Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some advice before getting a new card...

Options
  • 22-04-2009 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

I've a slimline Dell PC with (what I think) is a pretty good spec. I've started playing some games lately (C&C Red Alert3, Fallout3, Endwar) and unless the settings are set to low the games judder along. I reckon I need a new graphics card but I need a low-profile version so the options aren't too great.

Here's the spec of my PC -
    Pentium D @ 3.4GHz
    4GB RAM
    XP SP3
    ATI Radeon X1300 Pro 256MB RAM 400MHz

Is this a good upgrade and more importantly, will I notice a difference?
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=426714

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Huge upgrade. The HD4550 is several times faster then the X1300 and is decent for fairly high quality gaming at low to normal resolution (1280x1024 downwards). Whatever way you look at it, it's a huge improvement. The fastest LP card available is the 9600GT LP which is a proper gaming card though I'm not sure if Irish retailers carry it.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

Huge upgrade. The HD4550 is several times faster then the X1300 and is decent for fairly high quality gaming at low to normal resolution (1280x1024 downwards). Whatever way you look at it, it's a huge improvement. The fastest LP card available is the 9600GT LP which is a proper gaming card though I'm not sure if Irish retailers carry it.

Thanks for that TF. I looked into the 9600GT LP and you're right - it's brand new to the market. I would be excellent for me but it would be a lot more expensive and I'd have to wait - http://www.hexus.net//content/item.php?item=17858

I'll go with the Sapphire HD4550 - as you say it would be a step up from my X1300. I was a bit worried because the clock speeds looked the same. It's always better to get a recommendation!

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

Just an update guys. I sourced an ASUS EAH4550 512MB Low Profile from the US on eBay. It's amazing how much of a difference this makes to games like Fallout 3.

If anyone is in the same position and looking for a low profile card, I strongly recommend a Radeon 4550 512MB :cool:

Advertisement