Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spencer Dock HDR C & C

• 22-04-2009 5:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,508 ✭✭✭✭

Went down to the south quays on two consecutive Sundays in March & caught the Spencer Dock cylinder before they installed the staircase, did some HDR with my D90 (-2/0/+2 exposure bracketing on aperture priority) and a little PP with CS3. Haven't forked out yet for the Photomatix licence as you can see from the watermarks.

Comments welcome.

BCB96FB44A074953AC027611A1FA25B6-800.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Personally I would like to see it straightened (slight rotation clockwise).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

I think it needs a rotation too but it's a nice subtle HDR. Very good for a first try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

I think the crane going out of the picture at the top right is a bit distracting, might have gone for a different composition to put it in or take it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,508 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Nisio wrote: »
    I think the crane going out of the picture at the top right is a bit distracting, might have gone for a different composition to put it in or take it out
    Agreed, cranes are a challenge in this type of shoot, my priority was to get the main building with the cylinder without the party boat which is moored to the right but I also wanted to take in all of the the Commerzbank building on the left, that essentially dictated the frame so the crane was in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

More contrast in curves will bring it back from looking too much like a HDR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Orly

As mentioned already, I think the composition could be made a lot nicer - straightened up mostly. As for the HDR aspect - I'm not sure a shot like this works or needs such heavy processing.

An exposure for the sky and one for the for the building would probably do the trick, combined in Photoshop and tweaked in Camera Raw, you would have a far more interesting shot which wouldn't look so obviosuly dragged through Photomatix, like so much of what we see online these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 broad_sword

Nice shot. It could be my monitor, but the shot looks a little on the blue side. Did you shoot raw? If you did, I'd maybe go back over each bracketed shot and set the white balance to 'daylight', then tone map again in Photomatix. It might take some of that blue cast out of the shot. Well done though... must head down there myself with the camera soon ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,508 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Nice shot. It could be my monitor, but the shot looks a little on the blue side. Did you shoot raw? If you did, I'd maybe go back over each bracketed shot and set the white balance to 'daylight', then tone map again in Photomatix. It might take some of that blue cast out of the shot. Well done though... must head down there myself with the camera soon ;)

Yes, since you ask I did shoot RAW but on the 2nd Sunday. Doesn't the issue of white balance go moot when you shoot RAW i.e. it doesn't matter whether you used sRGB or Adobe RGB when you shoot RAW?

Advertisement