Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best signings of the season 08/09

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

tevez, gerrard & torres up front.

wow wow we wa.

aint gonna happen though. im still holding out for kid charlemagne (ribery... charlemagne the franck...... sh1te on a football forum. um, i well hard me :o )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Jazzy wrote: »
    (ribery... charlemagne the franck...... sh1te on a football forum. um, i well hard me :o )

You misspelled 'ard, pansy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

carlop wrote: »
    Was Hangelaand (sp?) at Fulham last season? If not, he has to be a candidate.

Signed in January of last year but wasn't a regular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Geovanni deserves more of a mention. Like Zaki he tapered off in the second half of the season but he was unreal in the first half. Hull beating Arsenal for example was all down to Geodude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Mr Alan wrote: »
    you have got to be fishing?!:eek:
    I'm sure he got his seasons wrong and meant Benitez. But if you disagree....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    (2) while the money each seem to have earned their clubs is about comparable, I think Stoke could well have gone down without him whereas Arsenal might still be in 4th now even if Arshavin hadn't signed.

Sad thing is, if he'd played last Saturday they might have reached the FA Cup Final as well :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Being a goalie IRL it's Schwarzer for me.

Though Spurs Getting R. Keane for what? -£5million is great value shout ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Being a goalie IRL it's Schwarzer for me.

Though Spurs Getting R. Keane for what? -£5million is great value shout ;)
    5m :eek: Thought they paid 12m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Highsider wrote: »
    5m :eek: Thought they paid 12m
    with add ons for staying up etc it goes up i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Just to clarify on the Keane transfer thing

Liverpool initially agreed a price of £19m plus £1.3m

The deal in January was £12 with £7m in add-ons.

Of those add-ons £4m were for Spurs staying up, which is pretty much secure.

The remaining £3m is dependent on Spurs winning silverware.

As such it is possible that the whole Keane incident could end up costing Liverpool nothing, while the maximum he looks to have cost is £3m

See long detailed post here for more
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055501711

The sources for this are the BBC, the Times and the Guardian.

B*starding b*stards on Alves

So so close to signing for Liverpool in 2006
    Supposedly a deal had been agreed at £7m but then at the last minute Sevilla upped the price to £8m and the Liverpool board wouldn't sanction it.
    Two years later Barcelona spend £23.5m on him.
    Instead of buying Alves, Liverpool spend £6.7m on Jermaine Pennant :(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/5078450.stm

B*starding b*stards on Alves

So so close to signing for Liverpool in 2006
    Supposedly a deal had been agreed at £7m but then at the last minute Sevilla upped the price to £8m and the Liverpool board wouldn't sanction it.
    Two years later Barcelona spend £23.5m on him.
    Instead of buying Alves, Liverpool spend £6.7m on Jermaine Pennant :(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/5078450.stm

Would he suit ye though? I could see Alves giving Rafa a heart attack with his free flowing marauding runs...

eZe^ wrote: »
    Would he suit ye though? I could see Alves giving Rafa a heart attack with his free flowing marauding runs...

As a right-midfielder yes - as a right-back Hell no. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Two best January window singings were Andrei Arshavin by Arsenal and Robbie Keane by Tottenham Hotspur.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Two best January window singings were Andrei Arshavin by Arsenal and Robbie Keane by Tottenham Hotspur.

Robbie Keane £16m
    His record at Spurs 3 goals in 810mins - 1 goal every 270 mins
    His record at Liverpool was 7 goals in 1784mins - 1 goal every 255 mins

eZe^ wrote: »

Of course he would.

His free flowing runs would be matched by Dossena's gazelle like running down the left. It would be beautiful, just beautiful.

Robbie Keane £16m

take that eagle_eye !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Robbie Keane £16m
    You talk goals, its not all about goals its about everything he does for them. He is creating space for Modric and Bent by just being present in the team. He is also a leader on the pitch which is something spurs did not have. He has made a huge contribution to the improvement in spurs that has come under Redknapp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

the best signing of the season has just scored for birmingham. . .we miss him (badly) in the middle but he's just helped us out with the bank (counting chicken's for the moment i know)

fair play Keith Fahey (next ireland squad has to be a serious possibility)

nuts, nevermind, must wait till next week for our money! - still the best signing though :-P

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    You talk goals, its not all about goals its about everything he does for them. He is creating space for Modric and Bent by just being present in the team. He is also a leader on the pitch which is something spurs did not have. He has made a huge contribution to the improvement in spurs that has come under Redknapp.

You're right. He has made a decent contribution to Spurs but he is a striker so I think his goal return has to be taken into account.

I just don't think he has been among the best signings of 08/09 (either at Liverpool or Spurs) especially at cost of £19m and £16m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Bassong.

Considering we singed him for pretty much nothing, as a pound for pound buy goes, he has to be up there with the steals of the season.

Also, pretty much justified Keegan's stance on why he should be in charge of the buying and selling, and not ratface Dennis wise.

Bassong for £0>>>>>>>>>>>>Aids>>>Supporting The Mackems>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Collocini for £11+ million.

Charlie wrote: »
    Bassong.

Considering we singed him for pretty much nothing, as a pound for pound buy goes, he has to be up there with the steals of the season.

Also, pretty much justified Keegan's stance on why he should be in charge of the buying and selling, and not ratface Dennis wise.

Bassong for £0>>>>>>>>>>>>Aids>>>Supporting The Mackems>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Collocini for £11+ million.

Didnt realise he was signed so cheap - from what little I've seen of him he reeks of quality defender, which when you consider the abyss of abyssmalness surrounding him is even more impressive.

I think he was signed for a cost of £0.5m as opposed to £0.

Only 22 - expect big clubs to swoop, especially if relegation occurs.

How fecking dumb do you have to be to think that letting Dennis Wise be responsible for signing players is anything even remotely approaching a reasonable idea. As a Newcastle supporter, there has to be a good chance that you could sue for false advertising simply on the basis of his surname alone. Personally I wouldn't trust him to be able to accurately tell me if it was raining even if he was standing outside.

Has to be a serious contender in terms of per pound benefit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

luke young if he hasnt been mentioned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Morzadec wrote: »
    Also - excuse my ignorance - but who is Gary Twigg?

:eek: Shocking statement, just shocking. Shamrock Rovers striker, scored a hatrick against galway last week and a double against Pats on Saturday. 8 goals in 9 games so far.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I want to do to Arshavin what Mr Alan spends his evenings thinking about doing to Torres...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Sorry Pepe, the Inn is full. Your feelings for the Russian are not comparable to my love for the great man.

Mr Alan & Torres-"giving yourself to me, can never be wrong, when the love is true"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Albert Riera-cost about 5m iirc, been excellent for virtually the whole year. slipped into the team fairly effortlessly.

lmao

wats funny about that?

Riera was a very good signing alright, but he wasn't even the best Spanish winger signed in the EPL this year, Jonas has impressed me more tbh...

• Advertisement

Jonas impressed me very much early on in his Newcastle career, not so much recently. Does look like an excellent player though & a very good buy.

Although taking all things into account, i'd have to rate Riera as the better buy, his impact at Liverpool this year has been massive, since virtually his first start where he was amazing against Utd in Anfield.

2nd post, Liverpool fan, straight in with the most average signing tbh (re Reira). Decent enough but best buy no chance

Twigg for me too. At it again at the weekend.
    Arshavin and Schwarzer were great buys.

EDIT: Ive watched that video, alot of flicks here and there but not a vast amount of end product. This is the kind of videos that would make any ordinary player look fantastic (showing liccle clips here and there) but even here it fails imo. Crossing is terrible in 3 or 4 or the clips shown. His record in the league for an attacking winger is poor enough too (3 goals, 4 assists).

Even Ryan " player of the year has no legs and hasnt been that great this season" Giggsy has a better record in 1 goal and 8 assists. Has played almost 600 minutes less too (572 according to premierleague.com)

don't think you're reading my post here.

he's not an average signing...he was an excellent signing.

Not the best in the world or world class, but for small fee paid for him, he has slipped into a top 4 side, and helped in their improvement this year, moving them a massive way closer to their ultimate goal of winning the PL title. He also does his bit defensively & seems to be a great influence around the team, no moaning if he is rested rotated & always tries his bollox off.

He is about the only "new" buy who is/was a regular in the team that is clearly so much better this year than last. He is not the sole reason obviously, but he is a major one. And you call that average? :rolleyes:

And you call that average? :rolleyes:
    We'll have to agree to disagree there Al, read my edit. Sorry I took ages to edit it.

I think he was way too hot and cold, had some bad performances... and was his fee only 5m? I dont know now just tohught it was more. Better list of players can be mentioned to be honest. My three for starters.

He is about the only "new" buy who is/was a regular in the team that is clearly so much better this year than last

GOALKEEPER - FULHAM - BETTER EXAMPLE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

don't think you're reading my post here.

he's not an average signing...he was an excellent signing.

Not the best in the world or world class, but for small fee paid for him, he has slipped into a top 4 side, and helped in their improvement this year, moving them a massive way closer to their ultimate goal of winning the PL title. He also does his bit defensively & seems to be a great influence around the team, no moaning if he is rested rotated & always tries his bollox off.

He is about the only "new" buy who is/was a regular in the team that is clearly so much better this year than last. He is not the sole reason obviously, but he is a major one. And you call that average? :rolleyes:
    I am an infrequent poster to the forum nowadays but I can still see why many people can't but help to dispute your one-eyed claims. And I say this as a Liverpool fan.

Reira has had a few good games for Liverpool, and many average ones. His goal tally is pretty poor for a guy how plays in such an advanced role. Kuyt has almost three times as many goals as him FFS!

I reckon we could simply point to the flaws in your point by asking you - who would be your starting Liverpool team for the Newcastle game? I reckon it wouldn't even include Reira, and rightly so.

Your complete pro-Liverpoolness embarasses me.

dont think his fee was disclosed, meant to be between 5 & 8 depending on who you believe. either way still a bargain.

I went looking for a 3 minute highlight reel of his first game against Utd, he was ****ing immesnse that game, but its been taken down :( incidentally, people in the Liverpool thread at the time were calling it the best performance by any Liverpool player on the left side of midfield for 3 years, in his home debut! average pfft!

I went looking for a 3 minute highlight reel of his first game against Utd, he was ****ing immesnse that game, but its been taken down :( incidentally, people in the Liverpool thread at the time were calling it the best performance by any Liverpool player on the left side of midfield for 3 years, in his home debut! average pfft!

He was very good that day ye, one game though. I recall a certain Uruguayan having a somewhat fruitful game in that fixture once upon a time too, albeit with the help of Dudek for the goal(s)! Doesnt make him him a "great" signing though

Anyhow I've said my bit, my opinion on the guy. I'd say there is a few that would agree with me too.

I'm off to bed now, wrecked after that weekend in Manchester

Trilla wrote: »
    GOALKEEPER - FULHAM - BETTER EXAMPLE

Not doubting it. As i said, it was only my opinion on one of the best buys of the year.

It is funny how you found my post so funny & there was such a need to drag it up days later, but the post putting young Rafael forward despite 1)playing **** all 2)being bought 2 years ago.....was perfectly a good and reasoned point! :rolleyes: once a manc..... ;)
    I am an infrequent poster to the forum nowadays but I can still see why many people can't but help to dispute your one-eyed claims. And I say this as a Liverpool fan.

Reira has had a few good games for Liverpool, and many average ones. His goal tally is pretty poor for a guy how plays in such an advanced role. Kuyt has almost three times as many goals as him FFS!

I reckon we could simply point to the flaws in your point by asking you - who would be your starting Liverpool team for the Newcastle game? I reckon it wouldn't even include Reira, and rightly so.

Your complete pro-Liverpoolness embarasses me.

hmmm, i bet you were one of the Rafa out crew that disappeared!

1)He has more than a few good games. considerably more
    2)Kuyt cost more,played substantially more, is here way longer & is there or there abouts for our player of the year imo.not really a fair comparison, he is also a converted striker so will always be more of a goal threat.
    3)Riera does more than his share defensively & adjusted his game to do this
    4)Riera is in my strongest Liverpool line-up every day of the week.

Against top teams-

Masch-Alonso
    --Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Riera--
    Torres

Against weaker teams-

Gerrard---Alonso
    ---Kuyt
    Benyoun
    Riera
    Torres

so, sorry about ya :P

• Advertisement

It is funny how you found my post so funny & there was such a need to drag it up days later, but the post putting young Rafael forward despite 1)playing **** all 2)being bought 2 years ago.....was perfectly a good and reasoned point! :rolleyes: once a manc..... ;)

Didnt see that, yours was the second post in fairness. Rafael, is that worth commenting on considering it doesnt meet the criteria of the thread?

Yours was a valid answer, a very biased and imo a silly one, but valid nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Didn't a lot of united fans proclaim Veron as the best player on the planet after his debut for them. Look how that turned out. One good game does not a great player make!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Riera has had some patchy spells this season, but i think he's been a great buy. Even when he's not playing great he gives us good balance. Hopefully he'll show us more next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

hmmm, i bet you were one of the Rafa out crew that disappeared!
    (1) Not quite.
    (2) Better to be that than one who puts blind optimism behind the team.
    (3) Not sure what relevance it has anyway.
    1)He has more than a few good games. considerably more
    "Considerably more than a few"? That hardly makes him signing of the season. Name them anyway for the craic?

He's been good, don't get me wrong, but just not that good.
    2)Kuyt cost more,played substantially more, is here way longer & is there or there abouts for our player of the year imo.not really a fair comparison, he is also a converted striker so will always be more of a goal threat.
    And Kuyt had one of his best seasons and still hardly set the world alight, all be it he did very well, but just think about that before you nominate Reira for "signing of the season".
    3)Riera does more than his share defensively & adjusted his game to do this
    4)Riera is in my strongest Liverpool line-up every day of the week.

Against top teams-

Masch-Alonso
    --Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Riera--
    Torres

Against weaker teams-

Gerrard---Alonso
    ---Kuyt
    Benyoun
    Riera
    Torres

so, sorry about ya :P
    I'm sure. Something just tells me thought that you've been championing Benayoun for a starting place the last few weeks....

Advertisement