Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its go time

Options
  • 22-04-2009 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭

Male

Weight: 74.4kg

Height :5'7"

Sort term aims:

1: Lose body fat and tone up for the holidays.

Long term aims:

2: Build muscle.

So i joined a gym 10 weeks ago and so far iv lost 2kg, 76.4kg was my starting weight. So im losing my body fat so im happy so far. Once i lose the body fat I will hopefully start to bulk for muscle. I had a review last week and got a new work out program. I normally hit the gym 4 or 5 days a week.

I started my new routine today so i want to track it.

Day1 Wednesday 22/04/09

Treadmill: 15min interval training level 10

Rowing machine: 5min

Swiss ball squats 3x25

Step ups on bench 3x8 10kg

Calf raises 3x40 (cant see myself keeping this up seems pointless?)

Bent over row 3x8 12kg

Back ext 3x15

Upright row 3x8 10kg

Rear deltoid raises 3x8 8kg

Concentration curls 3x8 8kg

Bicep pulldown 3x8 50kg

I cool down with stretches then. I know the weight im lifting doesn't look much but i hope to work on that.

My diet

Breakfast 9pm: porridge two slices of toast brown bread

I hit the gym around 11

Lunch 2pm: soup 1 slice of whole wheat brown bread

Snack 4pm: Banana

Dinner 6pm: Meat veg spud the usual.

Snack 9pm: Low fat yogurt

Sleep: 8 hours.

Im open to any comments good or bad and help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

Too much going on in your training man, if you were going 100% for all them exercises you'd damn near kill yourself in the gym. Cut down the number of exercises.
    Not nearly enough protein in the diet. I'd start by introducing some eggs in the morning and chicken at lunch then go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Kev M wrote: »
    Too much going on in your training man, if you were going 100% for all them exercises you'd damn near kill yourself in the gym. Cut down the number of exercises.
    Not nearly enough protein in the diet. I'd start by introducing some eggs in the morning and chicken at lunch then go from there.

Cheers for advice. But the work only takes about a hour and a half, surely thats not too much? I know i have to start trying to get more protein, must start working on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

Vain wrote: »
    Cheers for advice. But the work only takes about a hour and a half, surely thats not too much? I know i have to start trying to get more protein, must start working on it.

Well, all I'm saying is that it's hard to go 100%intensity for such a high amount of total sets and exercises. Going as heavy as possible for 4 exercises should really be more than enough. But if you feel what you're doing is working then no worries

Treadmill: 10min interval training level 10

Push ups 2x failure (17,12)

Dumbbell chest press 3x8 14kg

Dumbbell pullover 3x8 12kg

Tricep dips 3x failure (16,10,10)

One arm row 3x8 16kg

Tricep push down 3x8 20kg

Ab cruncher 3x15 30kg

Med ball twists 2x20 2kg

Plank (front + sides) 30 secs each x 2 sets

Chest press machine 55kg 8,6,5

Cool down general stretches.

Treadmill: 10min interval training level 10

Swiss ball squats 3x10

Step ups on bench 2x8 10kg

Bent over row 3x8 12kg

Shoulder press 3x8 14kg

Back ext 3x15

Upright row 3x8 10kg

Concentration curls 3x8 8kg

Bicep pulldown 3x8 50kg

• Advertisement

Missed the gym for the last week :o So iv alot to catch up on

Rowing 5min

One arm row 3x8 16kg

Ab cruncher 3x15 30kg

Med ball twists 2x20 2kg

Monday 4/5/09 weight 73.9 kg

Swiss ball squats 3x15

Leg curl 3x8 50kg

Leg ext 3x8 50kg

Calf raises on step 3x8 10kg

Bent over row 3x8 14kg

Shoulder press 3x8 16kg

Back ext 3x15

Upright row 3x8 12kg

Concentration curls 3x8 9kg

Bicep pulldown 3x8 50kg

Rowing 5min

One arm row 3x8 16kg

Ab cruncher 3x15 30kg

Med ball twists 2x20 2kg

Rower 5min 84 cals

Swiss ball squats 3x15

Leg curl 3x8 50kg

Leg ext 3x8 50kg

Calf raises on step 3x8 10kg

Bent over row 3x8 14kg

Shoulder press 14kgx8 16kgx6 16kgx3

Back ext 3x15

Upright row 3x8 12kg

Concentration curls 3x8 9kg

Bicep pulldown 3x8 50kg

Treadmill 20min interval training level 10 276 cals

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Male

Weight: 74.4kg

Height :5'7"

Sort term aims:

1: Lose body fat and tone up

Long term aims:

2: Build muscle.

You have the same height /weight /goals as when I started my log two years ago.
    the work only takes about a hour and a half, surely thats not too much

1hr 30 mins is far too long. If you are going at max intensity you should be done in 45 mins max.

You have too many bitty isolation exercises in your program. Focus on compounds: squat, deadlift, pressing, pull ups, rows, lunges .... and some running.

• Advertisement

BossArky wrote: »
    You have the same height /weight /goals as when I started my log two years ago.

1hr 30 mins is far too long. If you are going at max intensity you should be done in 45 mins max.

You have too many bitty isolation exercises in your program. Focus on compounds: squat, deadlift, pressing, pull ups, rows, lunges .... and some running.

Cheers i shall read your log. Cant squat no squat rack in my gym, would dumbbell dead lifts be ok? like this? http://www.criticalbench.com/exercises/dumbbell-deadlift.htm

Rows? as in one arm row? bent over row?

cheers

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Those dumbbell deadlifts would be better than nothing. You won't be able to go too heavy though as I'm guessing your max dumbbells are 30-40kg? These may be ok for a few months starting off but you'll probably out grow them.

If you cannot squat then hold a dumbbell in each hand and try lunges. Is there a mini barbell that you can use to squat with at a light safe weight?

I just don't want you to waste 6 months (like I did) before realising squat and deadlift are some of the best things you can be doing to build muscle/loose fat.

Those dumbbell deadlifts would be better than nothing. You won't be able to go too heavy though as I'm guessing your max dumbbells are 30-40kg? These may be ok for a few months starting off but you'll probably out grow them.

If you cannot squat then hold a dumbbell in each hand and try lunges. Is there a mini barbell that you can use to squat with at a light safe weight?

I just don't want you to waste 6 months (like I did) before realising squat and deadlift are some of the best things you can be doing to build muscle/loose fat.

My max dumbbells are only 20kg i joined a gym part of a hotel:o All they have are two incline benchs and free weights up to 20kg and the usual weight machines. I used to do lunges stopped tho as i always found it hard to do when it was my left leg stepping forward (im right handed) Whats your daily diet like?

I have a bench press at home that im sure i can set it up to use as a squat rack so will start squating at home. Cheers for the sound advice.

Vain wrote:
    All they have are two incline benchs

If your gym has two incline benchs then they must have olympic bars on the racks for these benchs? Can you use these for deadlifting?
    Vain wrote:
    Whats your daily diet like?

Usually something like this.
    Vain wrote:
    I used to do lunges stopped tho as i always found it hard to do when it was my left leg stepping forward (im right handed)

Try static lunges. i.e. set yourself up with one leg forward and one behind. Keep both feet planted through the set. This is how I do them. Your balance will improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

If your gym has two incline benchs then they must have olympic bars on the racks for these benchs? Can you use these for deadlifting?

not necessarily, its rare that hotel gyms would shell out for racks and oly bars but they always have adjustable benches which i think is what he's talking about.

OP
    is there any way for you to change gym or are you in a contract??

not necessarily, its rare that hotel gyms would shell out for racks and oly bars but they always have adjustable benches which i think is what he's talking about.

OP
    is there any way for you to change gym or are you in a contract??

I paid for 6months have 3months left on it. I dont have a job at the moment so dont think leaving the gym with 3months left would be good on my pocket. I asked about would they have any interest in getting a squat rack. They siad no it wouldnt be that type of gym:(

Usually something like this.

Try static lunges. i.e. set yourself up with one leg forward and one behind. Keep both feet planted through the set. This is how I do them. Your balance will improve.

No bars only just dumbbells. I can do dead lifting at home i say. Must sort out the bench today im nearly sure it can be used as a rack so will be able to squat then.

Man thats some diet, dont think id be able to eat that much:D

Static lunges http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA8JxUBdn14 something like that? How would it be done with weight?

Static lunges http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA8JxUBdn14 something like that? How would it be done with weight?

Yes, do them like the guy does at around 20 secs (I randomly clicked into video).

To add weight you can hold a dumbbell in each hand hanging down by your side, or with a barbell across your shoulders. This is a good leg exercise if you cannot do squats.

Yes, do them like the guy does at around 20 secs (I randomly clicked into video).

To add weight you can hold a dumbbell in each hand hanging down by your side, or with a barbell across your shoulders. This is a good leg exercise if you cannot do squats.

Cheers. Will hopefully have a new work out sorted for monday.

Anyway back to my log just stuck with my usual workout my legs killing me since i started doing my cardio after my weight training.

Rowing 5min

Push ups 2x failure

Tricep dips 3x failure (17,12,10)

One arm row 3x8 16kg

Ab cruncher 3x15 30kg

Med ball twists 2x20 2kg

Treadmill: 12min interval training level 11 I went up 1 level but my legs couldnt keep up:D

Hope to start squating, deadlift, lunges on monday.

Advertisement