Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Awareness of Road Safety, and the winner is....

Options
  • 22-04-2009 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭

For anyone interested,
    the College Awareness of Road Safety 2009 exhibition was yesterday in Aungier St, (if you saw Gay Byrne walking around it was because of it).

Students, either as part of a class module or otherwise, submitted a road safety youtube video and a poster.

Here is this years winning video entry.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

Were you part of the group who made that made that vid? I have to say I found very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

It was done by a group from 3rd year bachelor of business studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

My girlfriend came home from that event yesterday with some presidents prize from DIT, shes a final year marketing student.

Can't say I think a whole pile of that video, just continues the RSA's neverending mantra of "speed kills" while negating other factors such as drink driving, drug driving, inexperience, awareness of road conditions, over tiredness, vehicle maintenance etc. etc.etc.

Doing 140km/h on a motorway isn't going to kill anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Doing 140km/h on a motorway isn't going to kill anyone.

I beg to differ especially the way the motorway is at the moment. Someone doing 140 on a motorway is likely to cause an accident for many reason, one being that the speed that they are doing is likely to distract other drivers, two it may not give enough time for a driver to react to any sort of situation or even to account for the fact that on much of the motorway the speed limit is 60 and that is what a ot of people stick to, three the surface is so bad at the moment that doing 140 wont allow you to compensate, 5 if you rear end someone at 140 imagine the damage caused.

Now please go away you complete idiot. People like that make me sick.

Have to agree with the above poster.

I think what some drivers don't understand is that even if you are the most talented driver in the world if you are speeding and somebody else makes a mistake on the road you will not have the time to react that you would of have if you were doing a reasonable speed.

There are bad drivers out there and its not just the ones that speed. Speed does so much damage because it doesn't allow the speeding car time to react to other road users.

• Advertisement

I beg to differ especially the way the motorway is at the moment. Someone doing 140 on a motorway is likely to cause an accident for many reason, one being that the speed that they are doing is likely to distract other drivers, two it may not give enough time for a driver to react to any sort of situation or even to account for the fact that on much of the motorway the speed limit is 60 and that is what a ot of people stick to, three the surface is so bad at the moment that doing 140 wont allow you to compensate, 5 if you rear end someone at 140 imagine the damage caused.

Now please go away you complete idiot. People like that make me sick.

Two questions:
    1. Do you know the difference between km/h and mph?
    2. Do you realise there are other motorways in Ireland? (I'm presuming your entire post relates only to the M50)

Also I have to point out the juxtaposition between the last line of your post and the first line of your sig, cheers for the laugh.

shoutman wrote: »
    Have to agree with the above poster.

I think what some drivers don't understand is that even if you are the most talented driver in the world if you are speeding and somebody else makes a mistake on the road you will not have the time to react that you would of have if you were doing a reasonable speed.

There are bad drivers out there and its not just the ones that speed. Speed does so much damage because it doesn't allow the speeding car time to react to other road users.

I do realise that speed is a factor, but it is far from the only cause of incidents. My home place is on a national route and I know of at least 4 people that have died within sight of my home due to traffic incidents, none of which were due to speeding. I've lost someone very close to me in a road traffic incident due to driver fatigue and a friend of mine lost his entire family for the same reason.

All I'm saying is that the RSA put a huge over-emphasis on speed as a factor in road traffic incidents. It would be nice to see some diversity in their message, which is nonetheless extremely worthwhile.

I don't think anyone is saying that speed is the sole reason for deaths on the road.
    But the fact of the matter is the single biggest contributory cause of road deaths in Ireland ('07 figures) is speed.

I'm not sure whether its done by the RSA or not, but I have heard ads recently comparing driver fatigue with drink driving...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Two questions:
    1. Do you know the difference between km/h and mph?
    2. Do you realise there are other motorways in Ireland? (I'm presuming your entire post relates only to the M50)

Also I have to point out the juxtaposition between the last line of your post and the first line of your sig, cheers for the laugh.

I do know the difference yes. If I didnt I probably shouldnt be allowed out in a car.

Yes I am reffering in generaly to the M50 sorry.

I do agree that therre are other factors which should be addressed and that is why at events like ****** they run add campaign adds about driver fatigue. So on those points I agree with you, it does not lesson the factor of speeding though.

Advertisement