Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike Stolen.....

• 22-04-2009 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭

Well I've only had my bike for a week and a half and already its been stolen.....and then recovered in a matter of 20 minutes!
    I left it outside the RCSI in Dublin today (don't go to college there, but have always seen a good few bikes there). So come back and no sign of my bike, just as im about to call the guards - out walks a guard from inside.
    We go into the RCSI security center and they are rewatching their footage of the robbery as we arrive in.
    Turns out on of the security guys, ex polish police, had followed them to see where they would end up. Turns out they were leaving it in the flats over by the mercer hotel - while they were wearing FULL school uniform.
    Got it recovered, fingerprinted etc and the guards are going to pull all CCTV.
    Im delighted to get it back, but it has left a sour taste in my mouth. Is biking for me? I only got one to enjoy for the summer, head into town etc - but why bother if some little scrot-rot is going to rob it. (in my case 5 16year olds)
    I study and work in town, so want to be able to bring my bike in!!

Side note - The guard I ran into who helped me out, really went above and beyond to help get it back for me. He was on a late shift and was only around that way to help with an errand off the clock. Not once did he try fob me off or say 'im not on the clock, here call them'. Very impressed with their professionalism and hard work!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Terrible to hear about your bike being stolen and lucky for you it was found.

Did you have a chain or at least a disc lock on it? If not then you're just asking for it to be knicked, as you've unfortunately found out. People tend to ignore alarms and the only sure way of not getting it stolen is to lock it to something solid, or another bikes lock if you think they will still be there when you get back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

First things first: sorry to hear your bike was nicked. Secondly: fair play to the Garda and to the Security Officer(s)! Well done! :)

Now, you need to ask yourself why your bike was stolen. The general rules for not having your bike nicked is:

- park it where it's safe (very broad term but you know what I mean)
    - use maximum security (you will never find my bike not locked to an immovable object AND with a disc lock)
    - get an alarm/immobiliser

I'm sure 90% of all bikes thefts are "opportunistic thefts". MAKE IT HARD FOR THE LITTLE FOOKERS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

I had 'thought' that the RCSI was safe enough, as I've walked past it everyday for the past 4 years and always seen the same three bikes there.
    I had borrowed my brothers Masterlink Cuffs-but the CCTV shows these kids literally taking 30-40 seconds to take them off.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=19413
    One of the main faults that the Gardai were saying, was that I didn't lock it to something immovable. Their advice was what they called a BFC - Big flipping Chain. Its more visual and helps put them off-however, if they really want your bike (mines a vespa) they will just bring a van, so nothing is 100% secure.
    Going to pick my bike up later on, I really don't know what to say to the Guard - he really was amazing! Chained my 'lazy gardai' view!
    Going to get a new BFC and a disc lock too!

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭paulieeye

I had 'thought' that the RCSI was safe enough, as I've walked past it everyday for the past 4 years and always seen the same three bikes there.
    I had borrowed my brothers Masterlink Cuffs-but the CCTV shows these kids literally taking 30-40 seconds to take them off.
    One of the main faults that the Gardai were saying, was that I didn't lock it to something immovable. Their advice was what they called a BFC - Big flipping Chain. Its more visual and helps put them off-however, if they really want your bike (mines a vespa) they will just bring a van, so nothing is 100% secure.
    Going to pick my bike up later on, I really don't know what to say to the Guard - he really was amazing! Chained my 'lazy gardai' view!

jaybus...150eur for that and it was off in 30sec!!

did they pick the lock or what?

paulieeye wrote: »
    jaybus...150eur for that and it was off in 30sec!!

did they pick the lock or what?

On their website they have a lifetime guarantee. I'd be looking into making a claim on it as you have CCTV of the lock being defeated in seconds.

TBH as the Garda said a BFC is the only way, but for added peace of mind it should be Thatcham Approved

http://www.thatcham.org/security/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/

I live in apartments beside one of the worst estates in Dublin with my bike in full view, loads of cars and bikes nicked out of the place and nobody has bothered even trying to take mine. All because of that chain.

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/

I live in apartments beside one of the worst estates in Dublin with my bike in full view, loads of cars and bikes nicked out of the place and nobody has bothered even trying to take mine. All because of that chain.
    Or maybe it's because you're bike is poo! :D :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Well I am a poo head, but I don't think that translates to my bike by extension.

Well I am a poo head, but I don't think that translates to my bike by extension.
    Hehehehehe ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

If you have a vespa, sticking a BFC in the tool box shoudn't be a prob. Stick on a small disc lock if you have a disc brake on the front of your vespa too. Make sure you chain the bike to something solid, ie. lampost or railings etc. If it's locked to itself they will just lift the bike complete into a van and away. Take about 2 of them no probs.

safe scootin'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Tomohawk wrote: »
    If you have a vespa, sticking a BFC in the tool box shoudn't be a prob. Stick on a small disc lock if you have a disc brake on the front of your vespa too. Make sure you chain the bike to something solid, ie. lampost or railings etc. If it's locked to itself they will just lift the bike complete into a van and away. Take about 2 of them no probs.

safe scootin'

Exactly what he said. Even 2 chains if you can fit them in, the more the better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

Just ordered a BFG, so should be here tomo. my birthday is next week and on the list is an Almax chain aswell.
    I'll have to give the BFG to my bro for having his lock stolen while I was using it - twisited logic, but it'l keep a peaceful house!
    Disc lock is next on the list, might have a look in town tomo for one.
    I've learnt my lesson, I'm locking it to something solid ALL THE TIME!! I've even cleared out the garage to make space, so i can store it indoors when at home!

Good man! That's the way to do it! ;)

Just ordered a BFG, so should be here tomo. my birthday is next week and on the list is an Almax chain aswell.
    I'll have to give the BFG to my bro for having his lock stolen while I was using it - twisited logic, but it'l keep a peaceful house!
    Disc lock is next on the list, might have a look in town tomo for one.
    I've learnt my lesson, I'm locking it to something solid ALL THE TIME!! I've even cleared out the garage to make space, so i can store it indoors when at home!

You must have a lot of space to be getting a BFG, why not just get a BFC it'd be easier to store and not so noticable on the back of a scooter? That's if a BFG fits onto a scooter:D:D

bfgcover3s.gif

Advertisement