Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Towing Horsebox Lessons

Options
  • 22-04-2009 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Where can I find local instructors for towing horsebox lessons?

Or do I ask a driving instructor for advice?
    No idea what to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

where are you based?

I did mine in Naas - they provide a jeep and trailer for lessons and the test if you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

Kerry.

Lucky you, thats is ideal. Jeep and trailer provided for lessons and test.

Is that the only place that does this in Ireland?

If so, would they have an intensive course like a long weekend course of driving lessons and then at the end a test?

How did it take you to do the lessons and test?
    And how much was it?
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭otwb

The Road Safety Authority have a list of instructors at
    http://www.rsa.ie/SERVICES/upload/File/ADI%20Docs/Full%20permit%20list%20060409.pdf

Can't remember how much the lessons were... - it could have been €50 or 80 p/h for lessons and €150 for a pre-test lesson and hire of the jeep and trailer for the test, I took three lessons and the pre-test, all in the week or two before the test.

pm you details of the driving school

I try find a local instructor 1st, if no luck then Nass.

Is the catergory for car/Jeep and horsebox : E+B?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I wouldn't think it would be necessary to go to Naas. A friend of mine did lessons in Ennis. He borrowed a 2 axle builders trailer and used his own car. Don't use a horsebox as it's more difficult.
    I meant to say don't use the horsebox for the test.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chindato

Yes, the license for a car + double axled trailer is an EB licence.
    <snip> - not all instructors know how to reverse a trailer though, so check their experience first :)

Don't forget that in order to do a test for an EB licence, you must hold an EB provisional licence, which means that you'll have to do the theory test and all that rigmarole, just like when you go for your first driving licence.

hth
    Chindato

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Quartet

finbarrk wrote: »
    I wouldn't think it would be necessary to go to Naas. A friend of mine did lessons in Ennis. He borrowed a 2 axle builders trailer and used his own car. Don't use a horsebox as it's more difficult.
    I meant to say don't use the horsebox for the test.

Builders Trailer - Do you mean a flatbed trailer with sides? Would it not be more difficult to see this type of trailer What makes it easier to manoeuvre?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Quartet wrote: »
    Builders Trailer - Do you mean a flatbed trailer with sides? Would it not be more difficult to see this type of trailer What makes it easier to manoeuvre?

god i would think the same i can reverse a horse box in a flash but with a flat bed trailer it takes a few go s sometimes
    I think because the horse box weighs heavier its easier !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Anyone know of instructors in Carlow area? I just did my theory test for my B+E provisional too.

I also think reversing a horsebox is easier than a small trailer from my own limited experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

According to my OH reversing a horse box is easier than reversing a car trailer because it has a longer draw bar, and something to do with if its shorter its nearer the car and for some reason (I have forgotten :o) it is more difficult.

Anyway I got one lesson in the airport driving school in Finglas, they have jeeps and trailers to use. I'm going for another lesson next week, but don't have time to apply for the test right now. I had a 2 hour lesson for €95, it was easy enough if I could just get my brain to think in opposites.

Don't forget if you have your provisional EB licence you must wait 6 months before applying for a test, they won't test you until you hold it 6 months.

• Advertisement

I don't mean a small trailer. If you could get a longish one it's easier. While the horsebox is easy enough to reverse, you cant use the inside mirror with it as the box itself blocks the view. Thats the advantage of using the trailer in the test, you can use the 3 mirrors so it becomes easier.
    In the test when you have to reverse around the corner, you can't see directly behind the horsebox, whereas with the trailer you can see so it makes it easier.

Quartet wrote: »

A long flat one with low sides.

I already have full licence for car: b.
    So need to apply for new provisional licence for car and trailer: EB.
    Do I need to do the Theory test again?
    I thought no need cos passed my driving test and have full licence.
    I thought I could gwt provisional for trailer and lessons then 6 months later apply for test?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

I already have full licence for car: b.
    So need to apply for new provisional licence for car and trailer: EB.
    Do I need to do the Theory test again?
    I thought no need cos passed my driving test and have full licence.
    I thought I could gwt provisional for trailer and lessons then 6 months later apply for test?

I had to do a theory test, but only because when I passed my B licence we didn't do any that time. So No theory test for you again (unless you want to drive a HGV - C licence for horse lorry, etc).
    Yes you only need a provisional for EB licence and go for lessons, apply for the test in that category after 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

if your going to go to the trouble of paying for lessons and doing the test would you not be better to just go for a C licence.

That way your paying nearly the same for the lessons, you do a test and if and when you pass you automatically get the EB and if down the road your decide to buy a truck (which in todays recession times are dropping in price alot) then you have the licence to drive it.

Also your driving one vehicle so you don't have to worry about opposites in reversing. you just need to get use to bigger wider longer vehicle which your probably good at if your already towing a box. And alot of lorries drive like cars (according to ads)

i was thinking of doing the EB but now i'm not sure..whats the savings... need to weigh the pros and cons

Wicked

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ciars84

Wicked wrote: »
    if your going to go to the trouble of paying for lessons and doing the test would you not be better to just go for a C licence.

That way your paying nearly the same for the lessons, you do a test and if and when you pass you automatically get the EB and if down the road your decide to buy a truck (which in todays recession times are dropping in price alot) then you have the licence to drive it.

Oh really?
    It would be handier as you say to do the C licence and then automatically get the EB licence? Is this definitally correct?
    I have just gotten my provisional EB licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

No its not correct I have a c licence and a provisonal artic licence. I got the latter because the c licence does not cover me to tow my trailer I intend to take my artic test soon only for this reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

O.A.P wrote: »
    No its not correct I have a c licence and a provisonal artic licence. I got the latter because the c licence does not cover me to tow my trailer I intend to take my artic test soon only for this reason
    correct, my hubby also got his c in the past 12 months and he's also not covered to tow trailer, he's also going to do the artic test for the same reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

well i really do apologise then if i'm wrong.

i only said the above because the owner of the saddlery i go to told me he got the EB when he did the C.

It made sense to me.

but i do apologise for being misleading

Advertisement