or tour where this is the case?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Some of the national parks in India are amazing, with tiger, elephant etc in them.

Been to two and was blown away by the beauty of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Seeing tigers in Bandhavgarh/Kanha, India and cheetahs in Etosha, Namibia are currently at the top of my list after a few hours of research. Did you do your trips as part of a package holiday or did you just turn up Kess? Would be very interested to find out the logistics and costs involved in doing something like that somewhat independantly in India...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

The Galapagos. You can see nature evolving from island to island.

You need lots of €€€€ and maybe some ££££ and then some $$$$$ though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

I know folks who have visited Galapagos while part of backpacking South America & said it was amazing experience. Turned up on spec. Out of main season (whenever that is). Spoke Spanish. Haggled a deal onto a sail boat. Could be good pointers the Rough Guides/ Hitchikers/Lonely Planet Guides etc.

Ok, The Galapagos are very much unspoilt, but come on, I said my main interest was big cats! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Heee Heee - lost the run of myself there :D

I haven't got a clue.

BTW, reminds me of Christian the Lion...big cat raised in London in 60's or 70's. In case you haven't seen the vid...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNTdWbVBgc

(or try the other Christian the Lion vids - don't know which is the best).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

cfitz wrote: »
    Seeing tigers in Bandhavgarh/Kanha, India and cheetahs in Etosha, Namibia are currently at the top of my list after a few hours of research. Did you do your trips as part of a package holiday or did you just turn up Kess? Would be very interested to find out the logistics and costs involved in doing something like that somewhat independantly in India...

No it was not part of a package deal, it was a very loose plan that took in China, Nepal, and India over six months. Basically a long trek with a bag on my back. Four of us went and we had the trip of a lifetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

Corbett national park in India is amazing we went during mating season tho and time in the park is limited during this period. Friends of mine over there run tours into the park

TheDrog wrote: »
    Corbett national park in India is amazing we went during mating season tho and time in the park is limited during this period. Friends of mine over there run tours into the park

Cool, I'll have a quick Google for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheDrog

if you want details of the my friends company pm me. I met them doing the tour into corbett, at the moment they're seeing tigers on almost every trip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭leopardus

Hi,
    I was attached with the Kenyan Wildlife Service for a summer in 2005 and for what it's worth;
    For Savanna species such as cheetah and lion some of the big National parks in Kenya/ Tanzania are probably your best bet; ie Massai Mara, Serengeti National Park. These can be pretty busy and congested at peak times, but they're popular for a very good reason; the wildebeest migration is a pretty impressive spectacle. I was lucky enough to see a lion kill, and the ensuing drama in Massai Mara. Samburu (Kenya) is a much quieter park and their is good chance of seeing them, particularly cheetah in a quieter setting.
    Leopard can be seen in all the National parks in Kenya, very widely distributed, but they're very elusive. They run evening drives in the Aberdare National Park (forested park in Kenya) that have a really good success rates at spotting leopards, they run from the two lodges within the park, 'treetops' and 'the ark'. If your lucky you might catch a glimpse of one from the lodges too. Had a few incredible sightings of leopard in the aberdares, very special place. Great places to see elephant and black rhino too. One of the only parks where your allowed get out of your car and walk about (in the upland part of the park, above the bamboo zone).

None of the National parks in kenya would 're-stock' prey species (with the posiibel exception of Nairobi National Park).

I'm confined to travelling between October and December. I've read that the Serengeti is better than Massai Mara in those months because of the migration patterns - is this correct? The entry fee to the park seems very high though. I'm also considering (as an alternative to the Serengeti) travelling to Namibia and visiting Etosha or Kgalagadi - do you know anything about those parks?

Advertisement