Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clive Everton

• 22-04-2009 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

In 2009, it was announced that Clive Everton would effectively lose his position as the BBC's primary snooker commentator. He did not commentate at the 2009 Masters Tournament and will only commentate on the World Championships until the quarter final stages. This has variously been attributed to his criticism of the game's Governing body, his age and old-fashioned style,[1] and his lack of fame relative to the many former players in the BBC's commentary roster.[2] Everton himself commented "I'm hurt and angry, because I find the reasons presented to me incomprehensible".[1]

I find this amazing. It sickens me to see Thorne/Virgo/Taylor etc getting all the action. Only Terry Griffiths I rate. These guys are not fit to lace up Clive's shoes.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Remember also that Griffiths is also in the BBC's second string group of commentators, he will only be covering up to the quarters (As has been the case since Terry joined the Beeb team).

Clive is the best, only comparable only with the like of Ted Lowe, Jack Karnhem and the like. True Pro's.

Many possible reasons for his demotion have been discussed, eg. his age (Not a problem), being out-of-touch with snooker (Rediculous, he is the editor of SnookerScene mag and always has interesting info on the current snooker world) among many other Ludicrous reasons.

Another thing that annoys me is that he is being repaced for the semi's and final by Ken Doherty. No disrespect to him but he leaves a lot to be desired in the commentary box/studio.

The other commentators aren't without their own flaws either:

Virgo - Never shuts up, says the same lines again and again and again and again..... (you get the picture).

Taylor - Silly jokes at odd times, but sometimes has useful info and he's great with the telestrator.

Thorne - The way he goes on in that box you'd swear he never missed a ball in a life, but I can't see his name on any trophys (well one small one about 25 years ago) and only ever made a couple of quarters in the WC. :rolleyes: Also he goes on about these hundreds of 147's he's had. He's only every made one in tournament play and it wasn't even televised.

They don't even come near Clive. However if anyone were to take over his role I would like it to be Phil Yates.

That's my two cents....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 rafa no 1

Well done celtic, for once i totally agree with everything you have said, clive everton is without question the best there is at the moment,it's a disgrace what the bbc are doing to him, but to be honest i can't understand why, he has done nothing but speak well of the bbc both in his last book and publicly, it has to boil down to pressure from world snooker chiefs,they took him to court and lost so obviously this is their way of payback.

Personally i regard taylor as probably the best at the moment, ok he does get carried away sometimes with his jokes and of course the odd mention of his 1985 win but all in his commentry is first class, the rest of the commentators are there because they are a bunch of yes men and won't do or say anything to rock the both, on the other hand we should count ourselves lucky, i take it you have heard the boys over on eurosport, dreadful stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

I agree as well, I always though Clive was a legend and was very surprised to hear he has been demoted. I think someone should start a campaign against the decision. Yea, its hard to listen to Ken in the commentry box.
    I see they have brought Neil Foulds on board this year, I think he was with Eurosport

rafa no 1 wrote: »
    Well done celtic, for once i totally agree with everything you have said

:eek: Will wonders ever cease!! :)
    Glenman wrote: »
    I see they have brought Neil Foulds on board this year, I think he was with Eurosport

Yeah, Neal's been with them for the past 3-4 years (About the same tine Terry joined) working on the UK Ch'ship and Worlds. I could listen to him anyday, no bull**** and very knowledgeable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

I've always liked Clive, this is a real shame. I'm surprised he'd agree to commentate in the WC at all though after this treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Yeah Clive comes across as a bit dry and proper but no doubt he's mr. snooker through and through. Stupid not giving him the final as lead commentator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 rafa no 1

Heard a rumour from a mate well informed in the game regarding Clive Everton. Apparently all the commentators do hospitality work at the crucible for the WSA and the BBC, along with this they are also committed to playing an exhibition frame at the venue if sessions finish early on both tables or in the case of the one table situation for the semi's and final. Now we all know that Clive Everton is a great commentator and historian of the game along with that he was a snooker professional and english billiards champion, so if anyone can do hospitality it is Everton.

However because of his stinging attacks on the governing body over recent years some of which have become legal affairs, he has been repremanded by both the BBC and WSA, it's a really disgraceful situation, could you imagine Davis or Parrott syaing something against the WSA? do you think they would be dropped? i would'nt think so.

In the WSA's eyes it's all about faces and being recognised,and Clive Everton does not fit the bill, i am sure at least 8/10 people who watch snooker would not even recognise Everton if they were standing right next to him!! But they would certainly recognise any of the other commentators,how about Virgo? people only remember him from the tv show 'Big Break' certainly not from his glorious snooker career.

So while we have Everton up until the quater finals lets enjoy his commentary and knowledge of the game, i for one will.

Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

Its all a bit sad really - and petty as well.

Ok Ken is Irish etc but I would have him on in the early rounds only. Neal Foulds and Phil Yates and Griffiths are good.

Willie Thorne is an annoying prat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Wow I never heard this. Clive and Dennis are the numero uno commentary team and have been for years on end. I do think he's a *tiny* bit high brow but that's a very small criticism. I dunno how anyone could have a bad word to say about Taylor. He absolutey loves snooker to this day and it comes across every time he commentates.
    Thorne and Virgo are no good but you just learn to accept them.
    Yates and Foulds are good but it has to be Dennis and Clive for the final session of the final :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭allybhoy

It certainly is, his voice reminds me of David Attenborough, articulate and softly spoken yet just commands respect. He also doesnt feel the need to rattle on endlessly and over analyse things like Thorne or Foals does, he lets the drama unfold in front of you whilst throwing in the odd insightful comment. The BBC should hang there head in shame over this, I wonder will he get a gig with Eurosport now? God knows they could use him!

Advertisement