Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP OFF REPUBLIC ****

Options
  • 22-04-2009 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26 sharonbabes

I just bought a dress in Monsoon for €280 and the same dress is online/priced in the UK at £180. How can these rip-off merchants justify the difference?

I want your help to make a difference!

Are you tired of retailers taking the proverbial piss by charging you over the odds for clothes that are a snip of the price in sterling? Just who is responsible for monitoring retail prices in Ireland and why are these big name retailers getting away with it? Now is the time for all of us to come together, show some people power and show these rip off merchants that we will NOT take it! Help me name and shame those shops

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=643466986&ref=profile#/group.php?gid=87926845663&ref=mf

I have every confidence that this group will be popular and I will prove these shops can not afford to ignore what is the power of social networking. It's time to fight back!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Why did you buy it then?

Prices are €280 in Ireland because people pay them. Its called market economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I just bought a dress in Monsoon for €280 and the same dress is online/priced in the UK at £180. How can these rip-off merchants justify the difference?

I want your help to make a difference!

Are you tired of retailers taking the proverbial piss by charging you over the odds for clothes that are a snip of the price in sterling? Just who is responsible for monitoring retail prices in Ireland and why are these big name retailers getting away with it? Now is the time for all of us to come together, show some people power and show these rip off merchants that we will NOT take it! Help me name and shame those shops

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=643466986&ref=profile#/group.php?gid=87926845663&ref=mf

I have every confidence that this group will be popular and I will prove these shops can not afford to ignore what is the power of social networking. It's time to fight back!

Let me get this straight. You bought the dress, and it's only now you want to start the rebellion agaisnt Irish retail? If it's too expensive, dont buy it. It's that simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 sharonbabes

CiaranC wrote: »
    Why did you buy it then?

Prices are €280 in Ireland because people pay them. Its called market economics.

The answer to that question is (a.) I didn't think the price difference would be THAT much, and (b.) I needed it quite quickly.

My shopping habits or that of others aren't and shouldn't be under fire. ealistically not everyone can shop online or travel "up north". The wider concern is that these shops are getting away with robbery quite frankly and this issue must be highlighted.

Believe it or not there are people who aren't aware of these massive scale differences.

Rather than point out the obvious it would surely be better to discuss a way of pushing for change/action?

Let me get this straight. You bought the dress, and it's only now you want to start the rebellion agaisnt Irish retail? If it's too expensive, dont buy it. It's that simple.

I came on this forum to share my views with people who I thought had similar grievances. Simply advising people not to buy a product is not going to change the situation...as much as I'd love to live in that airy fairyland where everybody does the right thing....it just isn't going to happen pet.

This problem (I agree) has been present for quite some time but I haven't seen anybody even try to take some action...

One of my questions was who is responsible for monitoring retail prices in Ireland...is there someone? If you don't know ...don't worry I won't judge you or write a pointless negative response!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

No. Its no ones job to monitior prices. It is a free country and there are no caps on prices. To impose a cap, would fall foul of the anti-price fixing legislation.

It is buyer beware - LITERALLY !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Why lower the prices when people like yourself are willing to pay those prices.

No. Its no ones job to monitior prices. It is a free country and there are no caps on prices. To impose a cap, would fall foul of the anti-price fixing legislation.

It is buyer beware - LITERALLY !

Thank you superscouse. You know I could have turned a blind eye to maybe €20 in the difference but €100 (after conversion!) Surely the consumer agency or watchdog can do something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭BuddhaJoe

My shopping habits or that of others aren't and shouldn't be under fire.

Of course they are. If people are willing to buy the products at the prices being sold then the shops will continue to charge those prices.
    Simply advising people not to buy a product is not going to change the situation...

It will do a lot more good than a Facebook group will.

BuddhaJoe wrote: »
    Of course they are. If people are willing to buy the products at the prices being sold then the shops will continue to charge those prices.

It will do a lot more good than a Facebook group will.

Oh be realistic - the whole of Ireland isn't going to stop going into shops. Absolutely they should, but some can't and alot don't even realise the extent of the difference.

I was at a conference yesterday which highlighted and discussed the power of social media to influence decisions/actions of companies/brands. Only when you have studied the power of new media are you in a position to say whether or not a FB group can help a cause.

I'm not on the thread to argue so I'll agree to disagree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

bobcar61 wrote: »
    Why lower the prices when people like yourself are willing to pay those prices.

exactly. If you were a shop owner with customers that will pay these high prices, what reason do they have to lower them? It does come down to simply not buying Irish if possible, OP i sincerely doubt buying that dress was a life or death situation. If you felt so strongly about it you could have just not bought it. Paying these prices is supporting these prices, if you think it's unjust buy elsewhere.

• Advertisement

exactly. If you were a shop owner with customers that will pay these high prices, what reason do they have to lower them? It does come down to simply not buying Irish if possible, OP i sincerely doubt buying that dress was a life or death situation. If you felt so strongly about it you could have just not bought it. Paying these prices is supporting these prices, if you think it's unjust buy elsewhere.

I didn't see the price difference until after the purchase - If I had I would have put 50 yo yo's in the car and went to Newry!!!:D trust me!! BUT...I shouldn't have to do that. That's my only point. And I will do whatever I can to get the hard-done-by consumers behind me with a view to push these retailers into making some big changes. If I fail I fail, but it's better than simply saying I can't change it so I'll roll with it.;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I was at a conference yesterday which highlighted and discussed the power of social media to influence decisions/actions of companies/brands. Only when you have studied the power of new media are you in a position to say whether or not a FB group can help a cause.
    I'm part of a rather large Facebook group that wants Ray D'arcy off the air yet he continues to mediocre the airwaves each morning. I'm glad you drank the Kool Aid but it's fanciful at best to think that you'll achieve anything with a Facebook group. Like online petitions, you're tilting at windmills.

And in what particular circumstances does one "need" to purchase a €280/£180 dress? You paid what the market will bear for a luxury good and now have buyers remorse.

Robbo wrote: »
    I'm part of a rather large Facebook group that wants Ray D'arcy off the air yet he continues to mediocre the airwaves each morning. I'm glad you drank the Kool Aid but it's fanciful at best to think that you'll achieve anything with a Facebook group. Like online petitions, you're tilting at windmills.

And in what particular circumstances does one "need" to purchase a €280/£180 dress? You paid what the market will bear for a luxury good and now have buyers remorse.

If I told you what I needed it for Robbo I'd have to kill ye! lol...I did need it and yes it was a luxury item (I never normally splash that much). Sure I'll just bring it back when I'm finished with it!! LOL I joke, I joke!

PS: Ray D'arcy is not that bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I didn't see the price difference until after the purchase - If I had I would have put 50 yo yo's in the car and went to Newry!!!:D trust me!! BUT...I shouldn't have to do that. That's my only point. And I will do whatever I can to get the hard-done-by consumers behind me with a view to push these retailers into making some big changes. If I fail I fail, but it's better than simply saying I can't change it so I'll roll with it.;)

Shouldn't have to go up north,but it's a choice and alot of us choose to go up North for the saving but alot more decide to shop local hence the high prices.

A Facebook group is going to do very little towards getting the retailers to lower their prices.
    You said you "needed" it earlier.I'm sure you didn't need it but wanted it for something that evening or the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

R F on the other hand is a complete waste of space but then again he's banned from here so shouldn't mention the dweeb.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Thank you superscouse. You know I could have turned a blind eye to maybe €20 in the difference but €100 (after conversion!) Surely the consumer agency or watchdog can do something?

ER? No, the carn't.

The only way people can do something is to vote with their feet (or get onto Scott Williams on Q102)

bobcar61 wrote: »
    Shouldn't have to go up north,but it's a choice and alot of us choose to go up North for the saving but alot more decide to shop local hence the high prices.

A Facebook group is going to do very little towards getting the retailers to lower their prices.
    You said you "needed" it earlier.I'm sure you didn't need it but wanted it for something that evening or the next day.

Well if I'm not too busy with the day job I might make this a much bigger campaign than FB and throw alot more behind it. I'm quite passionate about it so yes I think I will. Cheers for all your views anyhoo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

Surely the consumer agency or watchdog can do something?

they can't !!!!!

If I had some sort of government agency coming in to my office telling me what prices I had to charge for stuff I would be out of business very quickly.

When I quote a customer, I do so factoring in a massive amount of variables including what I feel the market will bare. If I win the business I must be doing something right, If I loose the business (and if I get good feedback) I will alter my cost base if I can, offer additional value-add services for the next quote.

Anyone can charge what they like for what they are selling, it is up to the buyer if they want to pay that much for it.

Currently in ireland we are seeing that many consumers are not willing to pay the prices in ROI and instead are willing to make the journey across the border or buy online. It really is a buyer's market in many ways.

The bottom line is you made a purchase and want to 'do' something about it after the fact. The only way you could have made a difference really is by not buying the item, shopping elsewhere and making the retailer aware that you spent money in another shop due to the price of the dress.

By the way, as the saying goes .. the market price of anything is whatever someone is willing to pay for it. You were obviously willing to pay €280 for the dress, but have a touch of buyer's remorse after finding out your british neighbours could buy it cheaper in their local store.

whippet wrote: »
    they can't !!!!!

If I had some sort of government agency coming in to my office telling me what prices I had to charge for stuff I would be out of business very quickly.

When I quote a customer, I do so factoring in a massive amount of variables including what I feel the market will bare. If I win the business I must be doing something right, If I loose the business (and if I get good feedback) I will alter my cost base if I can, offer additional value-add services for the next quote.

Anyone can charge what they like for what they are selling, it is up to the buyer if they want to pay that much for it.

Currently in ireland we are seeing that many consumers are not willing to pay the prices in ROI and instead are willing to make the journey across the border or buy online. It really is a buyer's market in many ways.

The bottom line is you made a purchase and want to 'do' something about it after the fact. The only way you could have made a difference really is by not buying the item, shopping elsewhere and making the retailer aware that you spent money in another shop due to the price of the dress.

By the way, as the saying goes .. the market price of anything is whatever someone is willing to pay for it. You were obviously willing to pay €280 for the dress, but have a touch of buyer's remorse after finding out your british neighbours could buy it cheaper in their local store.

Of course I have buyers remorse...who wouldn't. I actually consider myself lucky though because now that I have seen the price variation I will never shop there (MONSOON) again. However, there are people who don't know what is going on and need to be made aware...and I'm a big believer that people power does pay off no matter how big or small your shop is...

A buyers market?? ... clearly not (unless it's a second hand car or the house of your dreams... in which case I'd agree)

Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭notlongleft

just my 2c on this - i for one am all up for people going shopping online in uk etc i do it myself but people always forget that although we have rip off prices here we also have ridiclous wages. Has anyone thought about what people in the north in the same job as them are on for a salary?? in my profession they are on 10k less therefore let them off with the cheaper prices they dont have as much money to spend therefore the lower prices!
    if retailers are to bring down their prices we are all goign to have to take even more pay cuts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I seriously thought this thread was sarcastic, like that other "boxer shorts" thread, everything is so wrong about it.
    I just bought a dress in Monsoon for €280
    Why did you buy it if it was so expensive. Oh! thats right, you obviously thought it was worth the price.
    now that I have seen the price variation I will never shop there (MONSOON) again.
    So now you will go to a similar shop and buy a similar dress for a similar price, just as long as they do not have shops in other countries with lower prices. Makes sense.
    How can these rip-off merchants justify the difference?
    They don't have to.
    Just who is responsible for monitoring retail prices in Ireland
    YOU
    why are these big name retailers getting away with it?
    Because of the likes of YOU. Why would they charge less if you are willing to pay more, makes no business sense whatsoever, it is not a charity shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

ealistically not everyone can shop online

Everbody can shop online, no excuses at all. If you don't own a credit card get a friend to purchase online for you. You can also purchase some sort of pre-paid credit card yoke I think. There is also internet cafes everywhere nowadays..

I purchase as much as I possibly can online..

rubadub wrote: »
    I seriously thought this thread was sarcastic, like that other "boxer shorts" thread, everything is so wrong about it.

Why did you buy it if it was so expensive. Oh! thats right, you obviously thought it was worth the price.

So now you will go to a similar shop and buy a similar dress for a similar price, just as long as they do not have shops in other countries with lower prices. Makes sense.

They don't have to.

YOU

Because of the likes of YOU. Why would they charge less if you are willing to pay more, makes no business sense whatsoever, it is not a charity shop.

I honestly can't believe you're a moderator:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Thats right, I'd have banned her for gross numpty without due licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭BuddhaJoe

Bringing back the Whispa is a far cry away from getting shops to change the prices on items that consumers seem to be willing to pay.

BuddhaJoe wrote: »
    Bringing back the Whispa is a far cry away from getting shops to change the prices on items that consumers seem to be willing to pay.

ha ha ha...wasn't the wispa I had in mind but good guess!! lol You def' need a sense of humour to be on these boards amongst the social elite don't ye!! lmao

Right...I've real work to do - later y'all - thanks for your input/output , whatev'!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

to a large extent consumers here have theselves to blame for the high prices! Why wouldnt the retailers charge what they can get away with?! I mean are people only waking up to the reality of this rip of republic now?! how anyone can be shocked anymore is beyond me!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Best thing for Monsoon to do is invest thousands in payroll and cover up the sterling like some other stores have done.

To Sharonbabes, be generous with your campaign; I hear Iceland and Dubai are paying over the odds for consumer items, make sure the British companies trading there also get the brunt of your actions!!

Why stop there: Zara sells at 30% less in the Eurozone compared to GB.
    American Apparel, 25% more in Europe
    Top shop 20% more in America than GB.

If you want the government to control prices start a communist party.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You came to a forum and complained about high prices people pay yet you are part of the problem as you paid the high price, you should have done your part as a concerned consumer and shopped around instead of blindly buying at a higher price

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If rubadub is a mod or not has nothing to do with his or her views on this forum, as rubadub is not a mod of this forum they are a user the same as you or me and as such are entitled on their views.

This is a standard enough rule on boards.ie made very clear in the past,

Given this type of thread has been posted thousands of times and the OP is actually part of the problem imho I have to agree with rubadub

Advertisement