Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best signings of the season 08/09

• 22-04-2009 5:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

It's controversial thread time! Who have been the biggest success stories of 08/09 (doesn't have to solely Premeirship)?

My picks -

Mark Schwarzer (Fulham) - Keeper of the year imo and cost nothing.

Marouane Fellaini (Everton) - Being played out of position yet still doing a great job.

Pablo Zabaleta (Manchester City) - Biased? Maybe. Great player? Definitely.

James Beattie (Stoke City) - His goals are the main reason they can look forward to another year in the top of flight.

Andrei Arshavin (Arsenal) - 8 games, 6 goals and 4 assists says it all.

Nadir Belhadj (Portsmouth) - One of the few shining lights in an otherwise disappointing season. Cost nothing as well as he's on loan.

Over to you.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Albert Riera-cost about 5m iirc, been excellent for virtually the whole year. slipped into the team fairly effortlessly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

berbo lolz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Fellaini
    Arshavin
    Riera
    Palacios
    Schwarzer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Kiko Macheda ;) not as such a signing but a promotion to the first team

macheda-969894876.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Daniel Alves. Hands down best signing this year imo...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

eZe^ wrote: »

this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

geovanni for hull
    zaki - i know he's on loan and has accomplished little except p!ssing people off in the last number of months but he did very well at the start of the season.
    schwarzer, arshavin, beattie for the reason already given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Maybe a bit premature but Joesph Ndo for boh's

Sheer quality this season from him, Pique not bad either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Chong wrote: »
    Kiko Macheda ;) not as such a signing but a poaching

FYP ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Albert Riera-cost about 5m iirc, been excellent for virtually the whole year. slipped into the team fairly effortlessly.

8m. I think hes a bit too inconsistent to be considering a great signing. A good signing ? Definitely. And for that money, you would struggle to find someone better.

Tusky wrote: »
    8m. I think hes a bit too inconsistent to be considering a great signing. A good signing ? Definitely. And for that money, you would struggle to find someone better.
    Certainly better than his city days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Chong wrote: »
    Certainly better than his city days.

Not true.

Riera was excellent for us. Scored a belter against Newcastle and picked up the MOM award when I went to see the FA Cup replay against Villa. He was awesome that night, as skillful and talented as he is now. All that's changed is he's now stronger on the ball.

Tusky wrote: »

my bad about the transfer figure.

no player is great every week, none.

more often than not Riera is excellent in matches.

I'd call that a very good signing, and certainly one of the best of the season in the PL, which is what this thread is about ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Taking Value for money into account:

Short Term: Its James Beattie for me. Considering the money you get for staying in the Premiership what a bargain he's turned out to be.

Long Term: Arshavin looks like the real deal. A World-Class player for 15mill (very unsure about the figure, might've been more like 10m, but it certainly wasn't a monster fee) is almost impossible to find, especially one that appears to be at the peak of his career. Maybe a knee-jerk reaction to last night (although every time I've seen him play he's been absolute quality) but I think he could be huge for Arsenal the next few of years, as important a player for them as Gerrard is for Liverpool or Ronaldo for United. And for the fee they paid that's an absolute bargain.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Schwarzer
    Alves/Keita
    Twigg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Fellini has been good alright but he'd want to be handy enough, he cost a few notes (£15m apparently)

Also correct me if i'm wrong ( i haven't seen hull in the last few weeks) but didn't Geovanni leave his form back in 2008?

Beattie would be man for best signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Arshavin or Zaki for me. Given Zaki's form has tapered off a little Id probably go with Arshavin.

From a Spurs perspective I am thrilled with Palacios, Modric, Keane and Defoe signings but none of them are what you would call bargains. Corluka was a great bit of business though imo.

One signing I was really envious off at the start of the season was Kompany but he doesnt seem to have set the worl alight. What do City fans think of him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Babybing wrote: »
    Arshavin or Zaki for me. Given Zaki's form has tapered off a little Id probably go with Arshavin.

A little?! He hasn't scored since December!
    One signing I was really envious off at the start of the season was Kompany but he doesnt seem to have set the worl alight. What do City fans think of him?

He is superb. A really solid player with a mature head on young shoulders (only 23). Delighted when we signed him and still delighted now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Fellaini by a country mile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Jo (to Everton!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Arshavin and little Nasri........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Arshavin will prove to be an unbelievable signing over the next few years imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Definitely Alves yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

// dreams about what could have been...Alves in a Liverpool shirt. Sigh....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Jonas for Newcastle.

Been one of Newcastle's top performers this season. Pity he's playing with such a woeful group of players.

Bassong also for Newcastle.

Great talent and still very young. See plenty of things for him in the future but I don't think it will be with Newcastle.

I think Rafael and his brother Fabio are also tremendous signings for Man United.

Deco was also a great signing. Hasn't been getting a look in as of late but he performed exceptionally under Scolari.

Geovanni for Hull was a brilliant signing and on a free too. Can't go far wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

they nearly signed Arshavin too but they couldn't offload Robbie in time ...:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

playa3 wrote: »
    they nearly signed Arshavin too but they couldn't offload Robbie in time ...:P

i truly hope this is not true!! it pains me to think how good andrei could be and that the pool didnt get hiim!! thenn again he probably wouldnt get in the team ahead of dirk..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

already said but alves is playing great. Meant to have cost a few bob tho. I forgot Liverpool nearly signed him a few years ago. Its ok tho cos ye have dossena now!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

That_Guy wrote: »
    Jonas for Newcastle.

Been one of Newcastle's top performers this season. Pity he's playing with such a woeful group of players.

Bassong also for Newcastle.

Great talent and still very young. See plenty of things for him in the future but I don't think it will be with Newcastle.

I think Rafael and his brother Fabio are also tremendous signings for Man United.

Deco was also a great signing. Hasn't been getting a look in as of late but he performed exceptionally under Scolari.

Geovanni for Hull was a brilliant signing and on a free too. Can't go far wrong.
    Deco had a great debut, 2 good performances after and has been crap ever since.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

That_Guy wrote: »
    Jonas for Newcastle.

Indeed.

Isn't Deco injured and has been injured for a while?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Gary Twigg. He gets the ball, he scores a goal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

There can be only one. Gary Twigg!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Not to start a whole big thing but I don't think Alves would look quite as good in this current Liverpool team as he does with Barca.

Mainly because he wouldn't be in the same system or have Lionel Messi ahead of him - and they've just got an awesome understanding (especially for a first season playing together).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Not to start a whole big thing but I don't think Alves would look quite as good in this current Liverpool team as he does with Barca.

Mainly because he wouldn't be in the same system or have Lionel Messi ahead of him - and they've just got an awesome understanding (especially for a first season playing together).
    He'd have Kuyt!!!!! Think of the possibilities!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

The answer is Gary Twigg. You can close the thread there

It's a little sad to see that there are much more posts in the 'worst signing of the year' thread, just goes to show most fans would prefer to belittle and attack rival teams players instead of bigging up their own...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

It's a little sad to see that there are much more posts in the 'worst signing of the year' thread, just goes to show most fans would prefer to belittle and attack rival teams players instead of bigging up their own...
    People are always more vocal when they don't like something and it's a lot easier to spot a dud aswell a lot of excellent players get unnoticed as they create space and chances and tackle hard like catermole for wigan does nothing but tackle

I don't really think that's what's at play here. I just think there's less to talk about this season in terms of good signings i.e. this year there have been far more failures than successes.

The 2 players I suggested were January signings. There hasn't been a Torres type signing this year that has really set the Premiership alight.

As for Gutierrez and Bassong suggestions - I don't know I'm really not sure if a Newcastle player can be considered for this award with the season they have had. Granted I don't watch them week in week out. Gutierrez looks decent, strong and works hard but does he have real quality in terms of a goal threat? Positing him as a signing of a season is a bit of a stretch IMO. Likewise Bassong, can a player playing in a side leaking so many soft goals be considered?

Also - excuse my ignorance - but who is Gary Twigg?

• Advertisement

Alves
    Keita
    Pique

Three sucess stories from the team I support.

Diarra
    Huntelaar

Two from a rival team.

Mata
    Romaric
    Unai Emery

Three sucess stories from other rivals.

Arshavin
    Riera
    Macheda
    Hiddink
    Zabaleta
    Robinho
    Given (not sure, saw him play well once though.. :P)
    Boswinga

More sucess stories. It's not because there have been more failures, it's because people will ALWAYS dwell on negative things. It's just human nature, but it's so much easier and more pleasing to talk about sucess stories than get in circular arguments with opposition fans about how 'berbatov is utter p*ss' or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Morzadec wrote: »
    Also - excuse my ignorance - but who is Gary Twigg?
    Scored a hat trick against Galway United last week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Newcastle taking Alan Shearer off our tv screens is surely the best signing of the decade, never mind the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Boswinga
    Bosingwa's a great shout actually - forgot about him completely as he's been injured for, oh, about 3 weeks :o

Apart from that, I'd say Beattie ahead of Arshavin for two reasons:

(1) because it's a lot harder to attract the right player at Stoke's level compared to where Arsenal are at
    (2) while the money each seem to have earned their clubs is about comparable, I think Stoke could well have gone down without him whereas Arsenal might still be in 4th now even if Arshavin hadn't signed.

But more because of the first reason. Riera has also been an excellent signing for Liverpool - it can't just be a coincidence that his signing has led to a more sustained challenge this year, even if they do ultimately come up short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Rafael was a good signing.

you have got to be fishing?!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

For Spurs:
    Modric and Corluka excellent, Gomes coming good and will be one of the best keepers in the Premiership next year. In January, Palacios was a great bit of business.

Rest of the Premiership:
    Friedel, Milner
    Bosingwa
    Fellaini
    Geovanni
    Schwarzer, Paintsil
    Cisse, Malbranque
    Crouch, Belhadj
    Ilunga
    Zaki, Figueroa
    Arshavin
    Beattie

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Amauri

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Was Hangelaand (sp?) at Fulham last season? If not, he has to be a candidate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

We don't have many players to "big up".

• Advertisement
Advertisement