Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eFlow - quick question

• 22-04-2009 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭

I had a (legitimate) fine to pay with eFlow, but when paying it I was informed that there are outstanding fines dating back to September. I informed them that I didn't buy the car til October and that the previous owner was the garage I bought it from (it was an ex demo). I assumed that would be that.

But no. They claim that it's my responsibility to get onto the previous owner and get them to settle the fine.

That's not the case, right? I'm assuming it's just some customer service kid talking nonsense, but has anyone else had a similar experience? Surely they don't expect the current owner to go chasing payment from the last owner? What if I had bought it privately?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Can you prove when you bought the car? If so then I would send them this.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

Can you prove when you bought the car? If so then I would send them this.

Pretty sure my name wasn't on the log book til November - the garage took ages in getting the forms to me. I have a receipt for the purchase of the car too. Their point was though that it's still my responsibility as I own the car now - i.e. the fine belongs to the car, not to the person who was driving it. Sounds absurd to me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

spav wrote: »
    Pretty sure my name wasn't on the log book til November - the garage took ages in getting the forms to me. I have a receipt for the purchase of the car too. Their point was though that it's still my responsibility as I own the car now - i.e. the fine belongs to the car, not to the person who was driving it. Sounds absurd to me.

And it is, thats like Vodafone/o2/eircom etc, saying that the previous owner of the number owes €500 for a large bill and they new owner of the number has to pay it!

Thanks for that - just needed confirmation that I wasn't going mad. I'll continue to fight the good fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,909 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You're not liable for any liabilities of the previous owner (exception being uncleared secured finance...). Its some customer service agent, likely not even in this country, spouting off. Tell them to use their access to the NVDF to find out who owned it before you and if they continue to harrass you for the fines, you'll go after them for harrasment.

Anyway, make sure they're not my charges; I've the same car as you and I've only been charged once since October for about 30 crossings :D And I have a tag!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Dante

eFlow like to scam people so beware....Don't give up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Ask them for the previous owner's name and address and you'll do it - if they tell you, they are breaking the law, if they don't, then how could you follow it up.
    they havn't a leg to stand on, if they contact you about it would be harrasment if you felt you were being harrassed. ignore the muppets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Something similar happened to me with Vodafone. They kept sending bills for my neighbour to my address. He moved away and I guess he must not have paid his bill, as letters were coming at a rate of 3 or 4 per week.. They insisted I(yes, ME) should call the Gardai to report apparent fraud for providiing a false address.

I told them I'd be calling th Gardai alright, to report them for sending nuisance mail.
    End of letters. It took me to demand details of someone in Vodafone that I could make a complaint against.
    Moral: if they try to bully you to do their work, get tough and accept no bull**** fobbing off.

MYOB wrote: »
    You're not liable for any liabilities of the previous owner (exception being uncleared secured finance...). Its some customer service agent, likely not even in this country, spouting off. Tell them to use their access to the NVDF to find out who owned it before you and if they continue to harrass you for the fines, you'll go after them for harrasment.

Anyway, make sure they're not my charges; I've the same car as you and I've only been charged once since October for about 30 crossings :D And I have a tag!

:D

That's the thing - reckon I've paid late (maybe 2 or 3 days late) on about 5 occasions, but those fines aren't showing up.

Do 100HPs have some kind of James Bond revolving number plate feature that we're not told about? It'd explain what that blank switch to the right of the Sport button is for. ;)

Advertisement