Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst signings of the season 08/09

• 22-04-2009 5:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

On the flip side, who has flopped?

Robbie Keane (Liverpool) - It's all been said before.

Dave Kitson (Stoke City) - Record signing, zero goals, shipped out on loan.

Nicky Shorey (Aston Villa) - So bad he was dropped in favour of a playing a centre mid at full back.

Jo (Manchester City) - Waste of money.

Tal Ben Haim (Manchester City) - Seemed like a good idea at the time. Played crap, got sent out on loan, and now can't get a game for Sunderland.

David Bentley (Tottenham Hotspur) - One wonder strike against Arsenal can't compensate for the awfulness that has been Bentley this year.

Giovani Dos Santos (Tottenham Hotspur) - Barcelona wonder kid? Lol

Xisco (Newcastle United) - Simply horrendous.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Jo has being decent for Everton, I'm blaming Hughes on that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Pavlyunchenko bloke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Berbatov.

No one denies his ability, but for that money paid, he has to do better, which at the minute he looks incapable of.

One could also argue his "couldn't give a bollox attitude" has also spread to a number of his team mates this season.

*Utd fans, don't freak out, if you disagree, fair enough. But Utd were a better team without him, this is undeniable imo.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Berbatov.

No one denies his ability, but for that money paid, he has to do better, which at the minute he looks incapable of.

One could also argue his "couldn't give a bollox attitude" has also spread to a number of his team mates this season.

*Utd fans, don't freak out, if you disagree, fair enough. But Utd were a better team without him, this is undeniable imo.
    I agree :( our team last season was phenomenally fast , with Berba we are so slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Alexander Hleb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Silvestlol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

Heskey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭SlyRax

I'm a huge united fan and I agree. He needs to do something fast. He has broken up what was the most potent strike force last year. I get the feeling that what he wanted to do was play for united. He has achieved his dream now so he couldn't be a**ed any more

eZe^ wrote: »
    Alexander Hleb.
    Barca certainly dont need him lol :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Chong wrote: »
    I agree :( our team last season was phenomenally fast , with Berba we are so slow.
    my impression was that ferguson wanted a goalscorer when ronaldo wanted to move. I think utd being a better team last season was down to ronaldo's form last season, and his failure to replicate it this season.

• Advertisement

Degan.

If it wasn't for a wonderous little flick in pre-season against Tranmere, i would be suspicious of his existence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I still think Berba will confound the critics and help United to success.

For terrible signings how about West Brom's record £4.7m signing, Valero. I can't recall him doing anything of note.

For terrible signings how about West Brom's record £4.7m signing, Valero. I can't recall him doing anything of note.
    Who's Valero? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I think Berbs having the highest assists for United rules him out of worst signing of the season

Utd enjoying success wouldn't make Berba a good signing. They were enjoying success before he arrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Who's Valero? :)

Exactly ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,595 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Torres. I signed him for my Fantasy Football team twice in the first couple of months and he got injured straight away.

hmmmmm. Maybe I should go sign him now and see if the trick works again

KevIRL wrote: »
    Torres. I signed him for my Fantasy Football team twice in the first couple of months and he got injured straight away.

hmmmmm. Maybe I should go sign him now and see if the trick works again
    Please do that Kev :)

I will ready the voodoo doll!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Degen - (although he was free so its not the end of the world)
    Dossena - Hes had about 3 good performances, thats it. Cant seem to defend and usually over hits his crosses. Scored a couple of goals, but apart from that has looked nothing like the player he was hyped up to be. Definitely not worth 8m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Saha for Everton. It was a risky buy that hasn't paid off. The glassman has spent his usual 3/4 of the season on the sidelines with his feet up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

What about Deco? I've heard a lot of negativity. I know he hasn't reproduced his Barca form, but I think that's largely down to not fitting into the Chelsea midfield.

Tom65 wrote: »
    What about Deco? I've heard a lot of negativity. I know he hasn't reproduced his Barca form, but I think that's largely down to not fitting into the Chelsea midfield.
    Jesus that reminds me I aint seen him play in a while, is he injured?

Jesus that reminds me I aint seen him play in a while, is he injured?
    Paul Robinson - Blackburn
    Younes Kaboul - Pompey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Jimmy Bullard worst signing by far 5m for 36 minutes and they knew he wasn't fully fit when they bought him

other then that Kitson

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Really think you have to look at transfer fees as a massive factor when deciding these...

Therefore for me Berbatov would be up there due to the huge amount paid. He hasn't been terrible, has even been good in parts but for the amount paid, its looking like a huge waste of money. However the jury is still very much out, a few important goals in the title run in and he'll probably be out of the running for this award despite his fee.

For similar reasons Keane would be a contender, but as Liverpool only lost maybe 6m (?) on him, he doesn't stand out quite so much. However what also must be remembered is that the mistake of signing him (while largely recovered) also extends to the fact that now Liverpool have been left short up front as Ngog isn't good enough at this level. His contendership for this award is not so much based on him being a waste of money, but more so on the fact that his signing was a wasted opportunity considering he was the only high profile summer signing.

Deco would be up there. Big enough fee and probably huge wages as well.

Dossena stands out as for me (despite his wonderful goal against United). As a Liverppol fan I have watched him quite a lot and I think he is quite a poor player. Baffled at how he can get into the Italy squad to be honest. He has some good attributes (Strength, speed, power) but there is little point in bombing forward if only one in every three or four crosses is in any way good. His crossing is fairly consistently awful which really isn't good enough for an attacking team that encourages full backs to get forward. 6 million is a decent amount of money for a full back and at the moment he's third in line after Aurelio and Insua. Also lost Riise to facilitate him, who IMO offers a lot more.

Jo. 18 million if I remember correctly which is a fairly huge fee. He's done next to nothing for City, and while they can afford it I still feels he warrants a strong mention. Ironically he could also be a runner for signing of the season, as Everton have got some great use out of him for free when they had a major crisis in terms of fit strikers.

Bentley. Massive fee and is now warming the bench, strong contender. Spurs will be lucky to recoup even half of what they paid.

It's very hard to pick a winner. Come back to me at the end of the season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Pavlyunchenko bloke

Nowhere near the worst signing of the season

We overpaid for him but Im quite happy with Pav.

Worst signing of the season for me is David Bentley. Absolute waste of space.

I think the Berbatov signing was pretty bad for United and Jo for Man City is another that springs to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Xavi6 wrote: »

Nicky Shorey (Aston Villa) - So bad he was dropped in favour of a playing a centre mid at full back.

Tal Ben Haim (Manchester City) - Seemed like a good idea at the time. Played crap, got sent out on loan, and now can't get a game for Sunderland.

David Bentley (Tottenham Hotspur) - One wonder strike against Arsenal can't compensate for the awfulness that has been Bentley this year.

Where is Berbatov and more importantly were is the poll ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

redout wrote: »
    Where is Berbatov

Most assists at United this year. Overpriced maybe but not a bad signing.
    and more importantly were is the poll ?

And who is going to decide who is in it, how many options there should be etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Tusky wrote: »
    Degen - (although he was free so its not the end of the world)
    Dossena - Hes had about 3 good performances, thats it. Cant seem to defend and usually over hits his crosses. Scored a couple of goals, but apart from that has looked nothing like the player he was hyped up to be. Definitely not worth 8m.

even liverpool fans are inflating our transfers! he cost us £6-7m or about €8m afaik

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/nov/07/liverpool-premier-league

EDIT: i presumed you were talking pounds but you're hardly gonna admit that now!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Jimmy Bullard. Great player and all but that must be gutting for Hull. :)

Kevin Nolan. Great player when he was with Bolton but he's doing nothing for Newcastle bar giving the ball away cheaply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Where's berbatov on that list? At 3m ok fair enough but 30m he defo should be on there. Terrible attitude and general goals per game record is'nt impressive at all.

Highsider wrote: »
    Where's berbatov on that list? At 3m ok fair enough but 30m he defo should be on there. Terrible attitude and general goals per game record is'nt impressive at all.

Read up 3 posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Let the members decide in poll

And who is going to decide who is in it, how many options there should be etc?

Xavi6 = God so he would be a good bet to decide, no ;)

I'll see how it goes over the next while and put up a poll then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I'll nominate Steve Sidwell, bar a stunner against Everton and a good game against Arsenal away, he has either been consistently anonymous or impacted on a game in the wrong way (sent off, OGs or giving away penalties). In his defence he has been injured and played little football at Chelski but still he has been useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Other way around if you ask me. Overpriced - no, it was the going rate at the time. Bad signing - yes, because his bad attributes have disrupted Utd's attacking game to a larger extent than his assists have improved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Hleb...Flamini....Senderos....you know where I'm going with this.....Hoyte.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Pighead wrote: »
    Saha for Everton. It was a risky buy that hasn't paid off. The glassman has spent his usual 3/4 of the season on the sidelines with his feet up.

It was on a free and he gets paid per appearance..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Berbatov.

Agree

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

It was on a free and he gets paid per appearance..
    And he's done fairly well when he has played

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

And he's done fairly well when he has played

Indeed. The suggestion he is the worst signing of the season is actually retarded. Strong words I know but it is an awful suggestion.

Edit: 22 appearence, 12 as a sub, and 5 goals. Not too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

It's hard to look past Bentley in terms of money spent and performances.

One goal against Arsenal and zero else.
    £17 million at the time didn't seem THAT insane but now? :eek:

Anton Ferdinand? £8 million.
    Deco was decent for a while but physically he can't take a full season.

Coloccini? £10 million.

Obviously Jo but he has shown something at Everton but was never worth that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

JPA wrote: »
    Anton Ferdinand? £8 million.

Coloccini? £10 million.

Was not aware of these price tags :eek: Coloccini must be in with a great shout.

Morzadec wrote: »
    Was not aware of these price tags :eek: Coloccini must be in with a great shout.

Coloccini had a great reputation in fairness to Newcastle, an Argentinian international etc.

Maybe it's just that Newcastle sucked him down to their level. No offence Newcastle fans.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Quaresma, twice.

Quaresma, twice.

Just a loan though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Alan Shearer

DSB wrote: »
    Alan Shearer

Tony Adams. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

This isn't green tinted glasses now but I think judging robbie on half a season is a little unfair. I personally didn't want him to go but he acted unprofessional by bitching and moaning.

He's still a huffer and puffer in my book, I just think he would have been a handy addition coming off the bench.

Bottom line is though, if its the club you grew up wishing that you could even play one game, man up and just ****ing deal with rotation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

JPA wrote: »
    Coloccini had a great reputation in fairness to Newcastle, an Argentinian international etc.

Maybe it's just that Newcastle sucked him down to their level. No offence Newcastle fans.

No offence taken. Performed great in the first couple of games but he's been making a lot of mistakes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement