Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C & C please

• 22-04-2009 3:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

3465634252_244c2fde76.jpgEXIF Data:
    Focal Length: 50.0mm, Exp time: 1/15, Aperature: f/5.6, ISO 100, White bal Cloudy, Exp: Shutter Priority

3465634244_c241b75651.jpg
    Focal Length: 60.0mm, Exp time: 1/15, Aperature: f/5.6, Iso 100, white bal: cloudy, Exp: Shutter Priority

3465634242_196121d73f.jpg
    Focal length: 70.0mm, Exp time: 1/15, Aperature: f/9.0, Iso 100, White Bal Cloudy and Exp: Shutter Priority.

Experimenting with shutter speed, I love the vibrancy but need to know if this is right...

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Are there no faults or does no one like them??

You can tell me - Im not easily offended:D:D

Mind you, I learned alot here yesterday which should help me improve alot of my outside shots.....:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

They look pretty good to me, nicely exposed and composed.

It will help, if you're looking for specific advice on something technical like shutter speed what shutter speed you have used with these shots and what look you were aiming for. Or at least link the images to a site like pixie or flickr where we can see the EXIF data.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Yep, exif data would be nice. Really like the pics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

My view -

Love all three. Great focus and colour. Nice DOF.

If they were mine -

1st image - crop tighter, to make it landscape, with more emphasis on the butterfly and colourful flower. This would obviously depend on the quality in the image itself.

2nd image - looks great, nothing to do.

3rd image - I find the dark background a bit distracting (only a bit). Maybe crop down to just the butterfly on the bright leaf?

But, they're lovely images as they are. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Like these.

(1) to me is the best - lovely contrast and nice colour saturation.

(2) is great too - is there a bit of motion blur on the far wing? Still very nice.

(3) I think is the weakest composition of the three in so far as the subject is a little lost in the overall image. With it being so colourful and what looks like some fine detail in there - perhaps a tight crop would work for you better.

nice though overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Great images, colour vibrancy is beautiful :)

Probably just re-iterating what others have said but

1) Lovely image, would defo crop to landscape focuising on the flower and butterfly as suggested by PaulW

2) Good image, great composition - but I find the blur on the left wing(s) distracting. Was this due to focus or was the wing moving?

3) Needs a good cropping. Maybe leave some curvature of the main leaf in there, but remove the majority of the background

super, super, super - delighted with comments etc.

Have learned a couple of new words here too:D:o

Ok, will include EXIF data (one of the words I had to look up:o)

Agree about the blurr on the wing, I imagine it was the focus. My settings wern't correct, (not wanting to blame the kids, but couldn't concentrate on taking pics that day):(

I have one prob which someone might explain or help me with -
    When I load my photos they go onto picassa, but ive processed some and it doesn't keep original any more. Would I be wise to store them on a memory stick before I do processing? Ive noticed it automatically changes the pics in 'my images' on my computer as well so I've no fallback if I don't agree.

Before Picassa, I used Image Data Converter for RAW files, and always had my original if I processed....now I don't know which is easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Do you not have photoshop or something similar?

I ALWAYS keep the originals in a folder, and when finished PP/retouch, save it down as a different file name.

You should really get a layer based piece of software to do your photo work in, as you can non-destructively edit - which is one of the biggest benefits IMO.

Even if you save the file over and over, you can still have the original on its own layer, so its never gone.

If you are indeed using something like picassa which seems to be overwriting your originals, you could simply copy all of your originals, and use the copy in picassa - that way even if it overwrites, you still have the original there.

Do you not have photoshop or something similar?

I ALWAYS keep the originals in a folder, and when finished PP/retouch, save it down as a different file name.

You should really get a layer based piece of software to do your photo work in, as you can non-destructively edit - which is one of the biggest benefits IMO.

Even if you save the file over and over, you can still have the original on its own layer, so its never gone.

If you are indeed using something like picassa which seems to be overwriting your originals, you could simply copy all of your originals, and use the copy in picassa - that way even if it overwrites, you still have the original there.

Thats interesting, so I should be able to copy within Picassa? ie Have 2 sets one original and 2nd being for processing?? If that works then im sorted as I was considering a different programme.
    Thanks btw!!:D

Advertisement